Revision THR Och a wee set back

One more question, is the surgeon sending the prosthesis back to the manufactures for investigations?


No idea I'm afraid Josephine said very little to me and the surgeon never came to see me just the registrar and didn't mention what would happen next, hoping I will get some feedback on the 7th April.
 
Well got a really nice gift from my work had a whip round and got me a box of beers flowers for my wife and fruit with a nice card and money inside so I will get a nice take away tonight. Oh and a caramel sundae from McDonalds which made me laugh.

Billy
 
Sounds like you are really progressing through this recovery @forbesy . I do hope they send your implant back the the manufacturers! They just should not break like that!

Nice that you got gifts from work. All I got was "get back to work in 4 weeks or no pay"! :heehee:
 
Forbesy, if I were you, I'd phone the surgeon's secretary and ask her for that information. After all, if you had a serious accident in a car due to a fault part, you'd expect the garage to tell you what they'd done with it, if it was being sent for investigations and all that, wouldn't you? And you'd expect to be able to sue the manufacturer too.

Therefore, if this failure was due to a manufacturing error or corrosion, you could likewise have a case against the firm for compensation. You can do that through the charity AvMA - Action Against Medical Accidents. Don't be 'iffy' about this, you had to have major surgery because of this. It's your right.
 
Billy, I've added your new hip icon to your profile block. Now you're all up to date!

I hope things are going okay for you. I agree with Jo....this is a time you need to be a bit vocal about all that's happened.
 
Hello forbesy,
I was really shocked when I originally heard of your hip break, more so when I saw the exray and even more so when you were told it was to do with your weight. This mightbe an isolated incident but there also might be many hips with the same fault!

It could be a person much older than you or I who is not strong enough for a second op who has an equally faulty hip emplacement. It is for this reason I would want to be sure it has been reported to the manufacturer and know whathey have done so far. I think you would be doing the hip community a big favour if you were to talk to "action against medical accidents" and consider asking for compensation.

My reasoning;
1. because you do not deserve the drama that has happened.
2. you should not have had to have double the stress, nor should your wife
3. to protect other people who may not be strong enough to deal with second op

You have got through all of this quite bravely- I admire you!
 
Hi @forbesy
Hope my above mail was not too strong and hope it did not offend you. You are so helpful and kind to everyone I would never want to upset you!

x
 
Jeez was this at the NRIE?!? That sounds awful and I hope you are in a better place now x

I was supposed to go to the NRIE and have Mr Gaston as my surgeon but ended up at the Golden Jubilee, brilliant hospital, so glad I ended up there as I wasn't looking forward to being an inpatient at the Royal and after hearing your story I'm sooooo glad!
 
Hi Josephine / Jamie


And you'd expect to be able to sue the manufacturer too.
Josephine I have already thought long and hard about this and although I felt a bit guilty I spoke to solicitors Digby Brown in Edinburgh who deal with medical misshaps and they have agreed to take on my case after I talk to the hospital on the 7th April but asked if I could find out if the faulty hip was sent away for investigation or not. I did phone the ward but didn't realise he may have had a secretary. I may give the Royal another call tomorrow.

Hope my above mail was not too strong and hope it did not offend you
Copsham don't be silly I really appreciate your support big hug all the way from Scotland

I wasn't looking forward to being an inpatient at the Royal and after hearing your story I'm sooooo glad!

Don't blame you Mjo and glad everything went well through in Glasgow, I didn't honestly think after my second op I would be back for a third, I really hope this doesn't happen to anyone else and everyone has a speedy recovery.

Billy, I've added your new hip icon to your profile block. Now
you're all up to date!

Cheers Jamie and was dissapointed you received nilpwa form your work colleagues four weeks jeezo did you really go back after four weeks
 
was dissapointed you received nilpwa form your work colleagues four weeks jeezo did you really go back after four weeks
Huh?? I'm confused....do you have me mixed up with someone else???
 
Have a slightly sore foot tonight is that a sign sure I have heard one or two folk talk about this on a thread on here at one point or another.
 
The ward - they'd know nowt! This would have been handled only in the theatre. I bet you any money they just binned it.

Spot on Josephine and I firmly believe that may be the case when I get to my appointment on the 7th April but hey ho will give it a shot. 02:16 in the morning choked with the cold and driving my wife up the wall down for a lemsip to see it that will do the trick.

Billy
 
Sorry to hear of your cold. Hope it gets better soon. We have all put up with such big things re hip, pain etc then along comes a "little" thing like a cold which has a real impact if you are not sleeping at 2am. Lemsip can be a wonderful cure all - hope it worked for you and hope you have a better day/night.

I was surprised to hear that your faulty hip might have been thrown away! Everything is so different than what I assume will happen!

Look after yourself x
 
@copsham wouldn't have happened in my day!
[Bonesmart.org] Och a wee set back


[Bonesmart.org] Och a wee set back
 
Sorry to hear of your cold. Hope it gets better soon. We have all put up with such big things re hip, pain etc then along comes a "little" thing like a cold which has a real impact if you are not sleeping at 2am. Lemsip can be a wonderful cure all - hope it worked for you and hope you have a better day/night.

I was surprised to hear that your faulty hip might have been thrown away! Everything is so different than what I assume will happen!

Look after yourself x

Hi Copsham and thanks for your concern, my cold is on the way out after a generous serving of lemsips, well seven days to go until I can drive and have a baaaaaaaaaaath :wow: can't wait and will get couple of cans of cold beers to celebrate, might even steal a couple of the wives candles and go the whole hogg and put my sign outside the door [ please don't disturb ]

Billy
 
jeezo did you really go back after four weeks
Yes, I did start working from home part time after 4 weeks and was full time (home and some office) at 6 weeks. I really felt pressured to do this even though my surgeon had signed me off for at least 6 weeks.
might even steal a couple of the wives candles and go the whole hogg and put my sign outside the door [ please don't disturb ]
Enjoy @forbesy , you deserve lots of TLC after all this!
 
Hi @forbesy
Being able to drive again will be fantastic. Isn't it a long wait. i actually felt nervous but it only lasted a few minutes!

I like doing little things that make me feel pampered the equivalent of your candles such as sitting outside and watching the sunset, burning aromatherapy oils, eating quality chocolates etc.

I love long soaks in the bath but an up the road neighbour slipped while getting out of the bath and dislocated her newly done hip. This has made me very careful, making sure nothing on the floor, no bath oils to make the bath slippery, having a very measured step out - not sounding very luxurious or pampering is it!

We are lucky to be on the other side and going forward. Take care and get out of the bath carefully.

Copsham x
 
Well been to my appointment on the 7th nice woman and looked a tad shocked when I discussed how I felt but stressed the nurses were really nice while I stayed at the Royal Infirmary. When I questioned the cause of the hip failure and what the surgeon had stated she asked If I wanted a complaints form, I have it tucked away half filled out.
When I enquired about what had happened to the hip and and that I had no feedback whatsoever It was suggested that I contact Mr Burnett's secretary [ as suggested by Josephine.] I also expressed that these hips are built to cope with combine weights of 500 lbs plus she agreed and stated what happened to me was very unusual. I managed to get hold of his secretary yesterday but she tried to bump me onto someone else. After advising I had Digby Brown involved her tone changed and she expressed she would get back to me after checking my notes.

The woman holding the discussion with me asked how I felt and stressed although I was walking without my crutches I found my muscles were very weak. She stressed I should attend a physio but sure Josephine stressed they cause more damage than good [ can anyone quote me on this ].
Got my car back after Its mot today and hopefully I will be able to drive it on Friday along with my luxurious bath the clock is ticking. :wink:
 
Back
Top Bottom