Guest viewing is limited

TKR Now two years post op and still recovering from nerve damage

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow Margaret, it's so impressive to me that you can walk for two hours! I can only manage about 15 minutes or so, then get too tired or out of breath. At least my knees are ok though!

Hope you will feel in a better mood soon! It's hard to keep that ROM number from getting one down, but really it's only a number and you are able to do so much! :friends:
 
Margaret, I love the list of things you can do. Life has its ups and downs and so does recover. I just finished a vacation, the first one in two years and wow it was great. Did lots of walking and stairs, stairs, and stairs. My knee is a little swollen. But we will surive and make it. Take care and be careful. :puppysmooze: Tashia :bicycle1:
 
Hey December pal...this is a long and curvy road you and I are travelling and this is just one more bump along the way...that magic one year mark is indeed approaching but like all the other stuff we've heard on here, each of us will get to our peak at our own pace, when it's meant to be. Just keep on trekking and moving forward. The best is yet to come.
 
Margaret - It's been a while - how are you doing ?
 
Hi Randi, No change here. Still quad lag, still just under 110 ROM passively, still stiff for first few steps. My new GP advice is to wait till I see OS at 1 year but she did say 110 isn't good at this stage and she spotted me limping for first few steps. My GP personally knows my OS as she trained under him at the major ortho hospital in New Zealand and thinks he's one of the top OS's in NZ. I'm riding my exercycle 5 mornings a week and walking for at least an hour most days (only thing that stops me is if its pouring with rain).
 
Hi Margaret,
One-year check-up isn't far away for us!
Let's hope your Auckland OS can suggest something to improve your quad lag and ROM. Meanwhile, 110 is OK for most everyday needs - I know you'd like more (want to ski next winter?) and I'm sure you'll get it eventually.

The friend I posted about in my new thread has managed with 70 degrees for about 5 years and that has been a real pain for him. It made it so hard to get into and out of cars, as well as the straight leg constantly got in the way (he's well over 6 ft tall, so his legs are long!

Have a good weekend!
Celle
 
Margaret, if I recall, your doc did not want to do a MUA, correct? I guess you should level with him at the one year appt---you are not happy and wonder what else he has in his bag of tricks.l Would a MUA help? Or arthroscopic release? I think you have been patient long enough and now is the time for some action to help you get those 20 degrees that are keeping you from living your life. I have 145 and don't feel like I have enough rom at that. I constantly have to adjust when doing stuff. I used to pull my foot up to my butt!! Kelly
 
Thanks ladies. MUA has never been discussed as I had over 90 when I left the hospital, gained to 105 by 3 weeks. Once, and only once, have I measured passively at physio at 117 so I know its in there. Although measurement doesn't seem to stay higher I know that functionally I'm doing so much more, such as getting into a car normally. At 5 month appointment OS did say to expect up to 130, which right now I'd be more than happy with. It isn't really the flexion thats bothering me, its the stiffness and aching after walking. Uphill climbs can be a struggle sometimes and I still think its weak quads. My calf is also still skinny. Physio told me that until the quad lag goes away I'll never get strength back into the quads nor the calf no matter how hard I work them as I'm unable to use them properly.
 
And what are they saying about why the quad lag is still there -or is there anything more that can be done for that ?

I do agree that you have to say you're not satisfied and have a good discussion - though it does seem you are doing a lot. I can tell you that finally I am feeling that stiffness less and less but there are still times I feel like I'm walking on a peg leg... My OS has reminded me that this is not a new knee, it is an artificial knee and it may not ever feel totally normal.:umm:
 
Thanks Randi. Femoral nerve damage from the nerve block has been thought to be problem of quad lag right from the start and that can take a year or more to come right and in most cases it does come right. I think there is some improvement, but ever so slight.

Your comment "...finally I am feeling that stiffness less and less but here are still times I feel like I'm walking on a peg leg" is exactly how I feel, so maybe I'm complaining unnecessarily. The peg leg feeling is if I walk too fast.

Today I've done nothing strenuous so far (or rather only stood to do the ironing). I'm about to go for an hours walk but only on the flat. My app on my phone measured 112 this morning, after I'd done some gentle stretches. This week I'm also going to the swimming pool to see if water walking, swimming etc will help. I'm also going to take anti-inflamatories for a week while I work it in the water. Might even go to the seniors aqua aerobics class, which is at 1pm - I refuse to go to the normal one as its at 7am in the morning!!!!
 
In my book complaining is never unnecessary -in fact if it helps to get feelings out it's very useful ! Have a good walk - it's rainy and miserable here and we're looking forward (?!) to another week of rain and wind so indoor exercise for me. I'm a great believer in the healing power of water. Hope it helps.
 
we're looking forward (?!) to another week of rain and wind . . . . . I'm a great believer in the healing power of water.

My evil twin had a little laugh when I skimmed through your message, because the above is what I read at first! LOL :)

I know you didn't mean it like that - sorry. :flwrysmile:
 
I've had a lovely day today. Went for our walk, stayed on the flat, sat down by the river half way through our walk. On the way back got a phone call from friends saying they were coming round to visit with a cake. So we invited them for dinner and said still bring the cake for dessert. So having walked an hour, I then cooked a roast chicken dinner. My knee feels good.

And just for a laugh.....yep it is a carpet being transported on a mobility scooter
 
Going to say this very quietly so I don't jinx it....... I think the quad lag is going away.......
 
.....and now I'm going to shout. I just used my phone app to measure flex 119......
That was with a push and a shove with foot against a table leg, but I got it there.
 
Hooray ! Good news at last...I'm so pleased for you.
 
I had a phone call from surgeon today to check how I was doing. He apologised for not calling me since I'd had the ultrasound for the quad lag a couple of months ago but he's been away for over a month with a family bereavement.

He's had the images reviewed by another radiologist and turns out the scan wasn't done properly. It didn't go high enough up the quads. The new radiologist is suggesting an MRI and also of the area the femoral nerve block was inserted in my groin. Not sure whether the scan goes from the knee all the way to the groin of if its two scans.

I told him my flex has improved (118 after exercise) and that I think the quad lag has slightly improved this past couple of weeks so he said to keep tramping up and down the mountains and to go up to see him in the new year. So, I'm going to see him in January or early February for one year check (a month late but flights are so expensive just before Christmas) and he asked me to plan to stay in Auckland for a few days after I see him so that if he decides I need the MRI it can be done by his preferred people while up there.

Orthodoc; I've tagged you as I thought you might like to know where I'm at now after all your great advice earlier.
 
Yeah, your flexion has improved, and your quad lag is better. Hoping that by your next OS visit you will not need an MRI. :)
 
Margaret,
That's really good news in you last couple of posts! :happydance:

I hope you continue to improve. You've been so patient!

My one-year check-up is later today (a month early!). I'll post about it in my own thread.

Best wishes,
Celle
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Back
Top Bottom