Guest viewing is limited

THR Now POST-op

Now a full 4 weeks since surgery. I’m a bit disappointed in myself as although my mobility is improving, I feel a bit sorer yesterday and today than I was In the previous few days. I’m still using the Paracetamol 4 times a day (+Gabapentin at night) and icing regularly. I don’t think I’m doing anything that should account for it: I’m pain free when I start off in the morning but by the time I have dressed including those wretched compression socks, I am sore again.
Is it common that the pain graph fluctuates at this stage?
I am supposed to go to an informal meeting with colleagues later this week and am wondering about how long I’ll be able to sit in a normal chair and whether this is too soon?
 
@cannygirl Yes it is normal for aches and pains to fluctuate at one month post hip replacement.
I found sitting on hard seat chairs very uncomfortable for quite a while after my hip replacements - if there is anyway to get a padded chair when you meet up with your colleagues that would be the best option IMO.
 
OK may take my own padding!
I wondered if if was maybe a bit soon and thought about taking a step back.
 
@cannygirl If it's an optional meeting I'm sure your colleagues would understand if you decided not to attend. And it is perfectly reasonable that you might not feel up to that activity yet.
 
It is a church team meeting - I don’t want to go but that isn’t necessarily a good reason for not going. I am long retired so no it is not compulsory.

I guess that because I am more mobile and more physically able to do things, I’m lifting, bending etc - anything I can do while juggling a stick! . Maybe I am doing a bit more than I should. The problem is that I would happily sit with my legs supported and being cared for but I know that is not good for me.

I do use 2 sticks outside
 
Sounds like you actually know all the answers @cannygirl! You don't want to go, you don't have to go so why go? FOMO? I bet one or other of the colleagues will call round and fill you in in what you've missed.
As ever, don't overdo things but your pottering about is all good exercise and should help you sleep too.
Keep on keeping on.⭐
 
Those socks are just horrible. After getting them on I needed a nap. They got so tight on my calf it left an indentation and swelling where my knee bends.........my doctor told me to keep on for one month.............I didnt leave them on a second longer!!!
 
@Spex10 - I know that I am daft but it is only when I articulate what I am doing, I understand why...understanding 'why' is important to me otherwise I tend to panic. I won't go - long-suffering husband (also on the team) will go for me! I need to potter. I am trying to use recycled dresses to make a suitable outfit for a Zoom Wedding in a couple of weeks time. I haven't seen a shop for SO long now :console2: Thank you for your patience.
 
Those socks are just horrible. After getting them on I needed a nap. They got so tight on my calf it left an indentation and swelling where my knee bends.........my doctor told me to keep on for one month.............I didnt leave them on a second longer!

Yup - you are SO right! the only saving grace of these particular ones is that they are a decent dark green instead of the usual white bandage-like hospital issue. I don't mind being seen out in them (as long as the writing is covered up.:loll:
 
@cannygirl would you think twice about doing for your husband the things he's doing for you these days? I doubt it. He's not long suffering, he's just looking after you as he signed up to 'in sickness and in health'. I'm sure you'll have your chance to repay him one day. Meanwhile relax! (Sorry- sermon over!)
 
Meanwhile I've ordered one of those hip icing devices as well as a gripper and a thing for pulling on socks. I'm preparing!
 
@Spex10 you are right for lecturing me!
I got one of the hip ice things - really good...and the sock puter-oner! Got that down to a fine art - well fine struggle! Good for you getting prepared
 
I think you may be pushing too hard @cannygirl, take another look at the activity progression for THR. You are still EARLY days in a recovery that can take 12 months. You don't want to not move at all, but pushing too hard will actually slow your recovery while causing unnecessary pain.

 
pushing too hard
I guess that I am, but it is really hard to assess. I used to have a personal trainer and hear his message in my head ‘you can do it - don’t give in!’ He turned around my fitness and all that was lost with all the deterioration in the run up to: first my LTKR and now my RTHR. I want to get fit again and am frustrated that I’m so slow!:what::whistle:
 
Ever heard of 'festina lente'? It means hasten slowly. You will get back to fitness but you'll slow recovery down by overdoing activity.
Meanwhile, is there anything else you could do eg seated yoga - look online. I'm busy losing weight just now by amending my diet? I don't know if you need to do that but I'm planning to emerge from my forthcoming hip op recovery a slimmer fitter me. (A challenge!?)
Who knows we could meet and compare notes over tea and scones one day next spring?
Onwards!
 
I hadn’t thought of seated yoga - I guess Pilates might be more my thing.
Diet! Yes, my life is one big food management. Most people look at what I eat and can’t understand. I’ve taken to cutting out a few evening meals to compensate for lack of exercise. Although I have heard that exercise is not the main impetus for weight loss - I bucked that trend and I started the life style eating pattern (previously not bed actually) alongside serious gym exercise 15 years ago and turned my appearance and fitness around. This is why I am so gutted.
All the best with your weight loss and the new you.
tea and scones Spring 2022 sounds good!
 
I want to get fit again and am frustrated that I’m so slow!:what::whistle:
You're not slow, you're just not even a full month into recovery @cannygirl. If you push too hard you'll really find out what a long recovery is. It is a long journey but if you stick with the BoneSmart approach the journey will be less painful and you will still reach the same final destination. Ultimately you get to choose the path, the tough rocky road through pushing too hard, or the BoneSmart path through the meadow with the pretty wild flowers. :flwrysmile:
 
@FCBayern Thank you for the ‘rap over my knuckles’! I should take this recovery slowly. I am not good at doing this and ...should learn from previous experience. I tried to move too fast after my TKR and that set me back quite badly. I guess the comparatively lower pain levels have made me feel I can move faster than I should. I look forward to being able to ENJOY my new hip :)
 
My equipment all arrived today. The cat was very excited about all the boxes! Of course I've still got stuff left from my TKRs. That reminded me, I have a wee pedaler device that I used before. It sat on the floor in front of my chair and I used to pedal mindlessly away. Something like that might suit you as you could watch TV while pedalling and not feel guilty?
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom