Newbie saying hello and asking advice

Status
Not open for further replies.
Elosarabrab I bet you don't , I can't wait for that day even though I'm scared to death. He's told me what joint he's going to use because of my Nicol allergy and have written it all down. I have loads of questions I need to ask you good peeps soon :kittykiss:
 
Well dear peeps, I saw my OS today. He sent me for another X-ray before he spoke to me and then gave me options :scratch: He said that my X-ray didn't show above average wear but my MRI scan showed extensive wear, lesions, cysts and a tear. He still offered me the option of a micro fracture but said he felt it may not do the trick. I was a little confused why my X-ray didn't show what the MRI showed ? After much discussion he said I would benefit from a new hip. I signed the dotted line and he's going to operate mid August. I'm scared to death but can't cope living life like this. Have I made the right decision ? :sigh: Should I be waiting another couple of years? Am really concerned why my X-ray didn't show up above average wear. Has this happened to anyone else ? Sorry for lots of questions but I can't think of a better place to ask. He told me he would use ceramic on ceramic. I've written it all down what he's going to do and will post tomorrow. I've just come back from doing a gig and danced on one leg :spin:

Hi there Red Shoe Your situation is very similar to mine in that the X-ray initially showed minimal deterioration in the hip even though I could hardly walk because of pain.I had an arthroscopy in an attempt to fix a torn labrum last July which didn't work and the OS found areas of bare bone when he viewed the hip through the scope I had another X-ray 6 weeks later which actually showed bone on bone arthritis.The OS told me that X-rays are not always reliable as a diagnostic tool.Needless to say I went on to have a THR. In my opinion its not a good idea leaving things for a few more years as all that means is a few more years of bone on bone pain and increasing disability.Its wonderful that you have a date in August which will soon come round but it gives you time to prepare both practically and emotionally.The arthritis will not go away and only get worse.I also had a ceramic on ceramic implant as I was supposedly young for a hip replacement and my OS told me they last longer.When I was in hospital there was a 34 year old and a 24 year old having the same op so much for the theory of me being too young which I had been told by other health professionals.Lets face it we want our lives back now when we are still young ( or at least consider our selves young ) rather than waiting until we are in our seventies and have developed other health issues due to immobility.
 
Kim22 I can't thank you enough for this advice and I know he wouldn't offer to operate if he thought there was no need. My hip will be an Anthology titanium, cemented component , Exeter stainless steel with a ceramic head and a OGEE cup. The procedure will be done Posteria and if any of you understand any of that then I would be most grateful for enlightenment :scratch: He said that any metal would be coated in cement and I should be ok as the Nicol was minimal in this particular joint? Will I need a toilet seat raise if he's operating around my bottom ? :yikes:
 
Red Shoe, I think its just the names of the various bits they use. That seems to be down to what your surgeon prefers. The posterior approach scar starts at the hip going up towards the bum. If you look at the badges of honour on recovery side you get a better idea. I don't sit on my scars they don't reach that far. You normally get a pre op education session where they explain in more detail what you will have done and what restrictions/equipment you will need.
 
Elosarabrab cheers :) the loo rise was puzzling me as I've not heard about needing one before. I've hit the tramadol hard today so roll on August . I've managed to juggle gigs about so that September is free and I'm ordering myself a stage chair so I can sing partly standing up but be able to lean on it :) I'm going away next week to Scarborough for a few days with my sister. My lovely husband is going to decorate our back living room , bless him. I tend to get in the way and cause havoc trying to help so it will give him some space. He's my soulmate and so wonderful to me in times of pain, I don't know what I would do without him x
 
Red Shoe you will probably need that old loo rise... stock up on stencils of stilettos and red paint now, so you can decorate it and (post a pic!) before you need it. No more plain white stinky toilet risers!
Wonderful visit with your sister, wonderful husband decorating the back room-- you are in clover! Oh wait, the hip hurts? Ok, you will be in clover quite soon! :)
 
Hi Red Shoe, Carolyn It seems ages since I've been over to your thread so lots to read, agree and like, so my apologies to everyone for them all!! I would expect you to get a toilet seat riser, it's mostly so you don't break the 90 degree rule by sitting on something low down, it's also a lot easier to get up from. The seat on my riser is also a lot wider and flatter than a normal seat which makes is kinder on the hip, to sit on, Mine sits inside the bowl of the toilet and clamps down so stays there permanently, lovely conversation but all worth knowing!! My hip is an uncemented ceramic stem and head fitted into a ceramic socket which is inside a metal socket.....clear as mud?? As Elosarabrab says your surgeon will combine what he is happiest you can tolerate with what he is used to using. The time to the surgery will go quickly even though at times when you have the most pain it will seem to drag, I can't believe that I saw my surgeon for the first time in March and here I am with 2 new hips, oh and I only ever had an x ray!! You WILL be better, this IS the right thing to do and you will be amazed by the results xx
 
Littlejem how lovely to hear from you and that your doing so well :flwrysmile: Thank you for the advice and no doubt I will be tugging at your sleeve for more. I shall start googling loo seats and see what's the best deal, maybe eBay or amazon? My consultant said I needed surgery on left hip but that can wait until my other hips replaced. It's only torn cartilage but giving me some grief. You amaze me lass,your so chipper after your op and so soon. If we gig in your neck of the woods then you shall be my guest and I will buy you a nice glass of vino to celebrate. My hubbies getting a bit anxious about my op and how long I will be off work. We are self employed and I'm not sure if its worth signing on sick for a few weeks, it's more hassle than its worth. We live a humble life style and don't party very often so should cope :) I hope your pain has eased Littlejem and your getting spoiled rotten xxxxxx
 
Red Shoe if you're comfortable with used loo raisers, how about a local thrift shop? Cheaper, and then you can buy a gallon of chlorine bleach, and soak it for a week LOL. I don't know just how much hassle "signing on sick" is, but it would seem to me to be worth looking into, just in case, you know? A little extra coming in?
PS you too will be chipper post-op-- you will be just like now only that hip won't hurt!!! Believe us! :)
 
zauberflöte thanks to you all my decision was made. I was gobsmacked ( British term for being shocked) when he told me I needed a new hip . He's based everything on the MRi scan and I saw it, it looked messy with all sorts of lumps and bumps. I've lived with the pain now for so many years, I can't imagine what it will be like without it :boohoo: I told my consultant all about Bonesmart and you lovely peeps, he said he knew of it and would look at my posts :) He's a nice chap, quite handsome as well :happydance:
 
I am gobsmacked that the NHS don't just give them to you for free, I really can't believe they would want them back :eeeuw:. I went private and last time they gave me one but said I'd be charged, I never got a bill for it or for my sticks/canes, so I got a bargain!! I remember Kim22 got quite a few bits of equipment but not sure if it was only on loan? It's amazing what your body can recover from and how quickly, I will hold you to that glass of vino but feel free to tug my sleeve anytime!! :)
 
Littlejem Red Shoe I know Kim22 had some stuff on loan. I got my own loo seat cos I felt a bit ikky about using someone elses. I know it would have been thoroughly cleaned but I just didn't fancy it.
What struck me about my hospital was they had no record keeping for crutches. So they don't know who has them on loan and if they returned them. It must cost a lot of money having to replace ones that are not returned. Surely they could have a system so they know who has them? That way they could send a reminder to get them back.
 
Red Shoe could you be a sweetheart and put your surgery date in your signature? (up at top of screen, see your screen name in bold, hover over it, see and click on "signature", and there's a field you can put anything you want in. Don't forget to "save changes" after you've written what you want!) Having that date makes it easier for us dummies-on-drugs to remember when you are LOL.
You've been hurting bad for a very long time-- you will not believe the difference after :) :) :)
 
Red Shoe I had a home visit by an OT about 2 weeks before my surgery and he ordered everything I needed to avoid breaking the 90 degree restrictions from the local Home Loans department.I ended up with 2 toilet raisers, a chair raiser,a mattress, a cushion and a perching stool.The equipment was all installed by the OTs .In fact Home Loans are coming in the morning to take it all away again so put the flags out ! The only things I had to buy was 2 grabbers and a sock aid.They will take the original walking sticks provided by the hospital and an inflatable boot I was issued with when I developed foot drop and a sore heel in the very early stage. I am keeping my palm grip sticks and a baths seat as I have only just got it.So all in all the NHS should provide most of the things that you will need but it does sound like I was particularly fortunate .Let us know if you have any further questions
 
zauberflöte I don't have an actual date yet apart from it will be mid August or last week in August.As soon as I get the letter then I will put it up :)
Littlejem@Elosarabrab I think I will get my own loo, can't believe I'm even going to be using one :shocked: I presume they will tell me what I need before the op ? My hip gave way big time tonight, made me cry with pain. I was in the kitchen just nattering and wham it went ! No warning or signs apart from the dull bone pain that's there all the time. It's feels dreadful since it happened, hurting me to turn or bend leg :boohoo:
 
Kim22 Gosh if the hospital can sort all those things it would be such a help. All I have at the moment is a booklet they gave me talking about what a hip replacement is x
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • EalingGran
    Staff member since January 23, 2024
  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom