Guest viewing is limited

THR New lease on life

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am sorry you are having issues, and would also suggest, if you are limping to use the cane. Before my surgery I was going to the chropractor all the time tand my back was killing me. Once I started using the cane, my visits it chiro got less and less. I am wondering if the leg length thing adds to the limping. I know it does for me. I am waiting for my follow to ask doc about putting something in my shoe. The imbalance right now prevents me from walking without the cane.

Also was told that it depends how weak things were before surgery and we are all different there. as I read others postings I worry I am behind, then i tell myself i just have to trust my body for the info i need. If we could not compare ourselves and not get too frustrated, I bet our bodies give us enough clues, if we could just fully listen to them. Our mind takes over and we ignore what our bodies tell us and then we overdue things. I think people's suggestions of backing off a bit is good. Perhaps a little more rest will move you forward. Good luck -Cathy.
 
Hi Sis, Sarah and Tash, this is just as crazy as Christmas lately with all the talk of food....

We hippies love our food . Heheheheheh!

p.s. The chocolate mouse was delicious..

But have to exercise today!! If you know what I mean :)
 
Thanks Cathy and Sandy for the encouragement and support. This hip is taking longer and every once in a while it gets to me...but overall I am doing well and will continue using the cane as long as I need too. And like you, Sandy, I still use walker at night or if I am really tired or achy (like tonight). I'll do something new and then realize...oh yeah I am not healed yet...so we continue on.
 
Diane, Sorry to hear about the hip. It is a good idea to use the walker when you are hurting. Maybe I need to use mine so I won't hurt.mmmm. Healing is going on, the problem we can't see it. You have come so far, please don't feel like you have to be a certain place in recover. As you know the body is working on healing, we need to accept where we are. That is very hard for me to. Good to hear from you. Enjoy the rest of the special weekend with your family. Take care my friend. :doggieshmooze:Tashia:friends:
 
Hi Diane,

I think you are doing pretty well and I often have to look at your sig. line to remind myself that you are only four going on five months out from your second new hip!!! :thumb:

I found it helpful around that timeframe to keep a little log of what was going on for me in my recovery. In it I listed things like what activities or PT exercises I did that day, a mention of any problems (i.e. pain in groin, sore back, walking gimpy) and if I was taking any meds I'd list that as well.

Maybe this would be helpful for you to also mark the progress that you are making as you work your way thru this first year.

Take care,
Cardie
 
Oh, Cardie, thanks so much for the reminder...it feels like years that I have been recovering from my 2nd. The 1st went so well...you are right I am only 20 weeks out...guess I am expecting too much. I sometimes need to regroup and your reminder helped so much. THANK YOU! I will keep the journal as that will give me something concrete to look at and see my progress. You know the saying "can't see the forest for the trees" Hoping you are well.
 
Okay, need to vent a little. Am almost 21 weeks out from 2nd THR. I am feeling very discouraged today. Yesterday while putting my new registration sticker in my car I twisted a little to get the paper towels and window cleaner. Last night felt some pain in L hip area so took .5 hydrocodone and slept fine. This morning got up and felt OK only to have the pain return after being up a little while. Took .5 hydro, anti-inflammatory and used some essential oils. It feels like the hip area (not deep though) and some areas of my glutes. I feel like crying, like this will go on forever, when friends call I have nothing to talk about because every day seems the same...get up, go to PT, come home and wait to heal but nothing seems to change...it is so slow. I feel well mentally and I want to do so much (or anything at all) and I am not there yet. I can do one thing a day and that is all...go to one store, go to PT, go out to lunch, but doing more than 1 thing a day is just too much for me right now. This has been OK but it is getting old as I have been recovering from the 2 surgeries since last Feb. and only had a short time of full activity before my 2nd hip needed to be done. I am seeing a counselor but I still get scared that I might need a revision or that I won't be able to get back to work in Sept., etc. etc. (I'm a person who has to work at being positive) So, today I am having a pity party and I know that but I would appreciate any words of encouragement...thanks for listening
 
Hello Dianemarie

I just read your thread and I am so pleased that I took the time. Not only does it give me a chance to follow your recovery but it gives me encouragement for my own.

What you gave to me: :yes 4:

I see that you suffer from SI joint issues. I will keep you in the loop if I have any luck with anything other than what you are doing. Seeing that you had luck with your chiro I also have hope that I can get the same positive results with mine (Monday.)


I was to start using my cane last week but it did not work (much pain and increased limp after two days) so I am back to the walker full time. But seeing your progress means that everything comes with time. I just need to allow for the time.

What I hope I can give to you today: :console:

Sometimes I get poor me and I forget where I was 4 months ago.


I get discouraged (I am a fatalist so if anything can go wrong...you know the rest) and I hate that the littlest thing will set off two days of where in the heck did this pain come from.

I have been seeing a counsellor with terrific results because I think that a lot of what is going on is fear that we will not return to a normal life and that is darn unsettling. :arghh:She has helped to to get through some of the fear and I hope that you will be feeling emotionally stronger soon as that is so important to our overall getting through this hip business.

Poor me days do serve their purpose (according to my counsellor). They help us to care for ourselves. I know that sounds funny but the poor me feelings are fear and if we can just be gentle with ourselves and reassure that little girl inside of us that needs to know that inspite of it all everything will be OK. We physically hugs ourselves just like we would a scared child and say everything is going to be OK. I am here to protect you and I wll make sure that you will be OK. It sound woo-hoo (new age nutty) but I find it works for me to let my inner child know this is OK. I feel better and sometimes that is all we need to get through the day...that little step up.

Our recovery is a one day at a time and no matter what we want to do time is just what it is. And no matter what we may think we are not gods and we cannot change time. But until we are well we can be G.I.T.S. (gods in training.) We get to make mistakes, do stupid things and we still get to keep our titles.:egypt-dance:

I will just add my best wishes for your continued "getting better." :flowerysmile:

Take care
 
Hi Diane,

Sending you a big hug and permission for time on the pity pot!! :friends:

I remember well that period of time when I could only do one activity a day -- it will pass with time. Respect what your body is telling you and pace yourself for that one activity that you want to do and *delegate* some other items to the friends or family members. Take a nap in the afternoon -- each day, until you don't feel like you need to sleep. Then let it be a quiet time to put your feet up and read or chat on the phone or have some computer time, or listen to a radio show you enjoy. You will get back to two or more activities in a day in time -- and hopefully work in September as well.

It is a time of adjustment to your new normal and it does feel like it takes forever, it takes a long time for our brains & bodies to adjust to one AND a second new hip. I'm sorry that you tweaked something while getting your sticker arranged in the car. I hope that maybe some gentle stretching might help it settle down & there's always the heating pad. Try not to go to the dark place of worry over a revision, I think we tend to do that at times during our recovery because we are so close to the whole hospital experience, it's still fresh in our minds.

I hope that tomorrow will be a little brighter for you -- and if it's a sunny day, maybe time outdoors in a chair with the sun on your face.

Take care,
Cardie
 
We all have our "pity pot days". Might as well share it and get it off your chest. If anyone understands, it is the people in this site. I am wishing you a better day tomorrow. -cathy
 
Thanks Carol, Cardie and Cathy,

Even though I have to work at being positive, i usually am...just an emotional day or two and not accepting where I am at. When I can accept it I go with the flow and feel so much better...so onward again with PT, rest, and caring and loving myself. Cardie, love your practical ideas and I will journal and nap...Carol love your images of caring for the inner child...Cathy, we are so lucky to have the forum for understanding people who have been through what we have. All have a great day today.
 
Hi Diane-hope today is looking brighter!

You will get there! Gotta remember that it didnt take overnight for your old hip to go bad so its not going to be overnight that your body is readjusted to your new hip!

Just keep doing the right things and you will be rewarded:biggrin:
 
Hi Diane,

Hope today was better for you! Its ok to have a down day you've gone through a lot having both hips done. Haldox is right along with everyone else, keep doing what your doing and before you know it you will be doing lots more daily activities.

Sending you lots of love!

xxooxx
 
Hey Sis

Have decided today is going to be my very own pity party, so if you get to read this come join me.. :thumb:

I can honestly say that I didn't think I would have to work so hard at the emotional side of THR recovery... It is a huge part of it.

I too find that one activity is enough and then I am exhausted. I have an extra day off today, but have brought work home to do this afternoon.

But first I decided to dry mop the wooden floors, damp mop them, do two loads of washing and then clean out the fridge ready for rubbish day tomorrow..

Now I am absolutely exhausted, both physically and mentally...

So I think you are doing just fine to take it slow and easy honey.. It is your journey, no one else's and you know on the day how much you can and can't do..

You had both hips done with only a tiny spell in between - I think you are amazing!

Hang in there babe, it is going to get better, it is just time and that word none of us like patience..

Sent with much love and affection xoxoxoxoxxox :friends:
 
dianemarie, I think feeling down is going around. But its ok. I know that time will take care of it. Hows the hip? Time will fly and before you know it all will be well. You will also feel normal. Remember every day puts us closer to full recover. You have come so far, Keep up the good work.:doggieshmooze:Tashia:friends:
 
Dianemarie, it's been a few days since you posted and I hope you are feeling better in yourself now.x.

I know what you mean about not having any conversation. I struggle too having not left the house for over 6 weeks but I ask them lots of questions...a bit like an interrogater really:th_heehee: but it keeps the conversation going.

Hope you have got your positivity back and are doing okay.

Stay strong.

Ann
 
Sandy, love that song, I had a good sing along with it and the pictures were gorgeous.
 
Diane, you have been through a lot--more than most of us have with our hip replacements. The nerve damage you sufferred causes you more problems. How unfortuate that had to happen. I can understand your being frustrated that it's taking longer than you expected.

You said you are afraid you may need a revision--has your surgeon discussed this???

I sent you a PM too.

Dorothy
 
Hi Sis,

Hang in there honey, sending you lots of love and prayers.

I replied to your PM, thanks heaps for the encouragement and sending bucket loads back to you via express email xxxxxx I replied to your
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom