THR NyLiz's Recovery

Status
Not open for further replies.
:thumb: Excellent report!
 
Liz, sorry about the pain with your staples. Guess they left them in too long! All done now - freedom!
 
So last night was the first night without the Oxycontin. Since I was so off on pain med timing yesterday, between PT and going to the OS, I took 2 Oxycodone at 7pm and then 2 extra strength Tylenol at 9:30pm and fell asleep. Woke up at 1:30 am with restless legs (which I haven't had happen in years), got up walked around a bit, try to lay down again, still no good, finally took 1 Oxycodone at 2am and fell back to sleep around 2:30am. I think I can handle pain a lot better than having restless legs - if the Oxy hadn't helped, there is no way I would have fallen back to sleep.

Feeling really tired today, so I am going to take it easy and just read a book and take some naps. The weather here is beautiful, so maybe I'll sit in the shade and take a nap outside.

Christina - so looking forward to that drink and hopefully some shopping too! Just need to build up a little more energy yet.

Liz
 
The last several days have been rough. I'm still not sleeping at night, between the lower back pain forcing me to sleep practically sitting up and then the restless legs, which only seems to stop if I take an Oxycodone, sleeping more than 2 - 3 hours straight is a lot. This all starting when I stopped the Oxycontin and even during the day the lower back pain makes it hard to sit more than 30 minutes and taking a nap is difficult. When I'm up walking around and standing, I feel fine, the hip feels good, just some muscle soreness when I push the walking too much, but that I can handle.

The in-home PT came today and I was in tears as soon as she walked in the door. I explained what was happening and she said to call the surgeon and see if I can go back on the Oxycontin at night. The lack of sleep, the tiredness brought on by the low blood count in addition to the back pain is really starting to get me down. My PT also recommended trying heat on my back, which I'm doing now as I sit at the computer.

I called the OS office and they will get in touch with him about the Oxycontin, but I did speak with his assistant and she asked why I wasn't taking the Meloxicam I was on prior to surgery, and told her the OS said I can't for 6 weeks (which means for another 3 weeks yet). I'll just have to wait and see what he says when they call me back later.

Liz
 
Don't you love it when someone from the same office asks why you aren't taking a certain med when the Doc said no???? You want to scream and say "haven't you read my chart"?

Sure hope you get this ironed all out and things start to improve. I get that RLS in my toes sometimes and it's awful and I can't settle down to try to sleep. I just hope to relax enough for it to go away.

Wouldn't it be nice for us to have just a normal sleep on day? You will conqure this all. :sleepz:
 
Sent you an email Liz. It came back with an auto thing :rolleyespink:

I believe oxycotin is a tough drug to come off of. I had a hell of a time coming off the dialuaded. Took over 2 weeks. My stomach is ALMOST back to normal and my sleep is getting better. I lost a bunch of weight. I am able to take 1 tylenol pm at night and it does the job. I dunno if I even need that 1 anymore. I should try but I am scared of not sleeping again :sigh: Just takes time. If you are off it now IMO you should try to stay off it so you dont have to go through the withdrawal again. My elbows for some reason had the restless leg syndrome. it would drive me insane!
 
Liz, Sorry to hear you are having such a rough time. I am also having some back issues because of weak muscles. I use alot of heat and ice. I even bought a soft ice pack I could strap on my back while walking around at Target it really helps. I take meloxicam as I have had 2 shoulder surgeries and I am having touble with my iliotibial band. Meloxican is an antiinflammatory and healing from surgery is an inflammation process so many Doctors will not let you take it for 6 - 12 weeks after surgery. I have taken tylenol pm in the past and it helped. Sending some :sleep::sleep::sleep: your way, take care.

RT THR 4/19/11
 
Thanks Christina and PhillyGirl for the advice. Never heard back from the Doctor, so I tried 2 Tylenol PM. I took them at 10pm, fell asleep sometime after 10:30 but was awake at 12:30am :eek: Got up and walked around, tried to go back to sleep, but between the lower back pain and the RLS I finally ended up taking 1 Oxycodone around 2:30am, then slept on and off until 6:30am. I even tried sleeping on the non-operative side and it caused pain in the side of my hip (even tried using pillows), so that didn't work either. At least during the day I can get up and walk around which relieves the back pain.

Well if I don't hear back from the Doctor soon, I'll call his office again.

Liz
 
Finally - relief! My Doctor called about 7pm last night, told him what was going on with lower back pain and not sleeping. He prescribed Ambien and said to go back to taking 2 Oxycodone 5mg every 4 - 6 hours and that should ease the back pain and reiterated that I cannot take any anti-inflammatory yet. He did ask how the hip was and I told him great and that I'd be wonderful if it weren't for the lack of sleep and back pain.

So my awesome Dad went to the pharmacy last night and picked up the Ambien and brought it over to my house so I could take it before bedtime. I took only one 5mg tablet (allowed to take 2 if needed) and slept soundly for 3 hours, woke up and took one Oxycodone and fell back to sleep for 3 1/2 hours. Even though I didn't sleep straight through, I feel so much more rested today. Took 2 Oxycodone this morning and I can sit with only a little back pain, so I'm off to a good start.

Thanks to all of you for just letting me ramble on the past few days about my lack of sleep and back pain.

Got to go, my PT will be here any minute to put me through my paces.

Liz
 
Here's a big BoneSmart ((((((((hug)))))))) for your Dad. What a sweetheart!

So glad you are seeing improvement Liz. Getting caught up on the sleep can make all the difference in the world!

Ramble on any time - that's what we are here for!
 
Glad to hear the news Liz, this not enough sleep gets old doesn't it? I'm the same way as you. I sleep 1-2 hours and I wake. Not because I'm in pain or anything, stiff maybe, just can't sleep.

Do you at think at all it's from meds and changes in meds? I stopped the Dilaudid and anti-naseau meds and now I don't sleep as well, but need to stop them at some time.

Ambien and you still didn't sleep the night --- I've been given almost every known sleep aid in my life and they don't work either. Be careful on the Ambien though.

Glad to hear things are finally going a little bit better for you and hope the PT today goes well and helps you feel like you are finally making progress.
 
PT went well and she was thrilled I can lift my leg 90 degrees when standing and said I'm definitely ready for out patient and using some weights. I still need the cane since my muscle strength has to build up more. My goal is to go back to work after labor day without the cane, but if I still need the cane at that time, I'll use it.

Julie - I think it's a combo of coming off the pain meds - sleeping issues started after I stopped the Oxycontin at night - and the problems with my back. When I spoke to my doctor last night I told him I was trying to reduce the Oxycodone since I have very little hip related pain and the Tylenol was all I needed for it. He then pointed out that for now I'll just need to take it for the back pain until I'm past the 6 week mark and can go back on the Meloxicam. As for the Ambien, I was on it for a month about 9 years ago after I had hand surgery and could not sleep and had no issues when stopping it, but I believe I was taking 10mg and not 5 back then. I'm going to try 10mg tonight and see if I sleep through the night, if not, I'll stick to just the 5mg since with it, when I slept, even for a few hours, I really 'slept' soundly if you know what I mean.

Jaycey - yes, my Dad is a real sweetheart and has been great through all of this. I don't know what I would have done without him and my sister. Everytime I thank them, they just tell me it's what family is for and that considering all I did for them in the past, especially when my mom was battling cancer, it's my turn now to be 'taken care of' by them. I am very blessed to have such a wonderful family!

Liz
 
Oh Liz, that's so wonderful having a family like that. You're so blessed. Glad the meds helped a little. I took my percocet for lower back pain until 6 weeks. It sure helps. Hope it'll get better soon:thumb:
 
I hit the 5 week mark today and am happy to report I really feel I have turned a corner in recovery. I started out patient PT last week and they have been working on my lower back in addition to my hip and it has helped a lot. I'm no longer using the cane in my house, but still use it when going out. I have also been driving short distances for a week now.

As for pain control, I'm down to taking two extra strength Tylenol 3 times a day, one Oxycodone in the evening and one Ambien when I go to bed. Last night I slept 7 1/2 hrs straight:yes 4:. The lower back pain is manageable during the day with the Tylenol, but in the evening when I'm sitting or if I lie in bed, it starts really hurting and the one Oxycodone takes care of the pain. Hopefully once the doctor ok's taking an anti-inflammatory again, I'll do away with the Oxycodone.

I'm returning to work next week and look forward to it. I actually stopped by the office today and it was so good to see everyone. They were all amazed at how well I was doing, especially since I was in so much pain and limping around when I left for surgery. It felt so good to say that the 'before' pain is now gone and soon enough I'll be ditching the cane :)

I'll update again next week on how returning to work went and the outcome of my 6 week check up!

Liz
 
You go Liz !!! Great report. I love the 7 1/2 hours sleep, I'm SOOO jealous. We are both pretty much doing the same it seems. I too now can almost ditch the cane all together, but by end of day the pain starts up. No pain meds during day.

Isn't funny, people look at you afterwards in just awe. They can't believe you are the same person who was limping around in pain and now walk "almost" normal.

Best of luck next week at work. I go back to full duty on the 12th, but have been working from home almost full time anyways. Have a great 6 week check up and enjoy that new hip of yours.

:friends:
 
Thanks Julie! Actually, when I woke up this morning and there was light coming through the window I felt disoriented since it has been so long since I woke up and it was daylight!

Liz
 
Congratulations Liz. You are on your way. And isn't uninterrupted sleep great? Your doing great with a cane and driving. Good luck with your 6 week check up. You are on your way.
 
Today I hit the infamous 6 week mark :biggrin: I started back to work yesterday and did ok, even with going to PT afterwards. I was tired, but I expected that, and everyone was great about making sure I wasn't over doing it. I'm still using a cane outside of the house, but this weekend, if it ever stops raining here in NY, I'm going to take walks in the neighborhood carrying my cane and see how far I can go without needing to use it.

Today I had my followup with my OS and I finally got to see an x-ray of my new hip, which was really cool. He said that the bone has grown well around the prosthesis and that it looks good - so restrictions are now lifted! Since my lower back is still causing a lot of pain, he took a look at x-rays my Orthopedist had taken of my spine several months ago and said you have Isthmic Spondylolisthesis and the fracture of the pars interarticularis is probably congenital (just like the hip dysplasia). Good news is he feels PT and going back on the Meloxicam will help. This was like a deja vu moment for me, since a couple of weeks before my hip went bone on bone, my Orthopedist was discussing treatment options for my back (PT and/or Injection) and I was undecided since PT aggravated my hip and I wasn't too keen on getting an injection in my back. By the time of my next appointment, my hip was in such excruciating pain that my 'hip' became the focus and any treatment of my back went out the window. So now I'll be picking up where I left off in early April with my back and hopefully it is all straightened out before I end up needing my right hip replaced.

In Summary at the 6 week mark - here is where I'm at:

  • Walking with a cane outside of home
  • Back to work full time
  • Pain meds - Tylenol (add Meloxicam - aka Mobic - as of today)
  • Restrictions lifted
  • Driving for past 2 weeks
  • PT 3x a week
  • Plan in place to address lower back issue (finally)
I also want to thank everyone for their support and advice from pre-surgery until now - it made going through all of this a lot easier!

Liz
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom