THR New lease on life

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bea, Cardie and Tashia,

Thanks so much for all your caring and suggestions. Didn't sleep too much last night due to anxiety but did fall asleep at 3AM and slept until about 8:30AM, so 5.5 hours isn't too bad.

Had monthly appt. with OS today, X-ray looks great, he thinks I will be out of work at least another 6-8 weeks. And he suggested outpatient PT if I want to go. The furniture episode only caused some soft tissue issues and I took pain meds today and it is almost resolved. I will rest again tomorrow.

After appt. went out to lunch with a dear friend, sometimes that is the best medicine of all...

Cardie, what a superb idea, sometimes I can't think "out of the box" and you are so right about our "new normal". We do have so much to be thankful for, but I must admit having been through all of this sometimes a pity party feels good as long as it doesn't last too long.

Tashia, Yes, herbs are like medicine and you must be careful what you mix them with (meds). I'm hoping you get some helpful information in the class.

Hopefully we'll all sleep well tonight! Best wishes to all.
 
Hey Surgical Sis.. :)

I haven't read your last few posts, but just wanted to pop by and send you big, big hugs and lots of love xxxx

I will read more over the weekend :thumb:
 
dianemarie, Have to agree with you about being with friends. Best medicine in the world. And i agree we have to be careful about felling sorry about ourselves but I think that when we have such a major operation our norm that we had is no more. And most important we change because of what we went thru and its important to realize we are now no only our body is so difference but so is us in general and so we have to find balance again in our new life we now live. One of the biggest changes in life is we can not longer to thru airport security without everybody notice that we set the machine off and its not because we forgot to take the coins out of our pockets. :th_heehee: Glad nothing got really hurt but do take care. Very busy day with sewing room stuff, talk about pacing my self. Good to hear from you and i really hope you have a very good sleep tonight. :sleep: :sleep::sleep::doggieshmooze:Tashia:friends:
 
Hi Surgical Sis :):):)

Happy happy anniversary.... what a great milestone, well done honey.

Sorry you hurt yourself a little - yes we do have new norms to consider now. My OS said think about how you go about your life because it is different now.

Be aware, but not afraid he said... good advice I think.

lovely to be back with you all :)

We are having incredible floods, it has been raining torrentially for days. Lots of parts of the country is in flood and there are evacuations happening everywhere..

Do take care Sis, chat soon.

Lots of love and big, big hugs xxxxx
 
Just came over to drop by to see how you are doing. Hope your injury is doing much better. I also need a day of rest, because I overdid it yesterday. Wasn't it great to hear from Sandy, The weather really seems to be busy all over the world. Hope everyone is ok. I know I live in California and we do have earth quake, However I where I live i never have felt one. Hope everyone is safe. And for those you have been touch by Mother Nature, Know that you are loved and in many prayes. :doggieshmooze:tashia:friends:
 
Happy Sunday Dianemarie,

Glad the OS visit went well. Yes to friends very good for the soul.

Naughty...Naughty moving furniture! One other idea grab those moving pads, they are like little plastic saucers and are so easy to slide under and make moving furniture very very easy! I have a very heavy TV center and impossible to move alone, even the movers in the past struggle. Those slidey things make it possible to move on carpet!

Hope your weekend is going really well!

xxooxx
 
Hi Dianemarie
I hope you are feeling better again by now. Overdoing things is so easy to do. Just be careful and take care of your new hip.
Have a great rest of your weekend. I think the sun is supposed to come out here.
Take care
Bea
 
Thanks everyone. My soft tissue injury resolved after 2 days of rest. At least I now know that if I push it a tiny bit I will be OK. Hopefully no more making myself crazy, I need to just be gentle with myself. Having a nice, quiet weekend. Nice nap this afternoon. And thinking I will get some of those things you can put under the furniture since I enjoy rearranging so much!
 
Hi Dianemarie,

That's great news you feel better! Maybe moving furniture in the summer would be good not right now :). Love those afternoon naps the BEST!

Have a lovely week!

xxooxx
 
I hope you are feeling better and you aren't sore. we do dum things without thinking don't we?Take care and remember each day we are closer to full recover. :doggieshmooze:Tashia:friends:
 
I'm glad you are feeling better after bumming things up a little (temporarily). It really IS just so easy to over do things a bit here and there. I know I'm guilty of that ...

I heard a story yesterday about a guy that makes any overdoing that we do seem like nothing! This guy insisted on walking outside to get something out of his backyard shed shortly after he returned home after surgery, despite his family wanting to do it for him--I guess HE was the only one who knew the item he wanted or something macho like that. There was a lot of snow on the ground and he was walking through it with his walker, hit some plastic sheeting that was hidden under the snow and fell--he dislocated the hip and had to get that repaired. Yikes!!!

Same guy, same hip recovery--he later sat down on a computer desk chair with wheels and the chair slipped out and he fell hard. He didn't do any major damage, but after that his family practically tied him to his recliner so he wouldn't do anything more to the hip.

I've seen him out in the community here and there and prior to this conversation just the other day, I didn't know he had had a hip replacement. His gait is normal and he doesn't appear to have any problems moving around ... so I guess if he made it through to normal again, any of us can, even with our little bit of overdoing! But, let's keep it little! :-)

We're all going to get through this and be so much better than before!!!

Dorothy
 
Yes, Sarah, I won't be moving furniture for a long time but I will continue the naps! lol

Yes, Tashia, I called what I did stupid and I don't even like to use that word but what I did really was. Thanks for the encouragement.

Hi Dorothy (that was my gramma's name),

Thanks for sharing the story, gives us all hope for complete recoveries. Already feel so much better than before.

Update: I am sleeping well, pretty much through the night now...Yeah!
Going to start outpatient PT this week to see if I can get some strength back (nothing crazy, just get moving properly)
Very little to no pain at all.
Nerve issues still there but so much better.

So, all in all, I have to say how happy I am with my new hips. Couldn't have done it without all the support I get here on BS, thanks everyone!
 
Dianemarie, happy belated anniversary to your right hip :flowerysmile:
Glad to hear that your injury healed quickly AND that you got a good report from your surgeon. I second Sarah's suggestion of getting those furniture sliders for the future. They are very inexpensive but extremely helpful.

Good luck with PT! Have you already found a facility?
 
Glad things are feeling better. Sleeping through the night-great accomplishment:dancy:

Good luck with PT!!Let us know how it goes.
 
Yes, I am getting those furniture sliders for the future.

I have a call in to a place for PT. The nurse in my OS's office said it would be a good idea to call places and be sure they offer what I want, which is to get moving properly, building strength but not hurting myself. The place comes recommended by someone I know so hoping it will work out and I can get strong enough to return to work soon.
 
Hi Diane......I always want to write Dianemarie sorry!

You wait thePT is great. I went today I think it's my 3rd week and I'm only doing twice a week. Wow the difference in my walk, confidence is beyond brilliant. Today I felt super strong....hang on did I whine a little YES of course, I giggle with my guy and we both agreed my confidence level has quadrupled since going to him!

Enjoy your session! Don't over do it and all will be great...and hey it's rare for me to be happy about any type of exercise program hehehe!

Those furniture slides are little miracle things, plus very easy to slide under the legs, my friend had raved about them for years and I never listened duh! Now I have would never live without.

xxooxx
 
Went to the bank yesterday and then out to lunch and did great. Used my cane all day. Today went to the grocery store for the first time. Used the cart as a "walker" but still and all everything is oriented different. It was a bit overwhelming and I only did a small portion of the store, asked for help with loading groceries and was a little sore (hip and leg) and very tired when I got home. Rested and now seem OK. Amazing even after a long time how those "firsts" can be a challenge. But should get easier each time and that is the good news.

65 degrees here this afternoon...Yeah! and I think a nice nap is in order.
 
Diane -
Sounds like you are doing great. Keep up the good work. A beautiful day her - crowding 60 right now. I still need to use my walker - but I go outside a just breath in fresh air. It feels great to feel the wind on my face.
 
Hi Diane,

Sounds like you're well on your way... I also use the cart as a walker and when I'm getting crowded as a battering ram. I never forget to say "sorry" as I run people over and their expressions always changes from anger to something approaching pity when they see my crutch on top of the cart!:th_heehee:
Keep on truckin' babe!

Charlie x
 
dianemarie, good for you to go shopping. Have you thought of using the driving cart. It is a blast. go girl go. Take care and remember each day you are closer to full recovery. :doggieshmooze:tashia:loll:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom