TKR Now two years post op and still recovering from nerve damage

Status
Not open for further replies.
Margaret which phone app are you using for your flexion? I bought the GETmyROM one but it didn't give the degrees. It gave the difference gained. I need to play with it more.
 
Thanks for the update. When you have the MRI, it depends how the scans are ordered. They may order a hip and a knee, which would be two seperate scans. If they order a femur than it can be done as one. Either way doesn't matter as long as they image the correct areas.

Good luck.

Orthodoc
 
Margaret which phone app are you using for your flexion? I bought the GETmyROM one but it didn't give the degrees. It gave the difference gained. I need to play with it more.
broken link removed: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=ROM.goniometry&feature=search_result#?t=W251bGwsMSwxLDEsIlJPTS5nb25pb21ldHJ5Il0.

I use this one above. For android phones. You have to sit on the floor or bed and pull heel towards backside and measure in that position. Otherwise it doesn't work as I think it assumes measuring other parts of the body. Physio cross checked its accuracy and its really close to her manual goniometer measurement.
 
[Bonesmart.org] Now two years post op and still recovering from nerve damage

Yep, my knee is one year old today. Like snoopy and friends above I can walk again.... YIPPEE.

My recovery as some of you know has been a slow one, and I am still improving and still have some issues. Mainly quad lag, nope not gone away. I also still have "start up" pain, but only for one or two steps. I've found that if I stand up, fully straighten my leg and take my weight through the straight leg then it hurts much less. My flex is generally just below 110 without exercises first and then 118 after, measured by myself with my phone app.

I've had a phone conversation with my surgeon a month or so ago and we made the decision to delay my one year review until the new year. So I'm going early March, principally because flights are a quarter of the price then. I live 1600 km away from him. I'm staying a week so that if the quad lag hasn't resolved by them I can have MRI, nerve conduction tests and or EMG to determine what's causing it.

Am I happy? Yes and No? Yes - without a doubt I needed this surgery and I can do most things again that I used to do. And no, I am disappointed that I have lingering unresolved issues. But the Yes outweighs the No.

If the quad lag never resolves, then its unlikely I'll ever ski again. But I'll just accept that, change focus and do more singing. In fact, I've registered for a 6 week jazz singing workshop in the new year. Never sung jazz before so should be interesting - a choral singer trying jazz!!!!
 
[Bonesmart.org] Now two years post op and still recovering from nerve damage
What a great birthday update and such a positive attitude about your recovery. I love that you are accepting of the possibility that you will have to give up skiing, but that you have already found another outlet for your energy and talent. YOU GO. GIRL!!!!!
[Bonesmart.org] Now two years post op and still recovering from nerve damage
 
Hi Margaret, I hope in march u hear news u want to hear, you have good attitude, if no skiing, than more singing, just have to be open minded to new and other things, I am pleased to hear, the good out weighs the bad, and that u are still able to do more then before surgery, so not a total loss, but still not where u would like to be to be at this point, maybe the nerve conduction tests and MRI will shed some light and may be something he can do?? You never know? Will just have to see how it goes. All my wishes for the best with you, you have had a long and patient recovery, and have kept your head straight minded though it, that's good for others like me who have a while to wait for our tkr's, we need to see all sorts of recoveries and outcomes, and be prepared for different scenarios too. Thanks for updating us, please update in march as to results of MRI and conduction tests, very curious to see what they say. If nerves, neurotin works very well in that dept, I am fixing to go on that my self next month after seeing Pain Dr. Jan 17th, and trying to get in sooner, in so much pain. My new gyno who feels i have no female problems after all his tests, all severe pain is coming from spinal sacral area prob not helping my bladder prob which i have known since i was 11. but has gotten worse over the years, spinal sacral pain has even superseded the pain of my knees( since i have lost 50 pounds, i fit again in my braces, so maybe they will stabilize good bit. Will have to buy me a few more in about 25 lbs more weight loss so they will fit right. plus a lot more weight loss( although at 120 lb in 2004 soaking wet, back and knees still killed me why i gained 100 pounds, Bextra helped, only nsaid i could safely take, off the market now, no others work, and make me feel bad), which will just have to wait 6-10 years it looks like for my bi-lats, I can only so much at one time, and so many surgeries at one time. I need bi-lats, too afraid to go thru twice. waiting for the kids to move out, make for easier more relaxing recovery, and i will be older, 50-55.
I think by that point and not too young, I know all that now, but that's my decision for now, unless God intervenes like he does and says no, you do it now. i have met my deductible thru DEC of 2013, so may have 2-3 more surgeries next year if i have the bio-lats too. first is an interstim to help pain in spine(will not have nerve surgery to many horror stories, do not want fusion either, bad stories there too, i know they are stories but hub agrees with me, as he has severe pinched nerve in his neck, and refused surgery, Dr said 65% success rate and possibility of paralysis, i don want to face that either, thru some PT,but mainly his own PT he had full use of his arm again, where he could not use it before at all about 3 years go, but now getting all tingly again and hurts him to play his guitar ( he is a musician, and a mechanic), so wants to got back for another series of shots, helped the last time), which i have in bladder to reduce voids per day, i have went from 75-+100 x a day to 15- 30, which is still a bit much for a regular person but a god send for me w/ my replaced bladder interstim Like a pace maker for your bladder, and i do not wake up once during the night to go, better not,on enough meds to choke a horse, so i better sleep. I pain stimulater don't work, which they will do trial first, than we will have to go to pain pump, so i don't have to pop pills all day long, i feel like a pharmacy. I need to go update my thread,will copy and paste and put there to update everyone, been so busy, and in pain, haven't had time t keep up with daily post, i just able to answer the ones sent to my email. SORRY so long, glad you are hanging in there Margaret,keep up the good were, well wishes, and keep your sanity,it will all work out for the best,it already has, your are better off than before. i wish for better, take care my friend... Sheryl:flwrysmile: and Have a wonderful Christmas Holiday season, keeping me real busy, sure keeping u busy too,takes our minds off things anyway:xmaskitty:
 
Congrats Margaret! I know this hasn't been the easiest journey but you have kept on working through it all with a great attitude. I hope the next year brings you closer to the place you want to be! Keep the faith!

Be well,

Dawn
 
Happy Anniversary!
 
Happy Birthday, I'm so glad that you have found something else that might be lots of fun. I love your attitude. Keep it up. Tashia :gbhse: :bells:
 
Happy Birthday!!! Congrats Margaret! I like the idea that you have found something else to try out. I hope that you enjoy singing jazz.
 
Margaret, I am so happy to hear of your improvement---it has been a long road for you. Speaking of road--the mobility scooter was funny===especially since he was driving on the wrong side of the road!!!

I was in England for a month or so and driving was always a scary experience for me. I even felt uncomfortable riding busses since they were on the wrong side of the road and it gave me heart failure sometimes. A left turn was worth your life!! Kelly
 
All through my recovery I've had pain on and off in the area around the top of the fibula but these past week its been getting worse and more often, particularly towards the end of the day. During my walk last night I found it quite hard to weight bear with pain specifically around the top of the fibula. I've also remembered that I'd had these pains on and off before the surgery. Once I got home I elevated my leg and it ached down the front of my shin, across and towards my ankle on the inner side of the front of my leg - felt like shin splints. I also put heat on it which seemed to help.

Not sure what's going on. Seeing physio this afternoon. Can't get in touch with surgeon until 14 January as he's away.

Any ideas anybody?
Josephine;
 
Can't help with that one, I'm afraid. Better go see your GP and get it xrayed in case it's a stress fracture or something.......
 
Back from physio. She said I don't have full extension yet, so when I walk I'm stressing the little joint at the top of the fibula. The muscle running down from there is also very tight and sore. So big massage and mobilisation of the little joint. She said they don't see this condition very often, but when they do it reacts to treatment quickly. So fingers crossed she's right. I have more physio next Monday.
 
Best wishes on you anniversary, Margaret. I hope that the fibula problem soon clears up.
 
Oh Margaret ---such a long hard journey for you. :rolleyes: Sending good thoughts for speedy over this latest hump -and an oh so much better year to come. :friends:
 
Hi Margaret,

Happy Anniversary! I had mine on Dec. 21st but was jetlagged in NY so didn't post. Hope this latest issue of yours will turn out to be nothing and that things will go well with the jazz singing! Happy New Year! :)

bassplayer
 
It's still going up.......Using the app on my phone - here's the image today. So still going up at 13 months. Hang in there all of you struggling with gaining ROM. It is in there, just takes time to get it out for some of us..........

[Bonesmart.org] Now two years post op and still recovering from nerve damage
 
That's great, Margaret! :dancy:

Don't you go to see your OS in Auckland soon?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom