THR Now POST-op

I never knew about it until a friend suggested it as a place to meet last year when we could only meet outside.
 
:bawl::bawl:Oh dear, I am SO sore. Pain increased yesterday. I just went for a normal 20 minute walk and only 1 set of the 4 standing exercises, having had a day’s break. Last night was the most uncomfortable for a month - I got up and took Tramadol during the night...it felt like failure as I stopped Tramadol 3 weeks ago. The pain is sharp in the joint when weight bearing and then when I make almost any movement with the operated leg and some with the other leg - I think where the muscles impinge on the right leg.

My guess is that I need to rest as much as possible today - move gently, no exercise, no up/down walking in the neighbourhood. Anything else?
should I be worried?
 
It's only one day. Ca' canny hen. A rest will do you good.
 
should I be worried?

I’m saying this with love....I think the only thing you need to be worried about is your inability to take recovery from the trauma of this major surgery slow. Be kind and gentle with yourself. Don’t allow anyone else’s expectations for your recovery spur you on until you‘ve gained more strength and stability. That sharp pain is your body asking for change and that doesn’t mean more activity, it means stop / rest, you’re overdoing it.

At not even six weeks post op, your activity level should be roughly as shown below -

Weeks 6 and 7
Start taking car trips to the shops but keep them short and sweet at the start, no longer than 15-20 minutes. Take at least one 5 minute rest while you are out.

Activity: ironing, washing, meal prep but get someone else to clear up after, wash up but someone else clears the table, brings you the dirty dishes, dries and puts them away after, not you!!

Please do not allow your family’s activity level, nor pressure from them influence you. This is ALL ABOUT YOU. Give yourself the TLC and time your body needs to heal properly so you don’t end up with chronic pain issues.

That was a heaping dose of tough love and a free hug included. :console2: :wink:
I hope your pain eases soon allowing you to enjoy the weekend.
 
Back again to my friends at Bonesmart. I’ve had a lovely week away, a little walking, a bit more cycling on my battery-assist bike and a little of the exercises. I dropped my pain relief down quite a bit and felt mainly good. Coming home, I’ve picked up domestic chores and tried to increase the exercises in addition to some brisker walking with one stick. Last night was the worst for a month or so and today not good. Obviously I did too much yesterday, coupled with inadequate pain medication and I am really disappointed. I have made an appointment for physiotherapy for Friday but now I’m concerned I may be asked to do more than I can do.
I have had my surgeon follow-up: because of Covid19, this was a phone call - 4 minutes! I asked about pain on weight bearing and he said, “I ignore aches and pains at this stage..”. Although I know this is a typical medical/surgical attitude (husband is physician), I did feel put down especially as I know the difference between general aches and pains and a specific acute pain. would he have said that in person, I wonder?
i feel better having recorded where I am - thank you for listening.
 
I was just wondering how you were getting on. Sounds like you do pretty well until you overdo it then pay the price for a day or so. You don't have to do what a physio says. Be assertive! Maybe some of their suggested excercises might be worth noting and having a try at but you really don't need to do lots of stressful repetitions.
Still, you're only a month out and look how far you've come!
 
Still, you're only a month out and look how far you've come!
Unfortunately I’m now into my 8th week and think I should be further forward… yes patience isn’t my strong point. Still I am feeling better this evening and have more pain control. Tomorrow is another day :) :-) (:
 
Where does time fly?! I do know your op was in April as it was the same day as my OP appointment at the same hospital. Sorry.
Still, I could hardly believe you'd been on a bike. Well done. It's all massive progress.
 
Cycling is what I’ve been doing for years to protect my hip. i have avoided walking for years. This may be why I am finding it so difficult now!
 
Just my opinion, cannygirl, but I think you’re still pushing it somewhat and that’s why you’re hurting.

I really believe you’d stop suffering these episodes if you were willing to dial it back a bit. Since you’re as active as you seem to be, why not stop the exercises for a couple weeks and just carry on with the normal activities of daily living and some walking for now. Consider trying it and see if you’re pleased with your progress without ramping anything (exercises) up as you mentioned you’d like to do.
I have made an appointment for physiotherapy for Friday but now I’m concerned I may be asked to do more than I can do.
Just say “No, that makes me uncomfortable”, or “No that hurts”. Please remember you don’t have to do anything you’re opposed to. You’re the boss, it’s your body and you’re the one that has to deal with any painful after effects, not the Physio.

I hope with rest and ice your pain has eased enough for you to enjoy a lovely Thursday.
@cannygirl
 
I hope with rest and ice your pain has eased enough for you to enjoy a lovely Thursday.
Thank you @Layla Ill take your advice. I realise that I’ve stopped icing. I’m not resting enough to sit with a pack! I’ll start again.
This morning I’m as sore as I’ve been after a really painful night. I am really demoralised and not sure why this is happening at night.
 
I am really demoralised and not sure why this is happening at night.
Too much activity during the day. You are seeing the results of trying to push this recovery. Please slow down and give that new hip a break. You run the risk of developing chronic pain if you keep pushing.
 
risk of developing chronic pain if you keep pushing.

I really don’t want that - but I genuinely don’t know what I have overdone to that extent. Significant pain in my groin when I put weight on my operated leg even after my pain meds should have kicked in. This is new experience for me. Just now sitting with an ice back and my legs up, I am pain free but I need to be able to get back to normal activity. Is this likely to be muscular?
 
OK…just picked some weeds …now back to ice…I guess I just need to do really short spells of activity. I was fooled by the week away with main chores done by others. Being at home, I see so much that needs to be done.:what:
 
Spot on @cannygirl . The week away with others doing the chores gave you a chance to recover a bit so you now know that works. What can possibly need done more than you recovering properly so you can get back to normal activity levels?
Take it easy or it'll be one step forward two steps back for months.
 
I think at only seven weeks post op, you’re expecting too much in the form of a speedy recovery from joint replacement. I wonder if you’d view it differently if the trauma your leg sustained originated from a car crash? I thing weeding a garden at this point is probably a bit ambitious for you. All of the bending and stretching you’re doing is only inflaming all of the healing tissue. So basically, you could be re-Iinjuring yourself and stalling your recovery by trying to push it. Counterproductive.

Think on these things -

Pain Is Your Body Asking For Change.

Go Slow Now To Go Fast Later

Look upon this operation as an investment in your future.
Look after it now and it will serve you well for years to come.

Now go forth and behave, or the posse is coming for you. :wink:

That be us ->. :fasthorse::fasthorse::fasthorse::fasthorse::fasthorse: Lol.
@cannygirl
 
My knee replacement thread was called 'Festina lente'- hasten slowly! That works for hips too.
 
I think I understood from others that I’d be back to normal from 6 weeks! :loll:
 
I think I understood from others that I’d be back to normal from 6 weeks!
Afraid not! Full recovery from THR can take up to 12 months or more depending on how long you limped around pre-op. Best to stop counting the days. Just listen to that new hip and scale back on activity when it says so.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom