THR New lease on life

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hiya Sis, sorry I have missed you tonight Sunday 9:15 pm here... Have to go to sleeps now, hope to chat during the week...

By the way, the big big moon is tracking right over the top of our house and shining through a roof window. We have turned all the lights out and it is just beautiful.. Gosh life is good :)

Nite honey xxxx
 
Hi all,

Been doing OK. Filling out a lot of paperwork for retirement. If all goes well I should have my 1st check at the end of this month...yeah!
PT going very well, this week we have had a lot of rain and damp weather and I had an arthritic "flare" which has not been fun, but resting, taking pain meds and gentle exercise is helping. My PT told me to measure my recovery from the time of my "set back", not the time of my surgery and that has helped my mind also. That would put me at about 4 months out. Maybe a little mind game but it works. Back and SI joint doing much better, chiropractor helps. Recovery has slowed down and is not as quick and dramatic as it is in the early weeks. I now "measure" every couple of weeks to look for progress, especially with the nerve damage. That has slowed to turtle pace but as long as I go forward that is what counts. Back to taking naps in the afternoon and they are splendid. A lot of emotional stuff regarding retirement as I really have to since physically I can't do the job any longer, but just looking forward to what I am able to do and know that things will improve.
 
Hi Sis

Had to jump over and visit with you.

Being down at our retirement house, albeit, still very much a construction site and reading about you filling out your paperwork for retirement has made me take pause and be still in this crazy world of rush, rush, rush and ponder what it must feel like taking that leap into the next phase of life.....

A real mixed bag of emotions, I can imagine Sis... ((I will email you).

I am pleased that the PT and Chiropractor is helping, that is so good. I think your strategy about mapping your recovery to a different timeframe and milestone as a starting point is also a wonderful coping mechanism.. (I use this method for survival constantly).

Sending much love and affection your way Di  xx
 
:friends:dianemarie, I do know lots of feeling are coming but just think no more stress. It is normal to have mixed feeling because you are starting a new life and a better one. As we go thru life we change and so do our paths. I know you will do fine. Maybe get together with your teacher friends so you can say good-by, that might help. Please take care and stay safe. Glad to hear you are getting better. :doggieshmooze:Tashia
 
Hi Diane,

It is a series of peaks and valleys sometimes, isn't it... :flowerysmile:

Enjoy your naps & your chiropractor visits!! I hope the progress continues as well, sometimes when you free yourself from the periodic "measuring" of things and then come back to it a month or two later, Ta Da, there is a little surprise in seeing a bit of improvement. :thumb:

Take care,
Cardie
 
Hi there,
I think there is an emotional component to everything. Even though many people crave retirement, in reality, there is still a loss involved. We spend so much of our time at work that not having that, leaves a whole to fill. I have not worked for the past year, with our move to Vermont and then my hip stuff. It has left a real hole for me, though there are parts of not working I absolutely love. Of course I am also in a new place without my "peeps" and that makes a difference.

Sounds like good progress with chiropractor etc. good for you on that. Hope you have a good wknd -Cathy
 
I agree with Cathy--even good changes can be stressful and difficult.

I also like what your PT said about measuring your recovery more from the time you had the setback, rather than the surgery date. You have a lot more going on with the nerve injury than people recovering who didn't have that happen. Hang in there and keep plugging along :-)

Dorothy
 
Hi Diane

Good to hear you are making progress even if it s at turtle pace, you will get there in the end I'm sure and with your retirement you can really concentrate on getting better with no work pressures. Hope all goes well with the retirement plans.

The afternoon naps are splendid aren't they, I'm going to continue taking mine until I absolutely don't have to:biggrin:.....it's especially nice for me at the mo as the weather here is just awful and there's nothing better than being tucked up in bed of an afternoon when the rain is splattering against the window.

Take care Diane

Ann.x.
 
Oh yes, afternoon naps... Having one right now... Well not the napping bit, but snuggled up in bed... Jolly cold here today..

Hiya Sis, I can see you are online xxxx
 
Diane, I just dropped by to say, " I hope you have a good weekend". I talked to my brother in law who lives in New York and told me about all the rain. ug. I was going to see him this summer but with the surgrey it was called off. Remember you have the control on what stresses you have now. Well I feel a :sleep: coming on so I will talk to you later. :doggieshmooze:Tashia:friends:
 
Hi Sis, just popped by to say yellow before I log off... About to lose my signal. We are on the road coming home. Sending hugs xx
 
Diane, Happy Mother Day, Do take easy today and enjoy the special day.:doggieshmooze:Tashia:friends:
 
Hi Diane, just dropping by for a bit and seeing how you are doing. Have a happy Mother's Day.
I understand your mixed emotions about retiring. I just retired April 1st after 54 years working. It is a big change, but a good one. There is another life out there.
Have a wonderful day.
Bea
 
Hi everyone,

Thanks for the encouraging posts. Retirement is emotional...even though very positive change it still is change and that is always difficult as I am hyper sensitive anyways.

Last week I had a really bad day of swelling, pain, and difficulty walking. PT thinks it might have been an arthritic flare. Today I woke up feeling great and 2 hours later had pretty significant pain in L knee. Hard to walk and can't straighten knee out. Went to PT, tried treadmill slowly but could not do it. PT put heat on knee and massaged it, only made it worse. Now took pain pill, elevating, icing, will take anti-inflammatory when due. Feel totally defeated. The only thing I did different was sleep for a long time on my L side last night and maybe it was too much for that knee as that is where the nerve issue probably is. Will stay on my back tonight and rest tomorrow. Take care everyone.
 
So sorry Diane. I know how quickly that defeated feeling can bring one down. Hope this is just a bump in the road and you get over it quiclkly.
Cathy
 
Hi Diane

I see that you have been having your issues , too. You are a week after me so I can appreciate where you are coming from. I figure that there should be some kind a Oh! moment. As Oh I'm feeling so much better. But that is not the case.

Hang in there...I'm pulling for you!!! :console:
 
Diane, I hope that you are better now. Recover as you know is ups and down, its like life good times, challenging times. Do take care and be safe. :doggieshmooze:Tashia:friends: I find some times that its hard to see it myself. You are doing great.
 
Good Morning :) I hope today is a better day for you. You mentioned overreacting when you bopped over to my page. You are not alone my dear. It is SO EASY to be going along, at whatever pace, and then some new pain happens or some other glitch in the healing and it all comes crashing down. Besides the physical journey of all this, the emotional component is really pretty darn big. Sometimes I feel like I am going through menopause all over again :rolleyespink: the way my moods go up and down along with my body stuff. Hang in there -Cathy
 
Cathy, I have never heard that before. You mean I have to go thru menopause again.:hairpulling: Now I have heard of everything.:th_heehee: But I do think you have a very good point. :hysterical::doggieshmooze:Tashia:friends:
 
Hi Diane,

Are you feeling any better today??? I hope that your knee has settled down and that some of those things that you tried were helpful. My PT referred to the ups and downs of recovery as "Yo-yo ing" and told me that it was a normal part of recovering from something like a THR surgery. Even 10 months out I will still periodically have a big dip when something aches or twinges or my brain just goes to the dark side... and then a few days later be feeling better again.

When you mention that your L knee is where your nerve issue is -- does that mean that is where you have some of the pain/numbness?

Lastly, does your chiropractor use an activator at all? Sometimes when I have knee stuff mine will do micro-adjustments with the activator on my knee if it seems out of alignment. The tool looks like this -- broken link removed: https://cottagegrovechiro.com/clients/3632/images/activator.JPG

Hope today is a better one,:flowerysmile:
Cardie
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom