THR New lease on life

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh Sarah,

Soooo good to hear from you, sooooo happy to hear of your wonderful update and major congrats on the weight loss...WOW, you are a new woman. And teaser news, can't wait to hear. You're an inspiration for sure. And naughty little Miles, how cute...Keep us posted when you can. Hugs and love to you.
 
DallasSarah,.Good to hear from you and show us we can return to normal life.Diane keep up the good work. and Sandy Hang in there. :doggieshmooze:Tashia:friends:
 
Hey there Sis, I had to go hunting for you.... how is the big 'R' word going? I can't wait to hear what you have been getting up to ??

112.857 weeks for us!!! not counting of course. :hysterical:

Sending lots of love and big big hugs :friends:
 
Diane, I see you are on line. Just drop by to say Hi. Enjoy having a good weekend. Oh I just thought of something. All days are weekends. You are retired now and so Monday is just another day. Isn't that great? well that all for now. Take care. :doggieshmooze:Tashia:friends:
 
Hi all,

Thanks for the posts. I haven't given an update in a while so will now.

PT going well as far as strengthening the hip. We have had to modify a lot to not tweak other joints. She would like me to wait on water PT but I'm still considering it. Knee and ankle have both calmed down since we modified. I see ankle/foot doc thursday to see what he might recommend for ankle (other than surgery!)
Still use cane but feel stronger and keep it lifted for a longer time with each stride. Some minor aches and pains from time to time but nothing major. Lost a couple pounds this week and that helps. The nerve damage continues to resolve and that is the best news of all. Talk about patience!
This continues to be the slowest recovery but that is OK...going with it most of the time.
Retirement is awesome...I don't have a boss any more! and I got my 1st retirement pay Thursday and that made it feel very real and official. Still getting used to the idea.
 
Diane, That is so great. You are now on your own. It is nice not to have person to tell you, You have to have this done by tonight. Keep on losing that weight. Your joints will love you for it. Keep up the good work. :doggieshmooze:tahis:friends:
 
Hi Sis

What a great update, so pleased you are enjoying retirement and that physically uou are feeling better - good news.

xxxxx
 
I've been retired since August of 2008---and I'm still loving it! Gives me lots of time here on the forum.

For you it means that you can take all the time you need to heal and get your body back in shape without the undue stress of "going back to work". So happy things continue to improve---

Take care, keep us posted, we care.
 
Diane,

Glad to hear the PT is going so well!! So happy for you that you are loving retirement!! I'm a little jealous, can't even think about number of weeks since I have about 18 years to go.......but very happy for you!
Dee
 
Hi Sis, Judy & Dee... My countdown = 410 actual working days left to go... 780 calendar days, 111.429 weeks... but whose counting....
 
Hi All,

Sis, good to hear from you and that your retirement countdown is coming along and it will!
Dee, Even though it seems long it will be here before you know it, you know how fast the school years go. Hope you are still healing well so you can enjoy the summer.
Judy, Hello to you. And yes, without the stress of work I can really feel the healing, even though it is a slow one.
Today I saw the ankle doc. at orthopedic office. My R ankle was fractured in a car accident over 30 yrs. ago and is now filled with arthritis and "basically shot" as he says. I'm not in any pain somedays so will wait and there are avenues to go before surgery (probably a bone fusion vs. ankle replacement) like cortisone shots, wearing a brace, etc. So he doesn't know how long, may be months or years, I'm shooting for years. So weight loss will help and will only help my new hips also so will be on the healthy eating path. Take care everyone.
 
Hi Sis

Sorry to hear about your right ankle... I will be praying for years for you too.

When arthritis starts, there seems no way of stopping its rampage through our bodies... Oh Mr Arthur Ritis.. How I wish you would leave!

I miss you Sis, but I guess you are enjoying the stress free life of retirement and for that I am very grateful and happy for you xxx
 
Yesterday at PT two of the exercises were actually easy! Finally! So of course she moved me to a new level for them. But I was very encouraged for the first time in a long time.

Put my walker in the closet, good feeling. It's there if I need it but haven't needed it for weeks now. Cane is still my best friend.

All movements and sleeping on L side, etc. are coming more natural now.

Thinking about trip to my daughter's home.
Will be wonderful when I can. She has lots of stairs but I am feeling like maybe I can. Drive is about 2.5 hours and I can make lots of stops if needed. So...sometime this summer.

Overall, life is good.
 
Wehey, what a great post Diane, I'm so happy to hear things are looking up for you, I bet it was good to stick that walker in the cupboard and forget about it

It's great to have something to look forward to, I'm sure you will have a fab time with your daughter and be able to manage those stairs, you can have a little rest halfway up and if you are feeling much better now youwill surely be feeling even better by the summer.

Your post gives hope to others who feel they are stuck at one point with no hope of moving forward, it does come eventually

Take care

Ann
 
Hiya Sis, great news... Long may the walker live hidden in the closet!... I just love to hear that from you.

And, retirement is definitely agreeing with you... That is fantastic. It will be lovely to go see your family. When does your summer officially start?

Glad the PT is working also, great news, you have made my day xxxx
 
Whoooo Hooooo!!! Walker's in the closet :dancy::dancy:(mine is under the bed...)

:thumb:Great report Diane!!! Are you back on the glucosamine? Maybe that can help keep your ankle in check for a while longer.

I hope you get over to see your daughter soon & you just take it nice and easy on the stairs. :yes 4:

Take care,
Cardie
 
Ann,
Yes it felt like another milestone to pack away the walker. The further I get into recovery, the slower it goes but that is OK as long as we are continuing to make progress.
Sandy, Summer solstice is June 20 so summer officially begins the 21st! yeah. The warm sun sure feels good.
Cardie,
Not taking the glucosamine yet, I still need to get some. I will go whatever I can to keep this ankle at bay. Just realized the other day that since my L THR I always have most of my weight on R leg, ankle and foot so have been making an effort to shift and equalize the weight and that has helped already. PT is wonderful about finding ways to strengthen hip without tweaking ankle. Glad to hear your rolfing is making a difference. I'm relying mostly on chiro right now as my insurance covers it and budget is very different in retirement so must be careful about spending too much on alternative therapies right now and I want to maintain the supplements I take as they really help also.
 
Leaving the walker behind must feel like such a huge accomplishment!!! I remember that transition feeling great! I'm so glad you are progressing along. Nerves to take a long time to heal. You have been very patient.

Dorothy
 
Hey there, catching up in you after a couple wks off forum. Hooray on the walker in the closet :thumb: that sure is a good feeling. Sure has been a long haul for you! And now the darn ankle. Good you have solid facts about it and know what your options are. I vote for "years" before you need to do anything.

As with all of our joints weight loss can help so much. Just wish my brain would get it :snork: Seems it has a different plan, but I keep trying. It is something like 3lbs of pressure for every lb of weight. I sure could take some pressure off.

For the record, I loved the water PT. I started out in water, then land/water, and now all land. It was so much less stress on other parts of my body, but I do think more progress is made on land, for me anyways. I am actually thinking of joining the y. They have a heated therapy pool and it might be a nice addition to my "healing repertoire". We'll see, there is only time for so much.

I do think you are right in that progress is slower as time goes on. It is still there, just not the leaps and bounds it was before, but hey, the walker is in the closet now right :wink1: that is progress. Keep the faith, Cathy
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom