THR NyLiz's Recovery

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you everyone for the well wishes and I'm sorry I haven't updated in a few days, it was too hard to update with the Blackberry. Instead, Christine NY has been wonderful e-mailing me directly and checking in on me and providing encouragement all along, which I am so grateful for. Now that I can sit at a computer for a short period, I wanted to update all of you about the past couple of days.

I was released on Saturday, but not before the drama of what pain meds I was going to be sent home with. When I was in the hospital, the pain was being controlled with a combo of Dilauded and Oxycodone and whenever they tried to stop one or the other, the pain became unbearable. I was very insistent that the Oxycodone alone was not going to be enough and that it wasn't just the pain from surgery, but lower back pain that was an issue as well (lower back pain was the worst trying to get to sleep at night). I explained I was on Meloxicam since last Oct, not just for the hip, but for my lower back (arthritis and 4 bulging discs), and I can't go back on that for 6 weeks. The house doctor left, came back, and said they will also give me Oxycontin to take every 12 hours, in addition to the Oxycodone (1 -2 tabs every 4 hours) and Tylenol every 6 hours. One other thing, my iron level was still low, but my surgeon made the decision not to give me blood, he feels my levels will come back up, so I'll be taking Iron and Folic Acid for a while.

Ride home in the car was not fun. Didn't realize the seat belt was hitting the incision, so I made my dad pull over so we could re-adjust the seat belt and how I was sitting. The first night was not too bad, but yesterday, while it started off ok, it went downhill in the afternoon. Pain got out of control, which I can only blame myself for since I did not stay on top of taking the pain meds. I have so many different pills to take, so I created a spreadsheet with the times I need to take each medicine, went over it with my sister and told her that during the day, I don't care if I'm napping, if I'm due for the Oxycodone or Tylenol, wake me up and make me take it. Hopefully, by staying on schedule, the pain will remain under control and there will be a lot less tears.

Home health nurse and PT are scheduled to come today, so I'll post later after their visits and let you know how that went.

Leg is starting to ache, so it's time to get off this chair, move around some and then go elevate and ice, ice, ice....

Liz

Hey Liz, glad you were able to post. I know what you mean about the pain meds and so many different ones and different times. I try to jot it down on paper but then I know at times I'm not keeping up with them like I need to.

Hope you have good luck with nurse and PT. Let us know. I have my PT evaluation at 5:00 today and nurse came Saturday and Sunday to change bandages and that's it for her as all looks good and I can change myself.

Get rest and ice and elevate. We all know the rule on that. :biggrin:

I too after surgery this time and last year, made a spreadsheet w/ space available to record when and I take and what I take - it seems to have helped...

sorry you are having such a rough time of things but it does eventually get some better...make sure you stay on top of meds...

good luck and let us know how its going

xoxo,
Linda

You've got it down Liz. Regular meds, ice and elevate! There are no other priorities for now.

I had the same issues with the back. Very important to keep your meds regular. You don't want the horror of back and hip pain! :hate-shocked:

Yea, Liz! :thumb: Sounds like you are on your way! Congrats!!

Hi Everyone,

Since it's been a couple of days since I posted, here are some highlights:

Pain control is better, but I still struggle with it late in the day. Once I'm up and moving, I'm really good until about 12:30pm and then I have to take a nap. After that, I'm good until around 5 - 6pm and from then until I go to bed it's a challenge. I changed when I started to take the Oxycodone today, so that I can take them at 2pm and 6pm, so maybe that will be better.

Started in-home PT yesterday and it went well. The PT feels I'd be able to go to a cane by next week, but I told her my surgeon said he wanted me using the walker for 2 weeks before going to a cane, so she said we'll wait until I see him next Thursday when I get the staples removed. I'm getting around fine with the walker and with the 'hip' aids. I love the dressing stick, it is so nice to be able to put on your own bottoms of clothing. I told the PT that the one challenge is getting into bed at night. My bed is high and I'm so exhausted and hurting by then, I just can't get my leg up, even with the leg lifter. I'm just very thankful for my sister being here and lifting my leg up onto the bed, otherwise I'd be spending the nights on the couch or recliner. But of course, when the PT was here yesterday morning (best time of day for me) I was able to do it on my own with the leg lifter.

Swelling - it has now moved from my knee to the ankle and foot (stops right at the edge of my slip-on Easy Spirit shoes). It was really bad late yesterday and elevating and icing did not bring the swelling down at all, and once I took my slip-on's off, the rest of my foot swelled up. The swelling was down when I got up today, but it has now returned (afraid to take the slip-on's off for fear of not getting it back on and I have a difficult time walking barefooted). Besides elevating and ice, any other recommendations for swelling?

I was able to go outside and sit on my patio for a 1/2 hour this morning and it was wonderful:flowerysmile: I have lots of flower beds in my yard and with the rain we got this past week, everything is in full bloom. It was well worth the pain I had planting everything 2 months ago to be able to enjoy the results now. I just have to tell myself, don't even think of trying to pick the weeds I see (I absolutely love gardening and that includes picking weeds).

Ok, sat long enough in one spot, time to move around again and then take a nap.

Liz

I too after surgery this time and last year, made a spreadsheet w/ space available to record when and I take and what I take - it seems to have helped...

sorry you are having such a rough time of things but it does eventually get some better...make sure you stay on top of meds...

good luck and let us know how its going

xoxo,
Linda

Linda - spreadhseet is working very well to track when I need to take my meds. I'd be lost without it.

It's amazing how many people have undiagnosed dysplasic hips. Good your getting going. Don't forget to rest lots!

Josephine, when the surgeon told me, I was shocked. When left undiagnosed, is it usually when a person is in their 40's that it ends up causing an issue? I took ballet from the time I was 5 until I was18, was extremely flexible and never had any issues.

Liz

I too was active and flexible all my life. My dysplasia was not diagnosed until I was 59!

Great glad to hear that the spreadsheet is working!!! :thumb: also good update!

Its weird how different surgeon's can be from each other - my current surgeon doesn't want me to do any PT until I hit 6 weeks post-op - but he's approved as much walking as I can do and driving also - very odd - I haven't driven yet and don't plan to until sometime in the next couple of weeks....but sorry to derail your thread - I guess keep up the PT work as your Dr. requests...

I think you are doing great and your latest post sounded so much better - remember its one day at a time (I'll remind myself of then too) :snork:

xoxoxo,
Linda

Hey Liz, sounds like things are going pretty good for the most. Like you, PT started at home with me too. Linda - its so true how different these docs are with PT and with meds.

I haven't had the swelling go to the foot or ankle yet like you have. Mine is still in thigh and around knee.

Stomach still unsettled but I finally got meds switched and am just going to take new ones right now and like you, it's nap time. Got some Dilaudid and Phenergan for Nausea.

Just keep looking at those weeds and know that soon you'll be able to get out there to pick them, but just not know. I know you know you don't want to risk that.

Take Care !! :sleepz:

Hi Liz, glad you have been out and enjoyed nature and sunshine. Don't know about the swelling, except to ice and elevate, but it should subside soon. I bet it was rewarding looking at your flowers and enjoying it.:thumb:

I too find it interesting the different approaches surgeons have as far as restrictions and pain meds. My OS said if it weren't for him having to use a smaller ball for the prosthesis, I wouldn't have had the 90 degree restrictions placed on me. He said the best PT is WALKING and he could not stress that enough. He also said that once I'm off the narcotic pain killers, I can drive, but like Linda, I don't plan on driving for a few weeks yet.

I took a picture of my incision and will attempt to post it on the Hippies scar thread.

Liz

Hi Liz, sorry to hear youre still swollen. I was very swollen in hospital (still swollen around the thigh) but like you I had swollen thigh, knees calfs ankles and foot, it was horrible all flobbily.

In hospital, when I had a nap in the afternoon I used the hospital bed to raise my legs as high as they could go. I really think that helped.

so I guess what I am saying is the usual, rest, ice and elevate, but get that leg up fairly high.

Its very early days for you, and reading your posts again makes me see how far I have come Liz and you will soon, time flies

love Tan x

Progress made today. I got out of bed all by myself:yes 4:

Until now, I just could not move my leg over enough to get it off the bed. You should have seen the look on my sister's face when she came downstairs and saw me standing up with the walker in the hallway - I don't know who was more excited, her or me.

Today, my dad is coming over and taking me to a local farm stand to get some fresh veggies and fruit. This is my first outing since coming home, and I cannot wait! I know I'll need a nice long nap afterwards, but it'll be so worth it to get out again.

Liz

Yea for you Liz !!! Yes you will need a nice snooze after. I haven't had my first venture out yet so please enjoy it for me to, ok? :dancy:

I bet that was an awesome surprise to your sister and yourself :yay: congrats!

Enjoy your outing but don't push too hard :thumb:

xoxo,
Linda

When dysplasic hips show themselves very much depends on how bad they were to begin with and how they progress thereafter. Some are treated in their teens and others, like Jaycey, much later!

Liz, do make that visit short and sweet. You are only one week out and it is really much to soon to be doing such trips as yet. You may find yourself in pain before you get home. But I hope not. Just take your time, okay?

Hi Liz, welcome to the other side. I also had swelling from the thigh to the ankles. It lasted with various degrees for four and half weeks. My doc attributed this to over doing it. I had a tendency to push the pt. The more I did the more I thought I could do. Rest, ice and elevation finally did the trick, so please be a patient patient. Don't forget to take you meds and stay ahead of the pain.

Liz, if you're still experiencing that swelling, I suggest you start icing your leg when along with the elevation. Be sure and put a kitchen towel in between the ice packs and your skin, but you can apply the ice anywhere you have swellling.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011
  • Roy Gardiner
    Staff member since February, 23, 2013

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties