TKR No Kneecap and a TKR Experience

Update on my day. Walking on that concrete floor, underneath our vinyl on top, at church yesterday has resulted in a very sore ankle with lots of swelling. Before being so sore, this morning I went out and worked in the yard for about an hour. The longer I stood or walked the more I started hurting. I came in and have been trying to elevate as much as I can between my ADLs. Patience, Paula!

My knee is still sore, but nothing near as bad as it was yesterday. It didn't wake me up with pain like it did the night before, so it's getting used to being used again! I still have to watch out for that hyper-extending. It is so strange. I have to build those muscles back up to give me some stabilization.
 
that's a good sign that your knee is recovering from the increase in activity which triggered the soreness. try not to overdo it. i'm amazed at your resilience and ambition through all this.:flwrysmile:
 
Thank you, @liam2015. I'm stubborn and hate for anything to beat me! Including a few broken bones! I have to get this foot and knee right so I can get my left knee replaced eventually, hopefully, before the end of the year.
 
I think you joined the ankle ODIC, Paula. I'm glad your knee is coping, but do remember not to overdo things for your ankle. :friends:
 
Thanks, Celle. I agree that I over did it. As usual, you don't feel it when you're doing it, it's the night of or the next day. I bet that's true with any joint being stressed.

I see my OS for my, finally, first year check up on Monday. I have a few concerns that I'll bring up with him. Since I've had so many surgeries on this knee, (6), I probably can't expect it to be painfree. But it is better! That's what we all want! I'll also ask about my left one and get his opinion on it's lift time. I know the Medicare changes are coming in 2018, so that will be part of my decision making, too.
 
I don't have to wear my ankle brace unless I feel I need it.

Just catching up with your ankle saga. I had a significant ankle injury a few years ago and moved from cast to boot to shoes over the course of 3 months. Once I was in shoes I found a lace up brace helped a lot to keep swelling down and helped me just feel more confident in the ankle, more stable. I found something lightweight and comfortable that fit inside sneakers. I'll see if I can find a link.
 
Thank you, Lynn, @gertie, I already have two of them from a previous bad sprain. The only difference is it's Velcro instead of lace up. I'm trying hard not to use them so I can get some of the muscle strength back. If I feel that the ankle is too weak, I won't hesitate to wear one of them.
 
I hope you took it easy and rested those bones! We only want forward movement!
 
Hi there. We went kayaking this morning before it got so hot. We were out on the water for about an hour and my ankle did well. I woke up with pains in the upper part of my foot, a new place, but not bad enough for prescription meds.

Normally, the only way I could get out of the boat, was to sit on the side and step into thigh high water. Today, I was able to get out with the water right below my knees! Yay, my right knee is so much stronger!

I'm still fighting my new knee going too far backwards. I didn't have this problem before the fall, and the non and light weight-baring. It's baffling. I will have to find exercises to stop this. It makes me unstable. I hope the fall on my knee didn't cause some problems with the implant or my bones.
 
What great news about your ankle! And how fun to go kayaking!

Congrats all around!


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
@sistersinhim - rest, ice, elevation. I'm sure it works for ankles too! Kayaking sounds like fun. Not sure I could sit in a kayak just yet so applause to you!

Peg
 
That is great news :) That must have been wonderful to go kayaking. Love being able to do the "normal" things :)
 
@sistersinhim, I just caught up with your thread since the grandbaby was born. Yah!! for getting your boot off. I know your happy that is behind you. Look at you going kayaking, I'm really impressed. :kayak:Seems like I read here somewhere when someone felt like the knee was hyperextending that someone said that wasn't possible with the implant and that it just felt that way. I might have just got that mixed it up with late night reading. I'm sure you will ask about that on Monday. I'm happy you can get this behind you and start working with that knee!
 
Thank you, ladies! The foot is doing much better this morning, none of those pains in it like I had Friday night and most of the day yesterday!

I will study up on the hyper extension I'm getting at times. Surely, it has to do with walking for differently for months. The more I use this knee, the more it's come back to like it was before the fall, I'm sure!

I'll let you know what my OS says tomorrow. This is the first time I've seen him since my 1 month check up.
 
Wow, kayaking. I haven't done that in years.
It would be wonderful to cautiously have rethink my activities in 2 years from now!
 
I'm happy to hear you got back to a favorite activity. Slow steady got you there.
 
I actually went bike riding on my outside bike for 2.3 miles yesterday! It had been over 9 weeks. The knees did good, but the ankle and foot started hurting when I came up a hill. I did a cool down and came on back home. So, two things on my bucket list since the breaks were done this past weekend! I am very sore today, but it was worth it! My yard work can wait until tomorrow! It won't go anywhere, darn it!!

I met with my knee OS this morning. I told him my concerns and he said the x-rays looked good, that I can't expect to be painfree. I told him about falling on it when I broke my ankle and he I probably would have cracked my kneecap, if I had, had one! So, I'm blessed that way! If my knee is better than it was before the surgery and I'm happy, then he said he's happy. He checked my extension and bend and was very happy with both. Nothing at all was mentioned about no PT reports!

I asked about my old knee. He said when the pain got unbearable, he'd do it. That he had no way of knowing how long it'd last. Maybe months or maybe forever! I like the sound of that! Right now, it's not that bad. Since getting back on two feet, it has eased up. I didn't even get a cortisone shot!

All in all, it was a very good day. I was disappointed that he said I wouldn't be painfree, but I was told that years ago, so I sort of expected it. Because of all the damage to the tissues from all the surgeries, there would be pain. Bummer. But, still it's better and stronger! That's what counts!
 
wowza sistersinhim ~ catching up on your thread and you've been kayaking and biking? that is amazing. things are coming together for you; wonderful! :wowspring:
 
It's a good report on the whole from your surgeon, Paula. Even if your knee does give you some pain, it could lessen as time goes by, and it's nowhere near as bad as the arthritis pain before your TKR, so it's a win for you.

I can't say that my knees are 100% pain free, but they're about 95%. Most of the time I forget they're artificial and they only give me the occasional twinge if I do something they don't like, such as twisting. I feel that's reasonable, as they each have two huge foreign bodies inside them, and I make allowances for that. They're so much better than my old, original knees.

I'm pleased to hear you got out on your bike again. Well done, you! :bicycle1:
 
Back
Top Bottom