Guest viewing is limited

THR Now POST-op

This is so funny! I love your artwork, made me laugh :rotfl:
Is it difficult for you to get up from that position? Looks kind of close to the ground, but
photos can be deceiving.

I hope you have a wonderful rest of the week!
@cannygirl
 
Not close to the ground - I tried to avoid the chaos in the room - so it looks as if there are no legs. I’m no artist but gives the general impression :loll:
 
Looks comfy @cannygirl. We have Stressless recliners and sofa. I plan to buy a booster cushion as the seat heights are a bit too low I think.
After my knee ops I'd start off in bed on my back but if I woke up I'd just get up and go through to the sitting room and recline there. I'd start off reading but usually nodded off again. The poor cat was very confused!
We live in a flat now with a lift. I prefer to use the stairs but after my op I'll be back in the lift. Four flights of stairs are no fun under those circumstances. I did use the stairs as part of my exercises after the knee ops.
 
DAY 25 Today’s post: not sure if this counts as 3rd or 4th week . If 3rd, then I guess I’m doing OK but if this is 4th week - I’m not so sure. Today every step is sore: last night on my back (in bed with my legs supported on a bean bag) was OK. Yesterday the weather was foul so I didn’t get out for a walk..(I may have overdone walking the day before). Yesterday I had my first outing- i was collected by a friend for tea in her home which was lovely but I couldn’t find a comfortable sitting position. I tried not to squirm but I know that I did. Today every step is sore. OK as I write this, I am hearing in my head, “if it is sore, don’t do it” but I went out for my 25 minute walk - sun shining, fluffy clouds, lovely photo opportunities ... but every step was sore. Now I am sitting with a ice hip wrap ( Thank you @Spex10 ) and gradually feeling calmer.
 
Good Morning @cannygirl
You’re approximately three and a half weeks post op, so you’re in you’re fourth week.
You seem to be progressing nicely, but I think you overdid it. It can be a challenge in the early weeks to avoid the ODIC (Over Did It Club) because it often doesn’t hurt until we stop. Just keep in mind that “pain is your body asking for change” so if you’re feeling you may have overdone it the day before, take a day of rest with ice, rather than push yourself.
Consider skipping your walk today, tomorrow also, if you’re still sore. Then I’d shorten the walk the first day of two back and see how you feel. Let your body be your guide.
Happy Saturday! You today -> :ice: I hope. :wink:
 
"ODIC (Over Did It Club)":rotfl: Oh Yes - I'm an active member. Thank you for the advice. I just feel bad that I'm not pulling my weight at home. I'm definitely icing just now. When I think back to my LTKR, this is SO much easier pain-wise but because of that it is more likely for me to overdo the speed of getting back to normal. I love
[Bonesmart.org] Now POST-op
 
When I think back to my LTKR, this is SO much easier pain-wise but because of that it is more likely for me to overdo the speed of getting back to normal.

This makes sense. I understand, but you see where it’s getting you. I wish you could give up the guilt of not pulling your weight. You just experienced major surgery less than a month ago. Put your feet up and ask hubs to peel you a grape. :heehee:
 
ask hubs to peel you a grape
[/QUOTE]
:loll: Mmm not quite sure how he will take that. He's put the washing out, made the lunch, done the shopping, is now at an intensive conference ... that is why I feel guilty about resting. Also despite being a medic himself, he has never had any significant surgery as an adult and doesn't 'do ill' or 'rest' or 'relaxation'!!
 
Wow! He sets the bar high. I just hope you can relax a bit, guilt free. :fingersx:
 
Oh dear. Please stop feeling guilty! Just because your husband doesn't understand how it feels doesn't mean you have to force yourself on. Are any other family members available to offer a little assistance?
 
That sounds a bit creepy. Sorry. @cannygirl and I like the same hospital. I'll be going in to it in July for my THR.
 
Thank you for the advice. I just feel bad that I'm not pulling my weight at home.
He's put the washing out, made the lunch, done the shopping, is now at an intensive conference ... that is why I feel guilty about resting. Also despite being a medic himself, he has never had any significant surgery as an adult and doesn't 'do ill' or 'rest' or 'relaxation'!!
Try not to feel guilty about resting and needing help.
Your "job" right now is to rest, so you give your hip the optimum chance of a good recovery.

Try not to think of resting as "lying around, doing nothing." Instead, think of it as working hard, to give your hip the best possible chance of healing well.
In other words, when you are icing and elevating and watching TV, you are not 'lazing around' - you are "engaging in a carefully considered, proactively designed, heuristically programmed, dynamically structured recovery programme".

This is the time for your husband to step up and do for you what I'm sure you would gladly do for him, if the situation were reversed.

This article may help you to change the way you feel about resting:
Nurturing mother: how to let go and accept help

Please stop feeling guilty! Just because your husband doesn't understand how it feels doesn't mean you have to force yourself on.
Exactly!
 
Excellent. Snore away. I'm sure I've said this before but if you manage 7 hours across the 24 you'll probably feel much better - doesn't have to be at night. I used to take advantage of any snooze that overwhelmed me during the day. Of course, I don't have your problem of guilt!
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom