October Feisties 2012 - Are You Having Hip Surgery In October?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I get to join you guys as an October Feisty and I'm SOOOOOOO happy! Just scheduled surgery this morning and my two new hips will be arriving October 16. Hip hip hooray! You know the pain is awful when getting a surgery date is cause for celebration!

Bless the fabulous surgeon for agreeing to do a bilateral. He only does anterior approaches and is literally the best in the region--he did my hubby's hip last January with fabulous results. I don't know how long I'll have to stay in the hospital, but I'm hoping it won't be for more than a couple of nights.

Weezy
 
Hello everyone,

I found out yesterday that I will have my RTHR on October 8th. Kind of short notice, but I'm glad to have it scheduled. The x-ray shows a collapsing on the inner side of the femoral head. I think I could have told them the area based on my pain. Happy to be here and getting it done soon. Got all of my pre-surgery appointments scheduled today. I really feel relieved.
 
Fantastic news on your surgery date Dobeck Best that it is fixed sooner rather than later. [Bonesmart.org] October Feisties 2012 - Are You Having Hip Surgery In October?

That time will go quickly, are you all ready with you post op gear etc?
 
Hi to all October Fiesties... won't be long now..
 
Hi Poppet,

I have a bunch of appointments next week to get prepared for the surgery. I have a Joint Replacement Class at the hospital which they said was an hour and a half long. At that time the order anything you need. I have pretty good Insurance and have paid the max out of pocket for the year so, everything should be covered. I hope! Thanks.
 
I will be having RTHR October 5th. Spending lots of time prepping. I have found all equipment second hand. The best find was a brand new sock aid for 71 cents at the Salvation Army. Still need to lay in gel packs and pillows. So glad I have found this forum.
 
Congrats on the early date, Dobeck! I'm so happy for you. I notice you're getting an anterior too. I'll be interested to see what you think "on the other side."

Healthyhip--welcome! What a great idea, shopping at second hand stores. Never thought of that for hip gear (although I often frequent them just because). Fortunately, we have everything because I used all that sort of stuff for my knee replacements and then hubby had his hip done. "Handles" on the toilet so one can support oneself up and down were probably the best thing.... next to the "dog leash" style leg lifter.

Weezy
 
Hello,

I'm interested in getting things the best way I can since the past three years my out of pocket expenses have been so much with this being my third surgery since 2010. I hope I don't have to go under the knife next year. I will get a list of items Thursday with my Joint Replacement class. Then I will scramble to get everything. I hope one day my life won't be one hurry up moment after another. I wish I would have taken some of my mother's equipment after she passed. Funny, I purchased all of the things she needed and now have to get them for myself. She had knee replacement about 10 years ago. I lost her this year in May to cancer. I really miss her.
 
Forgot to mention, Weezy we can compare notes on the anterior position surgery. My surgeon does over 400 per year which came as a shock when I asked him during my OS interview. Bilateral is probably what I should be doing, but I don't have a lot of pain in my left hip from my AVN. I only recently have some pain and I think its from the way I walk. It doesn't feel the same as my right hip did.
 
I had my pre op visit today! 9 days to go before new wonderful right hip. I came home and adjusted my borrowed crutches to my height and practiced going up and down the stairs on the front porch. I have a walker too, but it is too large to get around in the living room. ( good to know pre op). My surgeon also recommended taking a few days off pre op. He was very non committal about my post op progress, but his assistant was so positive. " we used to have people come in after two weeks with the type of surgery you are having, but we stopped doing it because everyone does so well...just call me if you need anything". I am having anterior approach. I am glad that all of you are here with me. We are all going to be so much better soon thanks to modern medicine. Keep the faith and do your exercises!

Catherine
RTHR 10/5/12
 
Having my second hip done on the 30th October, I thought it might have lasted a bit longer but my physio explained my left hip was struggling to keep pace with my new right one , also walking around the camps in Poland in August didn't help, so off to Turkey for two weeks then a week or so to sort stuff out before surgery, should be good for Crimbo

Re my new right hip no pain but muscles around feel tight and solid and I have some mild soreness and tingling, physio thinks due to nerves repairing , hopefully when both fixed I can get back down gym in a few months and loosen them up
 
Hi to Dingbat7; Healthyhip12; Weezy; and all the other October Feisties... So very pleased that you are on the October train..
[Bonesmart.org] October Feisties 2012 - Are You Having Hip Surgery In October? steaming along on your journeys to a better quality of life...

I look forward to following each of your journeys :)
 
Hello Y'all,

That's my bad impression of a southerner. I'm just south of the Mason Dixon Line so, I will call my self a Southerner. Just thought I'd start on a light note. Wow...Busy day today with pre-op appointment, blood work, donating my own blood, Joint Replacement Class and a chest x-ray. It took all of my energy and I was wiped out and in a good bit of pain this evening. The class was great and kind of gave you realistic expectations of the surgery post and pre-op.

I got some of my supplies early so, I can get them installed in my house. I ordered them from Walmart on-line. I'm not a big fan of Walmart, but they were pretty cheap compared to the hospital, Target and Walgreens for the same stuff. I had some of the stuff like a cane and crutches from my Core Decompression. I only had to purchase a high toilet seat and shower chair. Everything else is give to you at the hospital. I guess they work it all into their price. Apparently, with the new Insurance rules if you get a cane or walker you have to keep it for life. I will be packing it up after recovering from surgery and keeping it until I"m in my 80's - I hope!!! :SUNsmile:
 
I hit post too soon. I wanted to ask about swelling. At the Joint Replacement class they mentioned swelling from your hip to your knee and around to your lower back is possible. I was kind of surprised about swelling down to your knee. Anyone experience this?
 
Dobeck....re the swelling....were they discussing a posterior or anterior approach? I notice that you're also have an anterior approach. Hubby had an anterior THR in January and had very minimal swelling--nothing at all like what you were told. He described his swelling as feeling like he had his wallet right at his hip joint. There wasn't any visible swelling except right around the incision.

Weezy
 
Hi Dobeck Dobeck;

Following a THR most folk will develop swelling in the operated leg. Although the amount can vary from patient to patient, and swelling in the leg, knee, ankle or foot can occur and is quite normal and will usually resolve gradually over several weeks, but can continue in some folk for months, but this is not as common.

Elevating and ice packs are your best friend for treating the swelling? To effectively reduce the swelling your foot should be above your heart. This requires that you are laying down to achieve this position. Sitting in a chair with your leg propped up won't achieve the results.

Also, doing your ankle pumps and wiggling your toes, this makes your muscles work to remove some of the swelling.

It is also a good idea to ice if you have been on your feet for a while or after PT..

Following my surgery, I iced constantly, infact I used to go to sleep wrapped in ice packs... Of course, always make sure the ice pack is not directly in contact with your skin, I used to place the gel ice packs in a pillow case and lay on them, rest them on my hip/ leg.. Wherever they produced the most comfort. :)
 
Hi Everyone, I am having surgery October 3!!!!!! Scary!!! I just found your site and am very pleased with all the info, stories, questions, and suggestions from everyone. I hope that I will in the future be able to add some valuable information to pass along as soon as I leap the fence and make it to the otherside. :)
I have been dealing with bilateral dysplasia for years and finally the pain in the groin, greater trochanter, and limp has got the best of me. I decided its time for me and thus I will be having a LTHR and am looking forward to the months ahead when I really start to recover.
 
Hello everyone. After four years (two of which being misdiagnosed as having a back problem) I'm finally getting my right hip replaced October 22 due to osteoarthritis. Metal stem, polyethylene cup, and ceramic head. A little nervous, lots to do beforehand, but I'm looking forward to getting this thing fixed. Eventually, the left hip will have to be replaced too, so I'll see how this one goes first.


Hi , I am due for a right hip replacement on 11th October,I will also need the left one done at some stage.
Good luck
 
Hi dilbhadev;

Welcome to your BoneSmart international family, great that you have joined.

Perhaps you would like to start a thread of your own in the pre op side of the forum and tell us a little more about about yourself and your situation, that way members can post directly to you :)
 
Hi Poppet,
Thanks for the welcome.
I am based in England, I am 52 or will be in November.
Not looking forward to the op, finding it difficult at the thought of being immobile for such a long period.
I must admit the condition has made me lazy, i have put on a lot of weight and don't feel I am in good condition.
I have played a lot of tennis , cricket and now golf in my life and this has caused some of the tears in my hip which have led me to the hip replacement stage.I am having a pre op check up on Tuesday 2nd Oct . I hope all goes well .
Once again thanks for the welcome.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom