TKR No Kneecap and a TKR Experience

I remember with my ankle surgery that I used to do the alphabet, pointing the toes to print them out. I still do that to loosen up the ankles. :)
 
Thank you, Peg I will try that when I get out of the boot!
 
@Josephine, my ankle was doing great, with no pain. Yesterday afternoon I started having pains in the broken area, so I loosened up the boot strap some. That helped. This morning it's very tender to the touch and is throbbing slightly, but not swelling. Could this be a tendon that's starting to hurt? I pray the bone hasn't opened back up. I've been good had my boot on 100% of the while walking, as instructed. The area that is hurting is E4. I tried to upload an xray, but it has the wrong extension.
 
This is a bit late but for some reason, I missed your @ on my name.... You asked about my foot bones (they were 2 bones in the top of the foot, fairly close to my toes) I didn't want to say it in my post, but the treatment was 8 weeks of no weight bearing (no weight did solve the plantar fascia I was having in the foot at the time!). That is why the knee scooter was so wonderful. I would use crutches in my car to get to the back, get the scooter out and move all around at work, then do the opposite to get back in the drivers seat and come home... We moved during this time - my measly job was to wrap things and put them in the box - while sitting in my wheelchair. :) Anyway, with the swelling of the foot going down, it's probably all related to your activity and the boot/break/healing of the ankle.

So, when is your next visit to the dr.? When you do get out of the boot, you will need to be careful coming back to normal use - your ankle has been immobile for a long time. Since I know you don't particularly like/use PT, you might ask the doctor for the exercises he would recommend for getting it moving again.
 
Thank you for the information @Jashembra. My two bones are close to the ankle. They didn't break all the way through and neither did my ankle. I was non weight-baring for only 4 1/2 weeks, then this walking boot and full weight-baring. I wasn't full for a week or so because of the pain. I can sleep without it, and shower with it off, too. I did sleep in it last night because of the reappearance of my ankle pain. Did yours leave and then come back after a few weeks? I pray I haven't reopened my split. I hate being back on Tramadol.

My next appointment is next Wednesday. I was hoping to get out of the boot. It's hot, not to mention bothering my new knee. Though, praise God, that's better today!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I can just imagine how hot that boot must feel; ugh! It sounds like your ankle/foot is telling you "Don't move me from side-to-side." Easier said than done without the boot, but I know you'll do your best. Perhaps a nice drive would take your mind off it today? Think of it as *therapy*, lol.
 
I can't drive with the boot on, and I'm keeping it on almost all the time. Besides that, I'm in a bad brain fog from lack of sleep last night and it wouldn't be safe for anybody if I attempted to get out there behind the wheel. It's almost snooze time, I hope.

This heat is awful. What is it up there? It's already 92, with the dew point so high, it feels like 111. Too hot for anything out there, but maybe the devil!
 
It's been hot and humid but, not as hot as you. Mostly 80's with 65% humidity. We had big T-storms last night and today is soggy, foggy and cool, about 69 degrees. I'll take it, though I would definitely prefer less humidity. It's been a strange summer here.
 
Sending you some "Pixie Pug Dust" for a good nap! Nemo is a champion sleeper and I swear it rubs off on all of us!
 
I hope you get the boot off soon! We've had high temps and humidity here too. We're supposed to get some cooler weather, which will be great. I don't do well in either heat or humidity. Earlier this week, heat indexes were over 100.


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
@Pheebs52 I'll gladly take that Pug Pixie Dust! I sure need a nap, but it's not coming yet.

One of the reasons my ankle is worse, I have caught myself many times today, when I stand still, I put most of my weight on my right foot, which is the broken one, to give my left knee a break. I didn't realize I was doing it and have no idea now long I've been doing it. I will have to be very aware of what I'm doing. Lefty will get a new knee, but she has to make it long enough for this injury to heal.

I feel some better emotionally since I have a reason now for the returned pain. All the 'what ifs' had me really down! Patience needed, again!
 
I'm glad you've found a reason for the pain, Paula. I wonder if a day of complete rest would help, too?
 
I hope your foot feels better after some rest tonight. I found I was putting most of my weight on my new knee when standing still too. It's old habits that are hard to break.
 
I have walked only 1372 steps today and took an almost a 2 hour nap. So, it has been a day of rest. I haven't had a Tramadol since 7:30 this morning. The throbbing has stopped. I'm thinking, researching an ankle forum and finding that pain is normal for at least 6 months, I feel more relaxed about it. Now, to make sure I don't lean over on this foot!
 
What a balancing act, between the knee and the foot! I'm glad you made that observation today and will be more conscious of how you are weighting your foot. Kudos on the nap!
 
Paula, I think you need to get it checked out, maybe even a check xray. Better be safe than sorry.
 
I have an appointment Wednesday, @Josephine. He xrays me every time I go. I am feeling better tonight. I did nothing but ADL today.
 
Could this be a tendon that's starting to hurt?
More just soft tissue. There's more involved in a fracture than just the bone.
The throbbing has stopped. I'm thinking, researching an ankle forum and finding that pain is normal for at least 6 months, I feel more relaxed about it.
What would we do without internet forums!!
 
What would we do without internet forums!!
@Josephine, especially this special forum!!
I have had the pains a couple of times today but, since I have no bruising or swelling, I'm thinking that it is the soft tissues complaining and not just the fibula that hurts. It is strange that it is at the exact spot the break is, though.
 
Good news!! Today at church I had to go up and down 2 sets of stairs. I have discovered that my new right knee is stronger than my left one! Lefty was always the stronger of the two, but not now. Being able to work this new knee without the arthritis pain has increased its strength. And being non weight-baring for 5 weeks with my ankle/foot injury didn't cause my knee to lose its strength!! Yippee, my depression is going away.
 
Back
Top Bottom