TKR No Kneecap and a TKR Experience

I'm so happy your right knee is earning your trust and faith. It's new and strong, and will continue to get better. Sometimes it takes realizing what's going right to enable us to see that not everything is going wrong. Just a few things. There are these other things, though, that are going right. Sometimes they get overlooked, but they are there for us, whether or not we see them.
 
@SusieShoes, you are so right. I have been so down about this set back. Then the pain in my knee had me really concerned. But, then I realized it was from non-use. I've been babying my ankle/foot so much, that I was ignoring my new knee. I tried last week to walk up the 4 steps to my house leading with my right foot. I was really watching out for my ankle, and I did it. Today, I faced these 2 sets of stairs, probably 20 steps! It was getting easier on my ankle, and that's when I realized my knee was so much stronger! It was there the whole time and I couldn't tell because I couldn't use it. Now, I'm using that knee and it is good!
 
That's great news!! Yay!!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
It was a lot of steps with a broken foot and ankle! But, I did it! I see my OS this Wednesday. I'm hoping he'll let me out of the walking boot. I'm getting heat on my foot pretty badly. If I can go into an ankle brace, it would be such a relief. I can even drive with that on. Right now, I'm walking to the car, taking off the boot, putting on my flipflop and then driving. Get to my destination and the opposite occurs, etc. I'm so thankful I can drive now, so I'm not complaining, just wanting an easier way!
 
Thank you, @Pheebs52, but my appointment is tomorrow. I can stand in the shower without it with no problem. Of course, I'm holding on to the grab bar, just in case! But, I am ready to try without, if he says I'm healed enough to do it.
 
@Pheebs52, we crossed in cyberspace!
I am still swelling some. I don't know if that means anything or not. I've been doing more, so, it's probably like the knee is, the more you do, the more it'll swell. I'm over a year out, and my knee still swells some. I just might be prone to swelling, especially in my big feet and legs! I got it from my sweet grandma!
 
I'm sure having to wear the boot and the hot weather also contribute to swelling, don't you agree? And yes, it is like the knee as far as swelling when overdoing; pffft!
 
Just got caught up on your thread. That is great about the steps the other day. You have been through a lot yet you continue to always help others! I hope you get your boot off tomorrow too!
 
Thank you, ladies. I'll post tomorrow afternoon with my news. I pray it's good!
 
God is so good! My bones are healed and I'm out of that boot! My soft tissues have to heal, and I'm to let pain and swelling be my guide. It is swollen now after sitting for over 3 hours, but not much pain! I don't have to wear my ankle brace unless I feel I need it. Now, let's see if my right knee will straighten up!
 
Remember your stellar advice you give to all of us: baby steps, give your healing body time and rest. Don't push too hard, but be patient and kind with your newly healed bones and needy soft tissues. Such great news! We're all happy for you!
 
Hurrah! This is FANTASTIC news, but.....ditto what Susie said, lol! I'm really happy for you.:egypdance:
 
Thank you for sharing in my rejoicing! It was a long 69 days, but now the boot is off! Today will be a big test. I have to work at church helping to serve approximately 50 seniors lunch. I told the 'girls' at church last night that I might not make it the whole time, but I'll do what I can do.

Oh, more rejoicing! I have been unable to weigh for the last 2+ months and was very apprehensive about stepping on those scales this morning. Well, I prayed that I hadn't gained too much, then bit the dust and stepped on those things. I have LOST 1 1/2 lbs! Hallelujah! I guess lugging around that heavy cast, and then boot burnt calories! Yippee!

I'm having a strange reaction in my new knee since shedding the boot. My knee wants to hyper-extend. It's a very strange sensation. It also woke me up with a lot of pain during the night and is sore this morning. I guess it's an adjustment for the knee to get back to being normal. Very, very strange. I see the knee OS Monday. We'll see what the xrays say.
 
Please take care of yourself and don't overdo things. The 'girls' will understand if you can't help this round. You know the oxygen mask analogy, right? If you don't take care of yourself first, you won't be able to help others at all.
Best healing wishes once more.
 
Today wasn't to bad. I had to run the overhead projector for the person giving our program. At first I was afraid I'd have to stand the whole time, but was able to find a way to sit and occasionally prop up my foot! After that, I helped in the kitchen a little bit and helped to serve dessert. I put about 4500 steps on the Fitbit, and finally said goodbye and see ya Sunday! I'm swollen and sore, but not as bad as I feared. I still have to watch my knee wanting to go backwards. This is a first for me.
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom