THR New lease on life

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey Sis....

Just logged on during my lunch break, so not a lot of time, but just wanted to let you know that I am thinking of you and to reassure you that you are bound to have twinges every now and then, I still do! But don't let it become fear, because it is all about our bodies healing at all the different layers.. From memory, I think there is a super doc in the library from Jo, about how long it takes for the healing... I have some additional info at home so will look it up and post to you.

Lots of love xx
Sandy
 
Thanks, Jo, I did reread a lot and read "5 P's of hip recovery" and that helped a lot (guess I had missed that post before).

Tashia, thanks for the input about getting in the car, I'm going to try it next time I drive and I was thinking about a burger because they have a drive-thru and I wouldn't have to get out of the car. Glad you are getting out and feeling better!

Sandy, thanks for the post. I know there will be twinges, I just let my mind get carried away and was thinking the worst. Pain meds and some sleep sure helped.

Thanks everyone, sometimes one just has to vent, now I'm back to going with the"flow" and it makes life a lot easier.
 
Hiya Sis, vent all you like.. Good for the soul (and sanity)..

Glad the sleep and Meds helped xxx Sandy
 
Hi Diane,

Ah, the energy drain -- good article. My PT used to refer to it as "yo-yo ing" and it sure does go on for a while... Try to rest when you feel that malaise feeling, your body will recharge some and you'll be back up again.

I returned to driving around the same time as you. While it was a slight relief to see that my op-leg could work the peddles, it was also a little daunting at the same time. When I drive I keep the seat heater on high which is quite therapeutic on my low back area -- do you have this feature on your car?

That is great to hear you are starting to use the cane some. If you still see the PT person have them take a look to make sure it is adjusted to the correct height for you. It does take a little while to get used to.

Have a nice day,
Cardie
 
Dianemarie,

I was diagnosed with Arthritis at age 13. I avoided all use of steroids but after the birth of my last son 5 yrs ago, I had a horrific attack that seemed to settle in my hips. Year after year, I was less mobile. I finally went to the Dr and said I was waving the white flag and to give me steroids..I couldn't take it anymore. I was shocked when I was told that I needed to see the surgeon. Even more shocked when he agreed I needed a L hip replacement. I did that in August 2011. I asked the OS--so how does the Right hip look? I truly, truly expected to hear not too bad because I thought all of what I was feeling was coming from my left hip. I was shocked when he said "It is as bad as the left but doesn't have the bone spurs."

We decided to try to see how I would do once the Left hip was done but I quickly realized how much the right was contributing to my sacral pain etc.

My nephew is an OS and he was quick to point out to me that you treat the patient.. not the xrays. Sometimes someone has a terrible xray and they do great.. others have xrays that look ok but they are in a lot of pain. He said you should never guage when a person should have the THR based on xrays but on how they are doing.

I decided to go ahead and get the right THR in Dec. I am 42. It made no sense to me to keep going forward with one hip that was doing GREAT but with the other hip that held me back. Yes the right hip wasn't as bad as the left was but I couldn't do near what I wanted to. I could now walk to the mailbox but not around the neighborhood etc.

5 weeks later.... I'm VERY happy I did the second hip. I understand the shock of realizing you need two surgeries but I'm of the opinion of do it sooner rather than later and enjoy two great hips!
 
Hi Cardie, so good to hear from you. I do not have the heated seats in my car (wish I did!) but today all the little aches and pains are resolved and I had a great PT session. Doing better with the cane, feeling stronger and more confident. It's amazing what a couple of days can do and how much better you can feel. And yes, the energy drain can still be immense even after 11 weeks. I'm going with the flow and taking things as they come now instead of trying to force or hurry this recovery. How are you doing?
Hi Rosieroo and welcome to bonesmart. I'm not sure you were able to read all of my posts because I did already have both replaced. The second on 11.15.11. Glad to hear you are doing well and keep us posted.
 
Diane, Glad to hear you are doing better today.

What I want to know is how Cardie can use her heated seats in this warm weather!?! Huh Cardie? :th_heehee: But Diane, I wanted to tell you that you can get a seat heater for your car off Amazon for about $20. I got one for my husband last year and I liked it so much that I bought one for myself this winter. Only problem is that winter seems to have skipped us this year and I haven't used it yet. Here's the Amazon link to the one I bought and have been unable to use. https://www.amazon.com/Wagan-IN9738-5-12-Volt-Heated-Cushion/dp/B0041RV1D8/?tag=ate362da-20 Oh look, It's only $15 now. Worth it even if it lasts only one year.
 
Thanks Karen, I will definitely check it out and get the seat heater. Maybe if we all buy them we won't have cold winters Ha!Ha! Hope you are doing OK. I live in upstate NY where we are used to really pretty severe winters so this is wonderful. 50 degrees today and tomorrow. Now took pain pills and ready for sleep.
 
Hi Diane,

Sounds like you are coming along nicely -- I, too, am going with the flow and trying not to push things. It was a lovely day today and I did need to have some outside time so I picked up trash and sticks around the yard -- and cleaned up from the dogs, blech... Nice to be able to reach the ground again!

Karen, you are right, we have had a mild winter -- thank goodness!! I do still use that seat heater when it's in the 40s or 50s, it's very soothing... Awesome to see you can get one as an accessory and plug it in to the lighter in the car - perfect.

Onward we go, I may be trying some neurontin or lyrica at some point in the future as I seem to be having some discomfort that I can't shake. Just did 10 days worth of Celebrex and it worked fantastically on my hip and back pain, but it didn't make my stomach very happy so now I am off it.

Take care,
Cardie
 
Hey Sis, so pleased that you can see improvement, how good is that! Keep it going... It seems amazing to me that all of a sudden one day the body seems to say 'ok, now the healing is underway, we can send out the 'feel better vibes'.. xxx Sandy
 
Hi All,

11 week update:


*saw my OS today and had x-rays and everything looks great (it is good to get this news that all is OK as it really boosted my confidence
*OS wants me to be cautious with transitioning to cane and use my walker for 2-3 more weeks to be sure everything is very stable (I totally agree!)
*OS agreed to 4 more weeks of at home PT since I am not driving quite yet
*so, keep doing what I am doing to build strength and endurance (slowly)
*some strength noted in foot and ankle after nerve issue (Yeah!)
I am happy with how appointment went and now I will be building strength, confidence, etc. so I can begin driving and thinking about returning to work at some point. He wants to see me again in 1 month and we will go from there.
Happy, Happy me!:dancy:




I am very happy with how my appointment went
 
Hi there Sis..... Just posting during my lunch break - Friday

What a great result from your OS, that is absolutely fantastic, I am so thrilled for you, after all that you have been through this is most certainly a confidence booster.

It is so good to get that reassurance from your OS. I am so thrilled for you xxxx
 
Hey Sis,

Thanks for your support! I also can start losing my hip precautions because 12 week point is Tuesday. OS said just to be careful still and not do anything too crazy and of course I won't. Less tired during the day now too. It's just all good at this point and I will take it. Got my coconut oil the other day and will start with small "doses" right off the spoon again. I remember it helped with my appetite before in a good way because it's time to drop a few pounds again. Take care.
 
Go coconut oil :) lol .... charlie thinks I have shares in the industry.

Great news about losing the restrictions... although I am a bit like you, I will continue to be cautious for quite a while.. So much deep healing to happen.

xxxxxxx
 
Cardie,

Hope you find something that will help with your discomfort. At least there are options on things to try.

I drove today for the second time. First time did not go well as I was shaky, nervous and hurt the whole next day. Today I was not anxious and went for a much longer drive and it was so fantastic. On my way home I blared the radio, sang along and even cried a little because I was so happy to be out of the house. It did my soul good to be out in the sunshine we had today. Just a tiny bit tired this afternoon. Tomorrow is my 12 week point and I am finally beginning to feel a little normal again. Oh this recovery is not a straight line but a twisted path but as long as we get there we will be OK. I'm really looking forward to more and longer outings. Also walking much better with the cane, but still short distances. Take care everyone.
 
Hi Diane,

That's exciting news on the driving ...congratulations. Love the part that you blasted out the music now you have extra freedom!

You are right about the recovery not being a straight line, taking everything into consideration though your tag line of having a new lease on life is really the best way to sum this all up, it's exciting :)

Wishing you all the best and lots of love!

xxooxx
 
Hey Sis. - you go girl!!

I am using my iPod at work a lot these days and finding the joy of music again... Great isn't that life is starting to return to semi normal for us Nov Nimbles xx
 
Yes, normalcy is nice. I have had a couple of good days, feeling better, stronger and more like myself. Cutting down on the pain meds at night and sleeping better. Just don't know about when I might return to work. When I think about it I really don't feel ready at all. If I am not back by March 1 will have to go on unpaid leave and that will be OK, I will just have to see how I am doing.

Jo, do I have enough posts to be a member now? Thanks.
 
Hi Sis

Yes, I know exactly where you are coming from regarding work!

The energy drain and getting a bit stiff and sore are the factors that really get to me.. There doesn't seem to be a simple answer, I ran out of personal leave and wanted to retain my annual leave for fun... Or the second THR, but I am starting to train my mind into thinking it would be better for me to wait for a year or so. The other hip is not painful at this stage... February next year would be perfect timing for me... But I am not really in charge of the master plan!

Lots of love xx
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom