Newbie saying hello and asking advice

Status
Not open for further replies.
  • Are you still away, hope you are enjoying yourself?? Saw your post on Facebook this morning about hubby and daughter at Wimbledon today, lucky things!!
Littlejem zauberflöte bottomshollow Poppet and all you other lovely kind people. I'm back after a lovely break by the seaside. I was we'll behaved and rested in between walks. My hip was good to me but I was also good to my hip. I never loaded one washing machine or did any household chores apart from the odd bottle of wine opening :happydance: Bending is a killer for my hip, I've realised that since Ive been away. I only needed the odd painkiller at night, it was fantastic. However since I came back, I've done two loads of washing and that has already caused my hip to get cross with me. I've decided that I'm also going to get myself fitter before my op. lose a bit of weight and generally get healthier. I had my pre op assessment come through along with my hip class sessions for the 24 th of July, eeeeeeeek, I'm away at a gig that day so going to see if they can change appointment. They've also sent me a form to fill in about the height of my loo and bed and chair :shocked: the thought of sitting on a high toilet frightens the life out of me ! I'm only 5 ft and may fall off it :yikes: Whilst I was away my husband and daughter Megan went to the Wimbledon semi finals and saw the ultimate tennis match. He lost his voice screaming and shouting for Murray to win :) I hope all you good peeps are doing ok and will catch up with you all soon :kittykiss:
 
Red Shoe, about the loo. I, too, am only 5 ft. The standard US loo is 15 inches high (38.1cm) and a handicap loo is 18 inches (45.72cm). You will want a riser to get you to the higher height. You will not fall off---only your toes will touch the floor when sitting back---but as long as you've got arms on the side to push up, you'll be fine. You will NOT want to have to sit and rise from the lower one-----believe me!
 
Red Shoe, so pleased you had a pleasant summer break and holiday.. Lifts the soul that is for sure. Remember honey... This is your year:)

[Bonesmart.org] Newbie saying hello and asking advice
 
You are all so lovely :thank you: I've started to get really scared now but trying to stay calm. I also received a letter asking if I wanted to do a bone marrow donation from the bits they throw away. It's nice to think that you can recycle parts of your body :spin:
 
zauberflöte I can't sleep as mind in overdrive about the op. It's 3:22 in the morning here and I wish I could sleeeeeeeeeep :gaah: xxx
 
oh man Red Shoe wish I was staying up, but I got shortchanged on sleep last night and have to go. Can you sing yourself to sleep? Can you repeat in a monotone "The OS is the expert, I'm the amateur" 1,000 times? LOL I have this problem-- I am not familiar with "mind in overdrive" syndrome, so I am useless when people can't sleep. Although my 26 yr old says that a technique I taught him when he was quite young, still works today! I told him to pretend he walked out to the road in front of our house, and painted large numbers on the pavement, paying close attention to every detail of every house and yard and color and brush stroke as he did it. It was all I could think of LOL. How about, mentally review a music score? Mentally write one? Do times tables? Make up a two syllable nonsense word and repeat it at MM=50-60 till you fall asleep?
here is you, in my wishes: :sleep: :zzz: :sleep: :yawn: :sleep: :sleep: :sleep: zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
 
When I was diagnosed with BC 6 years ago a lovely lady from Breast Cancer Care, would phone me a couple of times a week, talking me through things, she'd had the same op that I was due to have and so knew what I was going through. She recommended I got some White chestnut from Bach flower remedies, it helps with 'unwanted thoughts' when your brain goes into overdrive. I had never used anything like that before and really wasn't convinced but had got to the point I'd try anything and I really think it helped me. Go onto their site and take a look, I still use the rescue remedy. :console2:
 
I also received a letter asking if I wanted to do a bone marrow donation from the bits they throw away
I asked my surgeon what he did with the old bits of bone, and he said he gave them to his dog ! :yikes: He offered to show me it after the surgery, but I declined :sick:
Im glad you had a lovely break. It does get scary when all the letters for hip class, pre-op etc start arriving. It starts to get real ! I hope you sleep better tonight - though its hot so I think it will be difficult for us all to sleep in the UK. :SUNsmile:
 
Hello lovely peeps :kittykiss: I've found out that my surgery date may not be until August 31st but my pre op has been sorted for the 31 st of July. I won't join the August hip group until I get my letter of confirmation , just incase they delay it until September. Your in the hands of the NHS waiting list in the UK :boohoo: Has anyone on here had problems with their ankles due to their hips? Mine have started to cause me great pain and lock. I've also developed shin pain which is keeping me awake. Ironically, my hip is behaving itself and I keep thinking " do I need this op. I have read on here that other people have had the same experience whereby their hip becomes pain free before their surgery. Anyway, I hope your all well and have a fab week chums xx
 
I asked my surgeon what he did with the old bits of bone, and he said he gave them to his dog ! :yikes: He offered to show me it after the surgery, but I declined :sick:
Im glad you had a lovely break. It does get scary when all the letters for hip class, pre-op etc start arriving. It starts to get real ! I hope you sleep better tonight - though its hot so I think it will be difficult for us all to sleep in the UK. :SUNsmile:

TeeEm, Gives them to his dog..... What a mongrel!

You are kidding aren't you? :)
 
Red Shoe I am pleased you had a good time in Scarborough.
I was asked if they could use the bone they removed for research into OA among other things. I was happy to do that I certainly didn't want the bits back.
I hope you get a date soon so you can get sorted.
Have you got a grabber? I found it useful pre op as I couldn't bend either.
 
I wonder how much a femeral head would go for on ebay ? . Oooo. Just thought this - somebody might be lucky enough to have their osteophytes in the shape of Jesus . I wish Id looked at mine now. I could have dipped out on a fortune. :rotfl: :rotfl:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom