TKR No Kneecap and a TKR Experience

Don't treat the UTI yourself for too long, Paula. You need to get on top of it quickly. And, unless you had a full course of the antibiotic left, it's a bad idea to take a shortened course. That's the way that resistant bacteria are formed.
 
And, unless you had a full course of the antibiotic left, it's a bad idea to take a shortened course. That's the way that resistant bacteria are formed.
Ah shucks, I already have. I've taken three dozes. I have about 10 left. It is better right now, though there's still some discomfort. Hopefully, these will work for me. "NOW D-Mannose 500 mg.
 
@sistersinhim
Paula, please see you own doctor. You need to take a full course of the appropriate antibiotic. Taking a partial course just gives the bugs more strength, because they can start to become resistant. This could cause you more problems the next time.

If you start treating the infection yourself with leftover antibiotics, you need to follow up with a prescription to complete the full course.
 
OK, @Celle, thank you. I went and looked and I have 13 pills together from the leftover prescriptions that were for the total of 14. I've already taken 3, so I should be in good shape! I have enough for the seven day treatment. I will take the pills from Amazon as a maintenance thing. I don't know why these UTIs are showing up for the first time, 2 within a year!
 
I went through one year when i had several UTIs, but (so far) they haven't come back. :fingersx:

Naughty girl, to have leftover antibiotics :bignono: - you should always complete the full course, even if you feel completely better. I've happy you have enough to take a full course this time, but please don't hoard them again. Sometimes their expiry date goes past and sometimes they aren't appropriate for the next infection.
 
I know you're right. Thanks for pointing that out to me.
 
@sistersinhim, just catching up on your thread and I'm going to quote you, hahaha! "You're doing too much if your foot is swelling and your knee is painful. Rest, rest, rest along with ice and elevation!" C'mon now, you KNOW this stuff, so stop trying to do "everything!" I now you hate the weeds, want to drive and do normal activities, but....the foot and the knee are trying to tell you something. So, listen....I can hear them all the way up here! Patience babe!
 
@Pheebs52 you hit that nail on the head! I'm just enjoying being able to walk again! My church stuff was unavoidable, but the weeding is. I haven't done any of that since last Thursday. I hope my new knee is angry only because of this boot I have to wear. My walk is now uneven, even though I've found a shoe for the left foot that's close to the same level. I've done nothing today but ADL. I will get my hair cut tomorrow, (since I can drive!) and then come back home and do just the same! Thank you for caring!
 
I am glad you are planning on a day of rest tomorrow after your hair cut.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Ok, today you have a good plan. A day of beauty is great for the spirit, but....no weeds please! Is it your TKR knee that hurts or the *good* one? I'd think dragging a 3 pound boot around would be a bit much for either since you've only recently gotten out of the wheelchair? You did some stairs as well, didn't you? Could be that as well, hard to say, but let's hope it all clears up quickly with some TLC, eh?
 
It's my new tkr that hurts worse now, the same one with the boot. It's even worse today. To get out of my house to the ground, I have 5 steps that have hand rails on both sides, so I can hang on with both hands! So, really, I don't have that many steps, thank God! And I'm taking them foot over foot! That doesn't hurt. Any kind of raising of my leg while sitting or laying is what hurts so bad. I'm thinking the boot is making my newly grown knee hurt, not a problem with the hardware! I'll step out in faith on that! Since I can now drive, I see my knee OS on the 24th for my year check up. I'll know for sure then.

I drove by myself alone for the first time this morning since my injury! I was a little nervous going, but coming back I felt fine! The foot/ankle did really good. I could even get my flip flop back on after having my leg down for 30 minutes for my haircut! Since it's already a heat index of 96*, I'm staying in the house and doing just the things I have to do! Tomorrow is another day. All week long it's supposed to be super hot, so my work outside will be early morning before the sun gets above the trees! Can't stand that heat and humidity! Come on autumn!
 
Oh crud, I was hoping it was the other knee; pffft! Great news on your first solo drive though; brava! It does feel exciting, doesn't it? And I know the haircut made you feel much better.:yes!: Unfortunately, you've really got a ways to go for Autumn. When does it typically cool off in your area, November?

I'm sure you didn't do anything serious to your knee, but I'm glad you'll be seeing your OS soon. It's always a relief to have the official word on something like that.

Stay cool and ice that knee. You're in good company here!
 
My ob-gyn said most of the patients he sees with UTIs are past menopause. He said dryness contributes to bacteria getting in.
Hmm...I never researched that aspect.
In any case the last time I had one it was really very, very painful and I was so grateful for antibiotics that worked so quickly. What in the world did women do in past times?
Wishing you good healing on all fronts!
 
Great news about the driving. It's hot here, too, and good reason not to do much yard work. Early morning is the only time you won't suffer, so might as well do a very little then and use the heat as an excuse to rest for the remainder of the day. I'm sorry to hear your knee is hurting, though. It's probably mostly from the boot, because that's like walking around with a weight on your ankle, so the knee gets more stretch.
 
@Pheebs52, the independence of driving is a real mood up-lifter! I was on cloud 9 coming back home!
It doesn't cool off much until October. If only the humidity would go away, it would be so much more bearable. As it is now, I stay in a/c as much as possible. My shorter hair will help! A new haircut always feels good!

@VW54, my UTI is much better! Almost completely gone! But, I will take the full 7 day treatment to make sure it's gone. Some on here, in the past, during their pre-surgical exam it was discovered they had a UTI, even though they had no symptoms. I want to be sure this is gone! I've been through menopause for at least 10 years, and the first UTI I had was last year after my tkr. All I know is they make you feel miserable! We girls always have something to worry about, it seems.

@SusieShoes, I think it's probably the boot hurting me. After falling directly on my new knee that day, it hurt pretty badly for a couple of weeks. Of course, I was in a wheelchair for 5 weeks and my knee got much better. Since walking in the boot, it is getting worse. Not only is the boot heavy, I am unable to find a matching sole height for my other leg. I think these two things are the main cause for my flair up.

Thank you ladies for your concern and support. It means so much to me!
 
I think you're right, Paula. The uneven length and uneven gait will be putting a strain on your new knee. How much longer will you have to wear the boot?

I'm glad the UTI seems to be clearing up.
 
@Celle, I don't know how much longer it'll be. I see my OS on the 19th. I have to wear it at least that long. My breaks will be a little over 8 weeks old then. He said he probably wouldn't see any remodeling until 10 weeks. Hopefully, he'll let me come out of it at 8 weeks! This thing is hot! At least I can take it off while I'm sitting. That helps me to cool off and work on my ROM, which is the same as the other foot now! The pain comes when I try and swing it from side to side, so I don't! No pain=more gain! It's a proven fact!
 
That makes sense, Paula. I hope you get the boot off on the 19th, but it may be better to wear it for a while longer - you're looking at long-term results there.
I can understand why your knee doesn't like the side to side movement - it took about 18 months before mine accepted those.
 
@Celle, I was talking about my foot and ankle. My ROM on it is equal to the other foot/ankle! The sideways movement I was speaking of wasn't on the knee. I know not to try and twist that in any way.
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom