THR New lease on life

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks Jo. Ok,Ok, I'll try and be patient and by the way I am a little slow on the uptake...it took me forever to "get" your sense of humor...
 
Hi Sis, just popped by to say hello...

Interesting - 'grasshopper' that is my nickname at home!

Hope you are still doing ok... xx
 
Hi Sis and all,

I am doing OK. After PT on Tues. I had a few little spasms of pain in my R groin. Called physical therapist on Wed. and we cancelled Thurs. PT. Today it felt a little worse so I called my OS and went in. I couldn't ignore it with the weekend coming. They x-rayed R hip and it looks beautiful OS said ( I had R replaced almost a year ago 28 Feb. 2011) and they think it is just a little inflammation from overdoing it in PT. Being the nervous nellie that I am I had myself thinking appendicitis, hernia, etc. Of course we can't rule out hernia but inflammation seems to fit since I did abduction exercises for the first time in along time on R side. OS wants me to stop PT and do my own stretching and walking and recumbant bike for now. I agree since PT keeps pushing me to do more and more each session and I do know they want me to get stronger but they don't always listen to me when I tell them it is too much and I do know my own body. So will proceed on my own for a while and get stronger without hurting myself I hope. Buying new sneakers tonight after reading all the posts about new shoes, mine are a little shot.
 
Hi Sis

So sorry about the PT pushing you and giving you a scare. I always remember Jo's comments very early in my reading on BS that walking is good for hips and they have a way of working out themselves.

You had such a good report from your OS and was feeling good, I think you instinctively know what is the right level of exercise for you hon..

Yes, it seems we are both shopping for new footwear.. Good luck with yours, take care xx
 
Hi Sis,

Yes, I do know what my body needs and thanks for the encouragement...we will all get there. No groin pain today at all after some extra pain meds yesterday and lots of rest... new sneakers will be purchased on line, not very fashionable but comfort is where it's at for this point in my life. Hope all is well with you and your feet are on the mend. Ya know, thank goodness for this forum...I have searched and looked on others and nothing comes even close to the support and wonderful people we have here...nitey nite!
 
Sleep tight Sis :sleep: :sleep: :sleep:

Catch up with tomorrow. So pleased you are feeling better with rest and some Meds xx
 
Diane, I will be starting outpatient PT this week and I am going to take with me what you said about knowing your body and knowing when something hurts. So sorry that your PTs aren't always honoring your feelings and accepting that sometimes you just have to listen to the patient, even if you think you know better. At the end of the day, you are the one living in your body so if you say it hurts, it hurts.

Stretching, walking, and recumbant biking sound more than good enough to me. There seem to be plenty of people worldwide who really didn't do formal PT post-op and they are getting around just fine.
 
Jen,

How funny is this, I just posted on your thread for the first time and then saw you posted on mine. Some times I read someone's for a long time without posting, don't know why but I'm glad you will take the information with you. I have found for the most part the PTs do want to push and I do understand their point of view, wanting to get you stronger, etc. but for me it is just too much. I'm from the slow but steady group and I just don't respond well to weights and strengthening too fast. Take care and hope it goes well for you. Tons of respect for you getting both done at once...hang in there.
 
Hi Sis,

Just checkin in with you. I so agree with you about the slow and steady... DaveGM was the first to remind me that my recovery is a marathon not a sprint.

I have stuck with the exercise at home, some pool work and walking and it seems to work well.. of course I can understand a PT's point of view to push, that is their job, but I do agree that you know yourself.

Take care and lots of love xx
 
Sis,

So good to hear from you and I hope you are getting better...are you back to work? I tried to take less pain meds at bedtime both last night and tonight again and realize I still need them, especially for the nerve issue. At least I am at a point where I can try some small changes and see how it goes without major setbacks but I still need to be very patient. At work they let me change my personal/family leave days to sick days which gives me 9 more days before I start unpaid leave. That will be OK as I know I am not ready to go back yet, not even close. Take care...Love and caring to you too.
 
Hi Sis

Just popped back on before I call it a night.

Thanks for asking after me :) yes, I am back at work, had a hiccup yesterday and had to stay off, feeling rather unwell, but had meetings to go to today... So off to work I went.

I am pleased that your are listening to your body and the need to keep with the pain Meds, you still need them and that is perfectly right for you, given what you have been through.

Also I am glad that work is looking after you regarding your leave situation, sounds like you have an understanding employer.

Nite nite, lots of love xxxx
 
Hi All,

14 weeks out...went with my mom for pedicures today, it was my first time out doing anything. Started out great, no problem driving and the pedicure was super, although felt a little weird on the area of numbness from nerve issues. Then went for lunch, but went only to the drive thru. So about 50 minutes in the car on the way home. Home about 1 hour and now my L knee feels like I twisted it some how.:sigh: Can't straighten it out all the way when standing without some pain and major resistance. HELP! Anyone else experience something like this? I did take pain meds, iced and elevated (boy we know the drill, don't we
:biggrin:) Anyways, other than that, have been feeling great, the nerve issue is still there, mostly numbness and once in a while the lightening like bolt of pain, but all is bearable. Now this knee thing :hissyfit: Take care everyone.
 
Wow sounds like you were having a wonderful day until the L knee started acting up.

IF you didnt do anything to your leg/knee then I would think its most likely still post op related. I know you said your taking pain meds, are you doing an anti inflammatory also??
 
Haldox,

Amazingly I fell asleep this afternoon and took a lovely nap and when I awoke, voila, the knee seems fine, no issues what so ever! Guess you are right and the pain meds, ice, etc. helped. And yes I am taking an anti inflammatory and it helps. I'm thinking I have only been using certain muscles the past 4 months and used some new ones or in a new way today so a little shout out from them.

I wish you and your husband all the best tomorrow with his surgery. I'll send up a prayer for you both tonight and snickers bars...the best!
 
Diane,

Ahhh, the power of a nap! Glad that it helped your knee settle down. Do you think you spent more time with it bent than usual (sitting in the car, sitting while getting the pedicure)? Nice to hear that you got out of the house and spent some time with your mom!! :)

Take care,
Cardie
 
Hello Diane,

Thank goodness your knee felt better after the nap! It sounded like you had a fabulous day. Pedicures are yummy!

xxooxx
 
Cardie, Yes my knee was bent a lot today, especially while driving. My left side has a foot rest and kept my leg at an angle that was different than usual and bent also quite a bit for the pedicure so that's probably the culprit. Thanks for caring.
Sarah, yes the pedicure was the "cure" today as I haven't been able to tend to my feet in the past 4 months, so feel like I have new baby feet...ahhhhh
Hoping you are both doing well, spring is coming...
 
Well, when I went to bed last night L knee was a bit tight but I slept really well and it is still tight this morning so it will be a day of rest for me as I am supposed to go out to lunch tomorrow with 2 friends from work and I don't want to miss that. I'm going to ice and elevate and take pain meds if needed today. Also call my OS as I am taking celebrex and it is bothering my tummy a little so maybe can switch to another anti inflammatory.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom