Revision THR Och a wee set back

he feels the problem was my weight .........

How long has the registrar studied complexities of hip replacements and the uncommon happenings?
Based on what research do they say it is your weight??
And how many people of similar weight do not have this happening to them?
It makes me angry that it should happen at all. On top of that if this is happens occassionally all around the country or the world and every one being told its their fault, there is no opportunity for the situation to be improved!

hope your luck changes from now on!
 
he feels the problem was my weight.
What nonsense! These devices are factory tested to cope with weights up to 500lbs and more. However, IF he used a device that was going to fail under your weight then he is at fault for not selecting a heavy duty stem. There are always ranges available.

But copsham asked the questions - what is your weight?
 
copsham

Cheers was feeling a bit down when in the hospital but a bit more chirpy now.

Hi Jo

I would say roughly 17 stone
 
238lbs - that's less than I weigh! And I've nursed a ton (pardon the pun) of patients that were 350 and even 400lbs and had hip replacements.
 
I didn't realise that these hips could deal with 500lbs and more it will give me some ammunition when I confront the orthopedic practitioner. I am pretty sure she will go down the line of the surgeon and registrar but will cross that bridge when I come to it.

Billy
 
It's the same with any device in any trade. They are always tested to extremes for weeks on a test beds like this

[Bonesmart.org] Och a wee set back
[Bonesmart.org] Och a wee set back
 
Well your not going to believe it and you know I don't do things by halves, I am in for my other eye, cataract op next Wednesday called them to update and confirmed it should be ok. Onwards and Upwards

Billy
 
You are amazing all these "little things" to keep you occupied!
 
@forbesy - well, you might as well get it all done and dusted! At least cataract surgery is pretty straight forward. Nothing like recovery from THR! All the best!
 
Copsham, Jacey

Cheers folks just want that out the road as well and It will save me taking more time off my work.
 
Went up to the docs to get my badge of honour checked out by the nurse everything fine and not giving me a lot of pain onwards and upwards.

Billy
 
It's at times like these that you realise how important it is to get the support that it is needed to help you through the hard times. So I have chosen this moment to thank all the people who helped me through mines, a lot of names you won,t recognise but where special to me and I feel it is better late than never to say a big thank you.

nadineme
lisanewmc
kildaliz
mrsgibbo
pctcoach
sharonship
haggiswhisperer
joankr
nanamac
suzieslips
cappuccino kid
haldox
welshjane
Vthreadandnow
Poppet
and of course the top brass Jamie, Jacey and Josephine. I have probably missed some and please accept my sincere apologies.

Billy
 
Forbesy, your story reminds me of when I purchased a Ford van for running around with my six kids!! I had the car for about six months when I opened the door and it fell off in my hands!!! it was huge and i almost fell under it!! Luckily someone saw it happen and helped me jam the door back on so that I could take the kids home and the car to the garage. When I got there, the mechanic asked me if I had been opening and closing the door roughly!!!! What?? I weigh 140 lbs (sorry, metrically challanged!!) and the door probably weighed the same, but the mechanic from Ford tried to say that I had been putting my full weight on the door and had caused a tiny plastic piece to break off.

My answer? What is a tiny plastic thing doing as part of a metal door!!!! Apparently Ford felt the same because they recalled the vans and gave me a new one without a tiny, plastic piece!!

So, don't let them intimidate you. Jo is right---if your doc felt that your weight was a factor, he should have installed a different hip. The real reason is that the hip is defective. I sat in the that mechnic's office and just kept repeating the door is defective---what are you going to do for ME?

I think the company owes you at least a big box of Godiva chocolates and maybe a nice trip to Spain or southern France. Don't let them get away with this----if your consultant talks about your weight fling it back. "If he does not have the skill to implant the hip in a big person, he should have refused to do it. Then you could have gotten a skilled surgeon." or, "why did you not discuss this pre-surgery? Because we both know it is not about my weight?"

It is so amazing to me that they blamed the victim for an obvious problem with manufacturer. God, I don't know how you Brits stand those wards---they look like hospitals in World War II movies. I think I would point out it was a violation of your privacy for him to discuss your medical condition in a loud voice on a ward. Ask him if he has read the Hippocratic Oath recently. (That always gets them going!!)

Seriously though, what a terrible experience and I cannot believe that your doctor wants to blame YOU!!
 
Cheers ski girl at the time when I was lying in pain full of morphine [ by the way kept calling it methadone got a few funny looks I can tell you ] the surgeon could have called me what he liked as long as he done the operation. Will get a better idea when I attend the appointment with the orthapedic arthroplasty practitioner on the 7th April. I have already decided not to take any **** and will fight my corner when I attend this appointment. I am sure they will have all their excuses ready for the big day.

ps my second rthr was carried out by an austrailian a Mr Manzik and at the time I couldn't get any info on him at the Royal Infirmary Site in Edinburgh that didn't make me feel at ease in the first place.

Billy
 
I don't know how you Brits stand those wards---they look like hospitals in World War II movies.
Now Kelly, what on earth can you mean? Our wards are very nice now - usually no more than four beds to a ward and several single rooms. Are you thinking of the Nightingale wards with 12 beds down each side of the ward? We haven't had those in years!

[Bonesmart.org] Och a wee set back
 
Sad but I remember they wards Jo quite strict back then and you got glared at if you made any kind of noise If I remember correctly.
 
@Josephine, you haven't been to Wrightington Hospital then. 24 bed male and female open wards still. They are in the process of building new wards now to be completed I think in 2016.
 
@Josephine, you haven't been to Wrightington Hospital then. 24 bed male and female open wards still. They are in the process of building new wards now to be completed I think in 2016.

A male and female shared ward thought they were prehistoric now to be honest, the Royal in edinburgh consists of four male and female wards and single rooms. The good thing about the ward I ended up in 220 was I got free Tv as their TV package in other wards was a con. The Trauma ward 108 was a nightmare the main phone line was outside our ward and rang all day long and through the night :hissy:
 
Perhaps I wrote it wrong. There is a 24 bed female ward and 24 bed male ward. There are 3 wall hung TVs in each ward so if they were on everybody had to put up with them. Medicine rounds were a nightmare as it took so long to get round. We were issued with NHS earplugs at night as it was so noisy. If you were in the middle of the ward it was a trek to the bathrooms.
 
Back
Top Bottom