Newbie saying hello and asking advice

Status
Not open for further replies.
omg, I had to listen to Barry White for ages !!!! :shocked:
Red Shoe oh NOOOOO I feel your pain, that was enough to make you shimmy right out of the machine. What do you want to bet, no matter what you said you would have gotten Barry White.....:shocked: I'm sorry it takes so long to get the results...

My left foot aches so bad after I run into my neighbor out on the daily dog walking and she goes on and on for what seems like hours, it's like a numb but red hot pain in the poor thing. I need to complain more and let people know I can't stand for long periods.
Poor foot, I agree with you, you need to learn to say, "Sorry, gotta run now!" LOL
 
Well dear peeps, I saw my OS today. He sent me for another X-ray before he spoke to me and then gave me options :scratch: He said that my X-ray didn't show above average wear but my MRI scan showed extensive wear, lesions, cysts and a tear. He still offered me the option of a micro fracture but said he felt it may not do the trick. I was a little confused why my X-ray didn't show what the MRI showed ? After much discussion he said I would benefit from a new hip. I signed the dotted line and he's going to operate mid August. I'm scared to death but can't cope living life like this. Have I made the right decision ? :sigh: Should I be waiting another couple of years? Am really concerned why my X-ray didn't show up above average wear. Has this happened to anyone else ? Sorry for lots of questions but I can't think of a better place to ask. He told me he would use ceramic on ceramic. I've written it all down what he's going to do and will post tomorrow. I've just come back from doing a gig and danced on one leg :spin:
 
Red Shoe YES!! You did the right thing, and I'm glad you don't have to wait forever :) If you waited two years, you'd be dancing in a wheelchair.... X-rays and MRI's are totally different beasts, as I understand it. My mom once had terrible shoulder pain, and the MRI showed nothing. Her GP observed "did NO-one do an x-ray??" and sent her off for one. The x-ray showed a ping-pong ball sized bone spur-- no wonder she hurt!

Tag Josephine for an educated explanation of x-ray vs MRI.
 
zauberflöte thank you, I will tag Josephine . I can understand if a X-ray shows a bad hip and not an MRI but the other way round :shrug: Oooh I forgot to tell the good news as well, my left hip shows no ware apart from torn cartilage and he can fix that via an arthroscopy :)
Josephine dear lady, can you advise me ? X
 
Red Shoe, hi there hon! Jo is away at a conference, so I will give you a little information about MRI's

"imaging evaluation of osteoarthritis has relied primarily on conventional radiography (x-rays) Using radiography in clinical practice or clinical research, however, has been fraught with difficulty. Techniques for reproducibly acquiring serial radiographs of joints have improved considerably over the past several years. However, the greatest promise for advancing knowledge about osteoarthritis and its treatment lies in MRI and its unique ability to examine the joint as a whole organ. In contrast to conventional radiography, MRI can directly visualize the articular cartilage, synovium, menisci, and other intra-articular structures important to the functional integrity of joints".

Does this explain the reason why it may not have shown up so well on the x-ray, but is demonstrated better with the MRI?
 
Poppet thank you and yes it explains more, I was a little thrown when my consultant scratched his head after looking at my X-rays. I think he was expecting it to show more on them but he must believe that a THR is worth it for me ? 4:24 in the morning here and can't sleep :kittykiss:
 
Poppet, how lovely and isn't technology amazing that we are all just a second away. I may get up and make a cup of tea and look out my kitchen window and wait for the sun to rise. I seem to have too much stuff whirring around my head since I saw my OS :kittykiss:
 
Sun, what is that... I used to remember it was a big yellow, golden ball in the sky.. Haha... Winter here, overcast and very cold.. Just checked 1:38 PM Sat morning and it is only minus 7 C.... Brrrrrrr!
 
Ah, your the other end of the world from me Poppet :) Our summer isn't looking good this year but we haven't had a good one for many years. Global warming and all that malarkey to blame x
 
Red Shoe I never had MRI I just had x rays. For years I was saying the pain was getting worse and the doctors said nothing had changed on the x rays taken a year apart. When I finally got to see the specialist he said my hips were in a very bad state. :shrug:
Good news you are getting closer to being sorted. You know you are doing the right thing. Yes its scary but then so is being in constant pain and not being able to do stuff you like doing.
 
Red Shoe I never had MRI I just had x rays. For years I was saying the pain was getting worse and the doctors said nothing had changed on the x rays taken a year apart. When I finally got to see the specialist he said my hips were in a very bad state. :shrug:
.

You had xrays! I am/was a military mans wife and was never offered xrays, PT or cortisone shots for over 27 years. When I complained the pain was getting worse I just got a different NSAID, then Celebrex, then Tramadol then Vicodin. I never expected I would need a new hip, no, no it's just a pain that the right pill would take care of. Sometimes I feel as though our military insurance doctors sort of groomed us into a false sense that "Nothing is wrong unless we say it is and we aren't saying anything". Does that sound crazy?
Maybe I am this morning.
 
didoan no you are not crazy, and the state of health care for service people and their families is shameful. There are good hospitals, I know because I live near one, but not all military personnel have that option. I wish it were otherwise.... Thank you, your family, and your husband for your service :)
 
You had xrays! I am/was a military mans wife and was never offered xrays, PT or cortisone shots for over 27 years. When I complained the pain was getting worse I just got a different NSAID, then Celebrex, then Tramadol then Vicodin. I never expected I would need a new hip, no, no it's just a pain that the right pill would take care of. Sometimes I feel as though our military insurance doctors sort of groomed us into a false sense that "Nothing is wrong unless we say it is and we aren't saying anything". Does that sound crazy?
Maybe I am this morning.
didoan Us in the UK find it hard to comprehend how difficult it is for those across the pond to get treatment without insurance. I've only been to the States once and that was Seattle. What shocked me was the amount of Vets on street corners who were suffering such dreadful illnesses and were begging for food. Anyone who serves for their country should be treated with the utmost dignity and given full free health care. Many UK folk criticise our NHS system but I don't think they realise how lucky they are. I have to say that my hospital have been wonderful to me :angel:
 
I love the snow and cold weather, it's the only time my bones behave. They don't like the heat or damp but snow they love :) Me thinks I might go and live in Aussie land now :happydance:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • EalingGran
    Staff member since January 23, 2024
  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom