Guest viewing is limited

Now it's the Hip

mainegirl1,How long has it been since your surgery and how are you doing now?
I will be asking a lot of questions when I see him September 9 th. I like to know as much as possible and what to expect.
 
Hi! I had a surgeon who did both anterior and posterior approaches, and spent much too long debating the pros and cons! So I am glad you are going to see your surgeon soon, and get this question answered for your own peace of mind. I found it was awkward to try to prepare for both approaches, because the restrictions - if required by your surgeon - are essentially opposite of each other, and as mainegirl points out, the incision is in a very different place. With that said, there are so many on this board who have had successful outcomes with all the different approaches, it’s encouraging to remember that your surgeon will choose the best one for your particular circumstances and both will help you get to your goal.
 
The restrictions with the different surgery approaches, like you said, are opposite of each other, I am hoping he can do the Anterior but it's in his judgment to know what will be best. I am just more than ready to hopefully start having a better life without this pain and disability. I really do believe this pain is worse than either one of my knees felt before I had my tkr surgeries.
 
Oh my all those Staples, sounds so horrible. How are you feeling now? So far my left hip seems to be ok. I just want to get over this one and be more normal for a change.
 
It has been a bummer of a day. Painful and errands on top of that. Tomorrow is my last PT appointment, I'm glad, it's not helping. I see my OS this next Monday, can't come soon enough. Guess my rant is over, just tired of this pain and disability with this hip.
 
@MEPil ,
Welcome to Hip Pre op! Here's some pre op information for you, good luck on Monday.

If you are at the stage where you have joint pain but don't know for sure if you are ready to have surgery, these links may help:
Score Chart: How bad is my arthritic hip?
Choosing a surgeon and a prosthesis
BMI Calculator - What to do if your surgeon says you're too heavy for joint replacement surgery
Longevity of implants and revisions: How long will my new joint last?

If you are at the stage where you are planning to have surgery but are looking for information so you can be better prepared for what is to come, take a look at these links:
Recovery Aids: A comprehensive list for hospital and home
Recliner Chairs: Things you need to know if buying one for your recovery
Pre-Op Interviews: What's involved?

And if you want to picture what your life might be like with a replaced hip, take a look at the posts and threads from other BoneSmarties provided in this link:
Stories of amazing hip recoveries
 
Thank you for the information, much appreciated. I will be reading it for sure. I did have my last therapy session this morning, my therapists both say I am ready for surgery. Monday I see my OS. Hope a date is set for mid October, I'm ready to do this, getting very tired.
 
Will do, anxious to see my OS Monday, at least maybe this limbo will be over and things will move forward.
 
I certainly hope you get a date soon @MEPil :fingersx:
Hip pain makes your whole body hurt, did mine and the sleep deprivation wreaked havoc on my psyche.
Hang in there...:console2:
 
Pain is my constant companion and walking with my cane is difficult as well. I try to get some housework done and it's hard and by the time I get some things done, I crash in my chair. My husband, bless him, has been doing a lot.
 
I'm sorry:console2:
I know it's miserable. I think it gets to the point where your whole body feels inflamed...or did for me.
Good thing I got cured:chuckmarch:
 
You are so fortunate it's behind you, I hope you are doing great by now.
I'm sure it wasn't easy before or after for you for awhile.
I do believe this hip pain is worse than either one of my knee pain was. This pain is even causing pain in my right knee, it moves around. I've been told the hip replacement is easier to go through than the knee replacements, I'll let you know before long, I hope.
 
Here it is Saturday already, just two days until I see my OS. So ready.
 
Yep, I know, I am counting down myself. We all experience many of the same issues and know how it wears. Hopefully you can get in as soon as you want to. I cant remember if you had an injection-that creates a 90 day window..Will be watching for your report after the doc!
 
Yes, I did have the shot back in June in the groin. Had to go to the surgery center for my OS to do it. I then, in a short time, had to go into his office and get a shot for hip bursitis, his assistant did it in the office. The groin shot lasted about 5 weeks, the bursitis is gone. I then went to PT and it hasn't helped except maybe regain some strength. Pain and disability are my companions.
 
Pain and disability are my companions.
Temporary unwanted company.
:kickedout:
I was seriously miserable also so much sympathy here.
I lived on a heating pad that didnt do a whole lot...but was somewhat soothing...took the edge off.
Became a contortionist even with ever decreasing mobility trying to find Any Way to get comfortable enough to sleep.
I got eight hours of sleep but it took a week to do it:unsure:
Hang in there...hopefully they get this scheduled very soon.:console2:
 
@Mojo333 Yes you are spot on. As I posted in another thread a mix of OTC and Rx drugs has finally helped me though I dont know if my body is starting to just ignore the pain and sleep after many months..Love the 8 hours of sleep comment, yep... We bought a high tech radiant heating pad and I am using that a couple times a day.
@MEPil there isnt one simple answer for coping, as you can see its a combination of meds, pillows, positions you find that are comfortable, pain patches.. Most of us seem to have gone down this road, some less affected, some worse. Without this forum this last month would have been a far worse time for me, so please keep focused on the goal and hopefully tomorrow will give you a surgery date!
 

Staff online

  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom