I’ve iced my knee every night for 8 months
Are you icing ? It’s the best thing
Good luck and feel better

CricketHip

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
United States United States
I was at one year post op this June for Righty.
Ms. Righty was grumpy and bothered me on and off throughout that first year.
Somewhere along the way though, in the past two months she’s become quite pleasant to have around, now!
Believe me, I was worried.
My OS told me to wait a full year and then come in if it was still a pain, he said that only 5% of his patients still have an issue by that time frame.
Luckily for me that I waited, due to the Covid restrictions, because at 14 months out, I’m now not in that 5 % :loveshwr: :whistle:

I‘ve aggravated an old shoulder injury and was on NSAIDS for ten days, maybe that cleared up some lingering Inflammation.
So please don’t get discouraged, there is truly a light at the end of the THR tunnel.

OP
OP
B

Beckford

Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Firstly thank you for your continued encouragement. I have been absent for a few days dealing with a complete melt down! I honestly wonder if I suffer from PTSD due to the numerous traumas. To make matters worse today has been awful. I had been feeling quite a lot better but the pain today has been horrible.
I have a feeling I might have caused bruising by using too much force massaging the muscles with a tennis ball. I can’t think what else it could be.

The other news is I am having more surgery!!
This is my decision. Since my last revision I am pretty certain the longer stem lengthened my right leg. Add this to an already short left leg (2.5 cm) and you can imagine how difficult this is to cope with.
My consultant showed me on my Xray that my left socket is 2.5 cm higher up my pelvis. I obviously knew I had a significant leg length difference but I didn’t know it could be corrected. My consultant explained that he can build a new socket in the right position and lengthen the shorter side. He explained all the benefits of straightening me up and also explained the problems I would be likely to encounter if I stay so unbalanced. Any way I didn’t even need to think about it, it just all makes complete sense. My pre op is Tuesday and the surgery is October 1st. I just hope that mentally I am going to cope. It’s six more weeks on crutches with no weight bearing and then the usual weight bearing as pain allows, I have lost count of the number of operations I have had. I am really hoping I am doing the right thing.
I hope you are all continuing to improve and have enjoyed the sunny weekend.
Much love
Jane

Celle

Country
New Zealand New Zealand
Best wishes for your left hip THR revision @Beckford . It does make sense to have the LLD sorted out, since your surgeon says he can definitely do something to help reverse it.

melquist

Country
@Beckford: Oh my goodness!!! I feel your pain, frustration, worries, and yes, I do think we end up with a form of PTSD when one goes through as much as you have been through with your hip. I do believe though that this restraint liner has huge potential. A 91% success rate is mentally just the healing that we need. Our bodies catch up, but our head takes time. Is this the same surgeon that is going to do your left hip revision? We are walking every step of this with you! Let us hold you up too.

Celle

Country
New Zealand New Zealand
@Beckford - you will see that I have moved your post from melquist's's thread to your own thread.

I know you two have been supporting each other. but by putting such a detailed post about your hips in her recovery thread, you were disrupting her thread, which should focus mostly on her own recovery.
Forum etiquette: being polite when posting

It's all right to post in melquist's thread to support her, but you need to keep details about your own recovery in your own thread.

Please post any updates or questions about your recovery in your own thread. We will see them there, as someone checks all the new posts every day.
If you need an urgent response to a question, just tag a member of staff.
Tagging other members and answering tags

I have changed your thread title, but if you prefer a different thread title, just post what you want and we'll get it changed for you.

Just in case you couldn't find your thread, here are the instructions on finding your thread,
How can I find my threads and posts . Many members bookmark their thread, so they can find it when they log on. Please will you do that?

OP
OP
B

Beckford

Country
So sorry
I thought I had to post under content?
Should I be using news feed instead ?
I certainly don’t want to take over anyone else’s post, that certainly would appear rude and selfish. It was completely unintentional but it’s one of the things I have never really understood about using the site.
Please can you kindly confirm that I post under new feed , would that be correct?

OP
OP
B

Beckford

Country
I have worked out now how to post on my own thread! Thank you for your guidance.

Celle

Country
New Zealand New Zealand
So sorry
I thought I had to post under content?
Should I be using news feed instead ?
No. Each person has their own recovery thread and you each post about your recovery in your own thread. Yours is this one.

You can tell it's your thread because the background colour to your posts is a pale blue colour, while the posts other people make have a white background.
Also, if you look at your avatar (that's the purple circle with the letter B in it, you will see there is an orange band at the top left, with "OP" in white on it. OP means Original Poster - and you are the Original Poster of your own thread.

The Prefix at the start of your thread title (Revision THR for yours) is so that people can sort threads to do a search on that topic. It doesn't have anything to do with where you post your updates. You just keep posting about your hips in your own thread.

Layla

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
I certainly don’t want to take over anyone else’s post, that certainly would appear rude and selfish. It was completely unintentional but it’s one of the things I have never really understood about using the site.
Aww Beckford, please don’t feel bad. Learning how to best navigate the site can take some time. You certainly did nothing wrong. You’ve been a great addition to the forum, thanks for joining us, sharing updates and supporting others. We look forward to following your journey as you continue healing.:)

helenium

Country
So sorry to read that these past days have been so awful for you. I hadn't realised you had a significant LLD to cope with as well, I'm sure that will have contributed to your increased pain. But great to read that your surgeon is able to sort that out for you, and so soon. You've had a lot to cope with, but I hope that you'll be feeling more settled now that you've made the decision to go ahead with the next surgery. Hope that pain has eased up for you.

Mojo333

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
Hi @Beckford
I know the thought of another surgery must be daunting but I can see that the prospect of getting this hip right and helping both your hips stay on even keel is keeping you focused.
I am thinking of you and impressed with you and melquist's positive spirits through so much adversity.

Hugs and hope today is a Good Day.

CricketHip

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
I have a feeling I might have caused bruising by using too much force massaging the muscles with a tennis ball. I can’t think what else it could be.
Congratulations on getting a surgery date! Prayers that this is the last surgery needed for that hip.

You probably did massage the muscles too deeply, hopefully you will remember that lesson during your upcoming recovery. :yes: I used to use a rolling pin to address my healing thigh muscles because it was a broader area addressed and did more of a flushing of the affected muscles.
I hope you are feeling better today.

Last edited:

Layla

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
:hi: Hi and Happy Tuesday @Beckford
Four months to date since your right hip revision. I hope you’re having a good week so far.
Best wishes for a beautiful Autumn way over yonder across the pond! :SUNsmile:

OP
OP
B

Beckford

Country
Thank you all yet again. The thigh pain was almost certainly caused by overdoing the massaging with the tennis ball and that thankfully has gone. I saw my consultant on Tuesday, he seemed impressed with my progress however I do still battle daily with the weakness in the leg which is frustrating as I thought b6 four months I wouldn’t be still feeling wobbly.
My next op is 1st October. I am having two new components. One is a new socket and he mentioned another component he can add in to lengthen the leg even further. It’s around 3 cm we are aiming for . I have very mixed emotions ranging from sheer terror then I feel quite pleased I am getting this done and hopefully I will be rid of shoe lifts and built up shoes forever.
I think my main concern is still with this feeling of weakness in my right leg because it doesn’t seem to be improving much despite all my efforts. I still get sore painful points around my groin too but my consultant said that with multiple surgeries it will be scar tissue build up.
I would love to hear from others that have experienced this weakness though it’s really troubling me.

Jaycey

FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Administrator
Country
I do still battle daily with the weakness in the leg which is frustrating as I thought at four months I wouldn’t be still feeling wobbly.
My friend, with all the surgeries and problems you have had it is not at all surprising that you still feel weakness. Four months out is early days in your case.

Let's get this next surgery behind you and when you are healed, then you can focus on regaining your strength. Patience prescribed in large doses.

Layla

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
Hi @Beckford
Only two weeks until your next surgery. Hopefully it will be the last. Its understandable the weakness would cause some anxiety, but what your surgeon and, Jaycey, have both mentioned makes sense. With any luck it all changes as you begin healing after your upcoming surgery. We’re with you all the way!

melquist

Country
Hi @Beckford :wave: : Just checking in to see how you are doing. I know your surgery is coming up this week I think. Keep us posted. You are in our thoughts!

OP
OP
B

Beckford

Country
Thank You for thinking of me.
The day is coming round so quickly and I am feeling very scared to be honest.
The right hip has come along in terms of strength and good range of movement but I am now battling awful sciatica in my buttock and numbness on the side of my foot. Makes it difficult to walk!
So double worry going on , not great

Mojo333

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
:console2:I'm sorry you are anxious...I am sure I would be too. If you are working on that righty and you know that things are off balance with lefty...I would think that some sciatica and other aches could pop up.
I hope this revision brings some balance to you in all ways as I know you want desperately to be done with pain.
You will be back on the Patient Mode, (both meanings intended) which is also stressful, but your pals here are behind you and :fingersx: this gets all going in an upward trajectory.

Last edited:

New

Active Antibacterial

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
10asen
Recent bookmarks

Top Bottom