Guest viewing is limited

TKR No Kneecap and a TKR Experience

I would have ridden a lot further if the sun hadn't come back out, shooting up the temperature, and the ankle given up on me. But, how good it felt to get back on there. I was afraid, at first, but then was fine!

My new knee was much better before I fell than it is now. I'm thinking that my soft tissues are still a little angry. I am hoping it will get better as time goes on.
 
Well done with the biking and kayaking Paula -- that must feel good to get back to activities that you love. As time goes on you'll be able to do them for longer periods. And you are so right . . . the yard and garden aren't going anywhere!
 
Kayaking?!? Biking?!? I think you should let the yard take care of itself and keep having fun! I am so happy to hear you are able to return to the activities that bring you joy, gives the rest of us hope that we will get there too.
 
Unfortunately, the yard can't wait. If I don't do it, it doesn't get done and will just be worse when I do get to it! I string-trimmed about 1/2 of the area yesterday evening and will finish it today. Praise God that it's forecasted to be cooler with lower humidity! That will help with my stamina! The foot is worse, but I'll rest and ice it as needed and take Tylenol. The ankle is hanging in there with less pain than the foot! Maybe it's harder to heal foot bones and soft tissues.

My new knee is still painful when moving certain ways. I'm hoping the more I use it, the more the soft tissues will calm down. If not, there's ice and rest for it, too.
 
I came back to a garden full of weeds, items that need to be harvested, etc. after my vacation last week I am hoping to devote about an hour each evening this week to catching up. Of course my garden is much smaller than your yard and it is quite cool in the mornings and evenings out here in central Colorado so I have a few advantages.
 
I can't imagine dealing with landscaping. My yard is small and I didn't plant flowers this year, so it's down to what Mr. Shoes does, namely the mowing. If I were single, though... I'd have to get out and do it myself. You can't tell the grass to stop growing, and weeds will overtake everything given half a chance. I've gotten out and pulled a few everyday, and hardly make a dent in the things.
 
Paula, I am just getting caught up with the forum this morning. I am thrilled to hear the boot is history and that you went kayaking and biking. :spin::loveshwr::yay:. It must feel great to finally get back on track. Be careful and take good care of yourself.
 
It took a couple of hours, but I finally finished the string-trimming. My foot has blown up like a balloon and I'm icing as I write. When I get up again, I'll get my leg elevator. That will help even more.

My knee liked all that walking and is feeling much better! These new knees want to walk! I'm so thankful I'm able to now! God is good...all the time! Even though I stayed mad at Him for almost 2 months, He still healed me!
 
Great thing about God, you can be mad at Him all you like and He just smiles and loves you anyway. He would also say, "Listen to your body. I made it wise. That foot is telling you something." :beg:
 
You are so right. As my friend said, "God has big shoulders and can take your being mad at Him." I am so grateful now that I can do the things I need to do! I realize it could have been a lot worse. God has His reasons for this happening. I may not find out why in this life, but will sooner or later.

I finished cutting the grass. It's a riding lawnmower, so no more walking, but still lots of swelling. I am all caught up on most of my work and will take tomorrow off for recoup time!
 
Wow, when you got rid of the boot, you really put your life into high gear! I'm delighted to hear about your kayaking and cycling adventures! Talk about two, very freeing experiences; just the ticket after all you've been through! More fun might = more swelling, but....some things are just worth it.:yes!:Yardwork, well...not so much, lol, but I know it has to be done.

I'm curious as to what your OS said about the knee hyperextending? Is it actually doing so, or is that it just feels that way? For instance, when I had my hip replaced, I was told one leg would feel shorter than the other for awhile, and it did, but in reality it wasn't. It just took some time for my brain to catch up with the new hip/leg status. Hopefully, this will be the same for you.

I wonder if your foot and ankle would appreciate the same routine as your knee where you would alternate a busy day with a DOR? Something tells me they might, mostly because I can see you are very "Busy Bee," type personality and that makes it all to easy to overdo.

I'm sorry to hear you still have some knee pain, but I'm willing to bet it's much better than your old OA pain? If so, that's a real victory in my book!

Keep trying to balance rest, recreation and work, just like the rest of us @sistersinhim. I know it's hard to achieve balance, but it's not impossible. :happydance:
 
@Pheebs52 I didn't mention the hyper-extending to my OS Monday since it's improving. It was really doing it because it would catch when it reached it's limit. It had to have something to do with my injury and it being incapacitated for two months. The knee muscles weakened when not being used, but are coming back now!

My foot really suffered yesterday evening from all the yard work it did yesterday, but is at least 50% better today! I was going to change my sheets and do the laundry today, but have decided to just to the ADLs! I have church and choir practice tonight, so I might as well get all the rest I can today! I think any joint injury will benefit from the BS way to recovery. The icing certainly helps to bring down the swelling and aids in the pain relief.

It is a blessed cooler day again today! I even have a window opened with the fan blowing in the cool air! I hope all of you on the eastern part of the country are having it, too!
 
Great news @sistersinhim! And, a very good plan for today since you will have a busy evening. Now, can you stick with your plan? I'll be watching, lol! The laundry and sheet change can definitely wait a day.... or three. :yes!:
 
I'm glad @Pheebs52 has the time to watch you, because you kind of need that. :heehee: Busy Bee is a good descriptor. Energizer Bunny also fits! You don't sit still unless someone or something ties you down. But yeah, pare back the activity wherever possible. I think of the old advice about wearing jewelry so as not to be "over-dressed": put on your sparkles... then take off one piece. Figure out your activity, then deduct something.
 
You girls will be keeping up and then surpassing me before you know it! If I had a husband around I would delegate much of this work, but I wonder if they're worth it. Not my ex! So, I'll keep enjoying being able to do what I can do and rest when I need to. Today is a slow day. My Fitbit says only 2322 steps so far. That's low for me, especially since I can walk now and my new knee is thrilled! Even my old one isn't reacting too badly! Yippee! Now, to get this foot in line. It's slooooow and wants to be babied! Guess I'll have to for a while, when I have to! It has to get on the wagon soon. I want to go camping and hiking in the woods!
 
S-L-O-W D-O-W-N Paula.....this is your conscience speaking! Remember, husband or not, this is a DOR for you!
 
Yep, you are so right! Still only 2973 steps!
 
You are incorrigible . . . I mean that in the nicest possible way . . . . Susie was right - Energizer Bunny is an apt descriptor. 3000 steps is still quite a few! :yes:
 
Before my fall, I was usually hitting 8-12000 steps a day. I did hit 10,665 yesterday, and I am paying for it now. Tomorrow was going to be a grocery day, but it ain't gonna happen unless I feel much better. But, I can say the yard is done for a week or so! Well, except for pulling weeds out of the flowerbeds. That's two or three times a week! I need a gardener! I actually did try to find one on Angies' List and Home Advisor, and nobody wants a little home job. Bummer! Neighbor kids don't even do their own yards, so they wouldn't touch mine! Boy, have times changed.
 
Back
Top Bottom