THR New lease on life

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks everyone,

Yes, this morning I woke up after sleeping 6.5 hours straight and no pain. I decided to make today a rest day and have not needed any medication at all and am feeling great. It was hard to slow down, I love to be out ramming the roads but will take it easy the rest of the week. Cardie, yes they think my nerve damage was from the peroneal nerve (could be from the back also sciatic) and I have numbness from my knee to my foot, especially over the top of my ankle. It's always worse at night and the pain sensations are less now so that is good. I am going to have my knee x-rayed Friday to know for sure if it arthritis or meniscus problems. Will keep updating.
 
Cardie,

Forgot to add, my chiro does use the activator and I see him tomorrow, yeah!
 
I'll keep my fingers crossed for your knee x-ray on Friday & hope the chiropractor helps when you see him tomorrow. Glad you got some good sleep and felt better today... onward you go!! :thumb:

Take care,
Cardie
 
Great to hear you managed a good nights sleep Diane and managed without medication. Here's hoping things are looking up. Best of luck with the xray....will you get the results straight away?

Take care

Ann
 
Hi All,

Went to appt. at OS today and they x-rayed L knee and R ankle. Knee has mild-moderate arthritis under the kneecap and on the inside. R ankle has severe arthritis ( I was in car accident 30+ years ago and had surgery to repair a severe break, fixed with screw and a year later surgery to remove the hardware). He referred me to the foot/ankle doc in their practice and I see him June 7 to discuss options. I don't want any more surgery so will see what he can recommend for me. Knee should be OK-it responds to ice and anti-inflammatory if it gets bad. Last time at OS x-rayed lumbar region of back and arthritis there too. Coming to terms to having this disease. Feeling a little down, even though nothing they said surprised me. Getting sick of dr. visits. After the 7th think I will take Cardie's advice and take a break from it all, even a short one will help. I'm also thinking water PT instead of land, it is too pounding on my ankles and other joints. Hope everyone has a wonderful weekend. Beautiful warm weather here in the northeast. High 80's Sat and Sun.
 
Hi Sis

Mr Arthur Ritis... is a very difficult individual, especially when he moves in and takes up residence In all of our different joints..


I read back through some of your posts I have missed this week, I was pleased to read that you have had some nights of sleep and without medications.. That is so good..

But I was very sad to read that 'Arthur Ritis' is now messing with your knee and right ankle.. I am sad for you... You have been through enough that is for sure with the nerve damage...

Good idea about thinking about pool PT, I wrote on one of my posts about an eBook written by an OS called Robert Klapper and Linday Huey both very well known for their work with joint replacement rehab patients in the pool. One of our members from last year mentioned it in passing and I found the water exercises to be fantastic and so easy to follow with full explanations and pictures.. Google both authors, I think they have a number of books published on the topic of pool PT..

I am sad that you are sad today... But am sending you big, big hugs and much love xxxxxxxxx
 
Hi Sis

Had to go searching for you... Just sending big hugs and lots of love xx
 
Diane,I'm so sorry to hear you are having problems with other joints and your back. Gosh, you've been through so much already. I hope you can find a way to deal with it without more surgery, as you would like to avoid doing.

We have had some great weather, huh?!

Take care,

Dorothy
 
Thanks Sis and Dorothy,

My ankle has been acting up because of PT, now I have rested it a few days and it is so much better. Going to PT today to see if we can modify things and still continue to get the hip strong without hurting ankle. I will go to OS appt. for ankle June 7 but only looking for how I can manage it, can't face even talking about surgery right now. Hope he is good and will listen and understand. Everything else is OK. Still using (needing) cane and need to drop some more weight. Retirement is awesome. Will post more later.
 
Diane,
I totally understand how you feel about enough is enough with the surgeries. Hopefully, they can come up with a program that will strengthen the hip without tweaking the ankle (aqua?). Has your arthritis been diagnosed as RA or OA? Thinking of you!
Dee
 
Hey there, so sorry you are having additional issues. This disease can really work its way around. I'm sorry for you and can easily understand how it could get you down. When I started my outside PT I did 3 x a week in the water and it is soooooo nice. Then we moved to a combo of some days land, some days water. Now at 11 wks I have transitioned to land, but I really loved the water. You can accomplish things with less stress. Sounds like a good idea for you.

Sending positive thoughts your way, Cathy
 
Dee and Cathy,

Thanks for the caring...looks like I will try some pool PT soon. Today went to land PT and my PT (who is an angel) found ways to work on strengthening hip without weight bearing and I had an excellent session with no problems. I was diagnosed with OA. Have been using tylenol x-strength with good results as I hate to take any meds unless absolutely necessary. Nice naps in the afternoon everyday, really helps. Each day I'm thankful for what I can do.
 
Diane, Sometime we just need a break from doctor visit and just sit back and enjoy life. I do know you have a lot going on and maybe just taking a deep breath and say all is well would be a good ide. i got to the point where i didn't want to talk about anything wrong, might be wrong etc. I do think you can hit a overlead. I can only speek for myself. But life is too short to talk about whats wrong and not the positive things in life. I do hope you can enjoy your day of doing nothing and just enjoy a day in the pool just enjoying floating and enjoying the freedom of just floating. Take care and stay safe. :doggieshmooze:Tashia:friends:
 
Diane, I'm visiting your thread since you visited mine. I wanted to mention that the "horse walk" exercise that I talked about in Anniepops thread is a great one to try in the pool. Just go as deep as you need to. You can even go in the deep water, where you can't touch bottom, and do that motion or pedal your feet like on a bicycle.
 
Alex,

Thanks so much for the tips. I will try that out when I begin my pool PT. There are a lot of things I can't do but I want to begin to focus on what I can do and get the hip stronger. I still have a limp due to weakness in the L hip and want to strengthen it so I can walk unaided. It seems to be taking a long time because the nerve damage has kept it from getting strong as quick as it might had I not had that problem.
You are very encouraging to everyone and it is appreciated.
Tash,
thanks for the kind words. I am ready for a break from dr. for a while. I do feel on overload and will definitely float once I get in the pool. Thanks for always being there.
 
Hi All,

Went to appt. at OS today and they x-rayed L knee and R ankle. Knee has mild-moderate arthritis under the kneecap and on the inside. nothing they said surprised me. .

Hi Diane

Do you remember how they took you knee Xray. I am having knee issues and my last XRay (before the real issues showed up were taken when I was standing.) Not sure if this is standard practice.

Hope you are doing a tiny bit better. (I have decided that I am going to get better in tiny increments :ideaIPB: so it's not so far to fall in the set back.) :th_heehee:

Take care :ATT637464:
 
Glad you had a good PT session. I think you will love the pool once you get there. I hear you on trying to focus on the half full glass instead of the half empty one, though sometimes it's hard when we are feeling down. Sounds like you are on the road to some good healing :) Cathy
 
Carol,

They took 3 pics of my knee. 1st one I was lying back and they had my knee bent over the edge of the table...they said that view would show my knee cap and the other 2 were standing. Love the idea of tiny increments...I'm going to try that!
Cathy,
I'm a natural pessimist but always try to be the optimist, most days go well, but every once in a while I guess we all feel down. I've noticed you often send healing thoughts to others and that you once were a massage therapist. Wondered if you ever practiced or taught reiki? I love the subtle energy of reiki and the last 2 massage therapists I had used it. Thinking I could use a session now...thanks for your caring posts.
 
Hi Diane,

Just wondering if you've ever considered taking a glucosamine, chondroitin, MSM supplement for the OA? As with many types of supplements there are those that favor it and those that do not, so your mileage may vary... I have taken it for a number of years prior to surgery and found it helpful. I began taking it again for my knee issue a few months after surgery.

Take care,
Cardie
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom