Guest viewing is limited

TKR No Kneecap and a TKR Experience

Try not to think of it as putting somebody out, Paula. Instead, think that you are presenting them with an opportunity to do a good deed. :flwrysmile:
 
Celle, I know you are right. But, it is so hard to ask for help.
 
Paula, I know you're thinking about last summer when all the yard work piled up due to your TKR. But let the weeds go for now so you can heal properly. Things won't get as out of control as last summer because if you let it go for a little you'll be back to normal in a little. I don't want to see you set yourself back.
 
I'm not doing much today. I pulled some grass and weeds before breakfast, but that's all for the day except for ADLs. They always keep me up and down! I hope everyone is having a blessed 4th of July!
 
I really have no choice. Besides being hot as blazes, my ibs is rearing it's ugly head. I can get a head start on working on next Sunday's SS lesson, and not worry about outside. I teach my peers, so it's really hard to come up with things that are new to them. It takes a lot of research. That will keep me sitting and in a/c for most of the rest of the week!
 
Have you thought of doing a study on one of Beth Moore's books?
 
We have SS quarterly we have to go by. Each week the lesson is already in the book. All the members get a study guide and I get a teacher's guide, too. But, there is a whole lot in the teacher's guide that I don't agree with, so I research. I didn't make it to SS or church this past Sunday because I didn't have a ride. My BBF usually takes me, but she was out of town for the holiday. The Sunday before, I had a hard time thinking. I guess even with something like this injury a person develops brain fog.

Who is Beth Moore?
 
I have a success to report. I came up the step with my right, bad foot/ankle first, and it didn't hurt! Of course, I was holding on to take off some weight, but no pain! And it seems I haven't lost any strength in my new knee and quads. There is good news after all!

I asked my OS if I could swim. Nope, not yet. Patience again.
 
That is great news Paula! Each step will give you more confidence in that repaired foot/ankle. Yippee for you!:yes!:
 
Oh that is great news, Paula! It's quite possible that the broken bones haven't set back your knee's progress at all. :yes!: :happydance: :spin: :dancy:
 
You're just giving the knee a little staycation. Hopefully you'll be allowed to get in a pool soon because I'd think that would be easier than full weight bearing.
 
@KarriB, swimming is such a relaxing, good for your whole body, exercise. I really look forward to getting back into the pool. Maybe after my visit to the OS on the 19th.

I was able to work another hour or so outside this morning before the sun got hot. I'm getting it. It's slow, but coming! The foot and ankle still swell, but it comes back down when I elevate. It actually swelling worse in a place that's not broken.

@Josephine, or other nurses, it is a place that's about 3" in diameter on my upper foot that isn't where the bones are broken. The 2nd and 3rd. bones are broken. The swelling is #4 or #5 bones. Do you think it could be a muscle or tendon? That's where the majority of the pain is after I'm up on it for a while.
 
Let's see if we can figure it using this chart

[Bonesmart.org] No Kneecap and a TKR Experience
 
Thank you so much Josephine. The swelling and pain is on the F & G 6. It is painful to touch it when it's swollen after being walked on and/or down for a while. Otherwise, no pain. The ankle pain in minimal.
 
Seems like I read a post yesterday on your thread and you sounded great and felt good and had no pain on the step!!! That's wonderful - but I also think it came after some day(s) of taking it a bit easy. Please listen to your BoneSmartie friends and take it easy. I'm so sure you'll have less swelling if you do.
:console2:
 
@jaschembra, thank you. This pain and swelling has been here all along. It's true that it's much better than it was, especially my ankle, but I just started walking last week, and the pain is concentrated on the foot and not the ankle. I am thrilled about being able to walk up a step with it! The pain comes after being up for 30 minutes or so. When I remove the boot, the swelling is just in an area that doesn't have the 2 broken bones. I'm just curious as to why it would swell and be tender there. If I've strained or torn a tendon I need to be prepared for that hurdle.
 
Hopefully you didn't do anything to the foot when you mis-stepped. I once had two fractures in those top foot bones - X-rays didn't show it but an MRI did (that's when I first discovered the knee scooter!)

By the way - I experienced 1 hour of pulling weeds and I even had a chair for most of it - after, I canned 15 pints of bread and butter pickles (sitting for a lot of it) - but that weeding wore me out. I piled the weeds high onto the 4 wheeler and took it to the chickens and they had a hayday, scratching away!

I've been elevated for the last 2 hours, barely moving. Not hurting, just beat!!! lol
 
@jaschembra, Swelling has been down to about 1/3 today and that means the pain, too! I'm weeding only about an hour and 15 minutes a day. That seems to be working OK for my foot! I will try using one of my deck chairs. Thanks for the tip! I know I can't sit on the ground, not with this foot, but my chairs have arms on them. They will work! That'll be a huge help!

What did you do to heal your fractures? Which bones were they? You can see the two fractures on my xrays. How long did your pain last? Were you in a boot, too? Are they OK now? I'm afraid they are going to hinder my walking and enjoying my new knee.

I'm planning on trying to drive tomorrow morning when there's not much traffic. I tried it last week, but my foot wasn't ready. I'll know as soon as I push on that brake!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I'm full weight-baring now, but still in the boot. I took the boot off in the car, with OS's approval and actually drove about 20 miles Saturday and then shopped. My friend had to take over after that. I was pooped! In SS and church yesterday, I was unable to elevate properly, so I was pretty swollen when I got back home. All I did after that was rest, elevate and nap! It came back down after a few hours!

Since walking, my new knee is angry with me. I don't know if it's because of the boot throwing my gait off, or the weight of the thing. It weights at least 3 pounds. I really thought My Brat would be up to the challenge. Maybe it will take some time. Patience, Paula! Of course, lefty is complaining, too. I'm not surprised. It's due for a tkr, too. If my foot/ankle aren't up to it, I'll just have to wait until they are. I was hoping around October.

Now, on top of that, I've gotten a UTI. It's only the 2nd one I've ever had. Strange thing is the first one was just about the same time out from my tkr that my second one is from my fall and injury. I wonder if it's just a coincidence. All I know is that it kept me up quite a while last night. Luckily, I had some of the antibiotics left from my 1st attack that I started last night, so I should start to feel better soon. I googled natural remedies for a UTI and ordered some pills from Amazon that should be here tomorrow. I'd much rather go the natural way. I have crasions, but they have too much sugar. They said the same thing about plain cranberries. The pills have the good stuff in them that the cranberries do without the sugar.
 
Back
Top Bottom