Newbie saying hello and asking advice

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm sure the hospital will help you to decide what you will need, I've only had sticks, a loo seat and a long handled helping hand, so don't worry too much. You should hopefully have a chat with a physio who will talk you through it all and how you will cope. We're here and happy to help with any questions, don't worry it will be ok. x
 
Red shoe. I'm in Scotland. Hip was done in Southern general. They made sure everything at home was measured for my wee legs before I left hospital and gave me a raised toilet seat, shower seat ( handy for sitting tea on when in the bath), long shoe horn and grabber thingy... oh and a...rag...on a stick ( ok....I thought I was in the Simpsons there, it's actually a sponge on a long handle, to reach the tickly bits). But they were good at assessing what was needed. X.
 
Audball hello and thanks for info. I'm from Birmingham and having my op at The Royal Orthopaedic. I'm only 5 ft tall so a short grabby thing will do me fine. How you people get in and out of the shower after its done. The thought of not staying clean is stressing me somewhat :sad: I'm also hoping to go back to work after a month and smelling like a polecat will put of my audience :blush:
 
I have a stand alone shower with a 6-8 inch step up, I put a non slip mat down and hubby helped me in and out for a few weeks until I was confident to get in and out myself. Not sure how you manage if the shower is over the bath, Elosarabrab Kim22 Audball TeeEm do any of you have showers over that are over the bath, how did you manage?
I am the worlds worst worrier, and if I have nothing to worry about, I worry I've forgotten something I should be worrying about!! I naturally worried about having equipment for after surgery but it really does all fall into place and you don't always need as much as you think. As Kim says you get directed to the correct person to talk to about what you might need. Your problem areas could be the bed and the chair you plan to sit in if they are quite low, but we have cunning plans that can help!! :)
 
Red Shoe I got sent a form to measure everything in the house (chair height, loo etc) which I had to take with me to the hip eductation class, where I was assessed for what I needed. I got 2 loo raises (which were both brand new) and a perching stool - get one if offered as they come in really handy -. Everything was delivered to my house before surgery. I bought the grabber and sock aid. I also bought a sponge on a stick. I wish I had bought another grabber so I had one upstairs and one downstairs.
I couldnt get in the shower to start with. My shower cubical has a really high step and I just couldnt manage it when my leg was swollen, plus I was toe touch weightbearing. Like a lot of people, I had 'bird baths' at the bathroom sink for a couple of weeks. Thats where the stool comes in handy.
If you buy your own loo raise, make sure you get ones with arms/handles on as pulling yourself up is very difficult to start with.
I was given crutches post-op in hospital, but not a walking stick, but I had already bought myself a fold up one anyway.
Other things to take into account - my leg was very swollen including my foot for a couple of weeks post op. You might be lucky with the weather but my feet were freezing so I got a couple of pairs of bed socks to wear during the day as ordinary socks were too tight, and check youve got a pair of shoes that will accomodate a swollen foot or you'll be stuck in the house. Also some knickers 2 times bigger than your normal size, and a couple of pairs of jogging bottoms.
 
do any of you have showers over that are over the bath, how did you manage?
Yes mine is over the bath. I got a bath board you back up to it then sit down. Help your leg over one at a time. I had a grab rail fitted so I could pull myself up to stand and it also gave me help balancing in the early days.
As others have said you will have your measurements taken so they can advise if you need anything. This is usually done at the pre op appointment. TeeEm raised some good points such as loose clothing and shoes that allow for swelling.
 
I have a walk in shower so had no issues with washing but the OTs will provide you with equipment to be able to shower in the bath.They also fitted a plastic device under my chair to raise it to the correct height.I also found the Preop Education Session very valuable in preparing for the surgery and recovering afterwards I would say as a rule the NHS has got hip replacement well sorted as it is such a routine operation now.
 
Bless you all for the info, I'm a bit obsessive about washing my hair and our shower is over the bath. The hospital do have OT sessions which I will be sent for, I've just looked on their website and it seems as if they do everything to prepare you. We live in a bungalow so stairs won't be a problem. We do have a lot of clutter with music gear and guitars but my sister has offered to store stuff for me so I will have less to bump into. I'm really struggling today, lay awake last night crying with pain. Since my hip gave way yesterday it don't feel right. I'm wondering if the tear has got worse. We've just had a rehearsal and had to sing sitting down, I must get used to this and not get hiccups :groan:
 
We are all with you there!!! The gnawing pain can just be relentless and on top of that you get stabs of pain to add to it!! I agree with Kim about taking your pain killers and also the NAIDs which I found most helpful. It would be good for you to not have clutter around when you get home from hospital. It won't be as easy for you to get through narrow gaps especially if you are walking with sticks so if your sister can take your stuff for a while it'd be a really good idea.
 
Littlejem and Kim22 I can't tolerate anti NAIDs as they upset my tummy so much. I've taken pure codeine today and fell asleep on the sofa for an hour. You've hit the nail on the head with the gnawing pain, it's like someone has a chisel to my bones and is chipping away.
TeeEm the pain at night is the worst, when you roll over on your hip in your sleep, it makes me cry out and I keep waking my husband up.
I never looked forward to an op so much as this one x
 
Red Shoe hair washing-- I have had to wash my hair in the kitchen sink for as long as we've lived in this house-- water is so very soft that the conditioner takes forever to rinse off the skin if in the shower. Would a sink hair wash work for you? You don't have to stand up-- can lean on the sink!
I'm sorry about this bad pain-- you will not believe how it's gone after surgery :)
 
I did the same and washed my hair over the washbasin at the weekend as I couldn't tolerate the idea of getting into the shower, I managed quite well at just on a week post op so that's a really good option if you feel the need. I'd been able to have showers in hospital in a wet room so all on one level. I hope you had a better night?
 
Littlejem OOOh I can wash my hair in the sink :) that sounds great to me and if I can reach my nooks and crannies with a sponge on a stick then I should be ok. I slept much better thank you but having a problem with my back which I'm slightly worried about. It's been an ongoing problem for a few years as I have two discs that have popped a couple of years back. I ended up having a spinal injection and it sorted it but I've developed niggling pains where the two discs are. I'm wondering if my hip is causing the back pain due to the fact I'm walking a bit oddly and my postures not been good. I hope the hip op won't make my back worse as I remember my previous him consultant saying that surgery on hips can affect the back ? They do a lot of mauling about with your body in theatre and it can put pressure on the spine ? perhaps I'm just worrying about everything at the moment because I feel low in myself due to pain. I need to get through a heavy schedule of gigs during July and I think that's on my mind as well. Big hugs and thank you for your advice and I hope your doing ok Littlejem ? :kittykiss:
 
I think most obstacles can be overcome post op so if you have any other worries I'm sure one of us can help. That's really interesting what you say about the back and the fact that the op can put pressure on it! Keep taking the tablets and July will fly by if you are going to be so busy. I'm also sleeping a little better thanks and if the weather is kind to me today I think I might just try and sit out in the garden to get some fresh air and take a look see how my flowers are getting on. :SUNsmile:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom