THR Now POST-op

I think I understood from others that I’d be back to normal from 6 weeks!

That’s a good one, count them as people whose advice you can’t rely upon.

You’ll get there, cannygirl, you only have 45 weeks to go.:heehee:

That comment above was to get a smile out of you. If you take it s-l-o-w
you’ll notice steady progress without having to suffer the time outs.

Hopefully tomorrow feels brighter. :SUNsmile:
 
depending on how long you limped around pre-op.
I limped around for more than 3 years after the LTKR (having been promised a hip replacement (R) when the knee was sufficiently healed) and before that for more than 5 years. Walking was so sore that I avoided it as much as possible - so cycling became my main mode of exercise and mobility. When I walked I was so wonky that I have been concerned I wouldn’t walk straight again. I will just have to eat my pride, forget that others expect me to be fully functioning and accept the progress that my body dictates. :shrug:
 
It's funny how you just get used to limping. My RHR op is scheduled for next month so I'm walking pretty carefully but it's to spare my other hip which is already complaining and I know will be stressed taking the brunt after the RHR. I think I'll have been limping for a decade before all my hips and knees are replaced. Maybe I'll miss it -one day!!
 
After a very ’down‘ day last Thursday, I saw the physio on Friday for the 1st time after leaving hospital. i was all set to up and go if she suggested things that cut across the wisdom of BoneSmart, but she was great. To my relief, she felt that the exercises that I had been given were not appropriate for my current need and has adjusted them to give me ones that are gentler and more gradual. Although I did target some gardening yesterday, I was able to choose to step back and rest and not overdo the exercise. Maybe by the time I need another joint replacement (oh no!) I will have learned some important lessons.
 
Great news, cannygirl! Thankfully you’re feeling better. I’m happy for you. How wonderful to find a Physio that’s taking a gentle approach. It sounds like you’re being mindful not to overdo it with activity also. Slow and easy will get you there.
I hope you have a good week!
@cannygirl
 
That sounds great @cannygirl . A sensible physio. Now will you believe us when we tell you to ca' canny?! ( Note for non Scots that means go easy).
Good luck for a better week this week.:)
 
I love that! I’ll need to quote that when I’m feeling like I’m expected to do something - or expecting myself to DO something
 
Hello - 9 weeks and counting! Yesterday was a beautiful day and I took to the hills on my bike for the 1st proper ride since my surgery. It was great…I paced myself and knew I’d be tired and a bit sore but planned to spend the rest of the day resting with ice. Then there was a delivery of plants that I had ordered a few weeks ago. Well they couldn’t be left! The combination tipped me over the edge and I have been really uncomfortable since. I am now sitting downstairs in a recliner with an ice pack after a really sore night. I hope that a rest day will set me right again. I do find it difficult to pace myself and I look as though I am back to normal- so when I say, ‘I’m overdoing it - I need to stop’…my husband takes no notice. I’m going to have to develop a better was of communicating!
 
Updating...on Saturday I did a shorter bike ride to visit a friend and RESTED afterwards. Yesterday sitting on a church pew (took a cushion) for more than an hour and half, I was really sore. I guess the very upright position is still uncomfortable Although the rest of the da brought recovery. Today I walked a bit more briskly using my stick and so I am gradually testing myself out.
 
Happy to hear you're coming right along. I know for me sitting on something really hard still tends to make me sore. If course could have to do with various other issues involved in this aging process. :heehee:
 
Thank you for your encouragement
. If course could have to do with various other issues involved in this aging process.
You are right - I don’t like sitting on hard seats and haven’t for a while but for it to be differentially more painful on the operated side, I guess it is likely to sill be the surgery. I hope it isn’t permanent - and the ageing process
:rotfl:
 
Good news! It sounds like you’re realizing what you can and can’t do and giving your body the TLC it still needs in this year long recovery. May you enjoy that new hip in good health!
@cannygirl
 
It is good news. I’ve reduced my meds to Paracetamol and will see if I can keep it there. I am a bit concerned that I am not walking properly when I don’t have my stick but hope that it will resolve itself.
 
Hi again,
We have a special promotion that is actually expiring very soon. Please check out the link below and let us know if you’d be interested in trying this to help improve your gait.
 
Hello Layla,
I applied for this as soon as I saw it but had no response! I’ve tried again. Thank you
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom