Guest viewing is limited

TKR New Knee for Me

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you for explaining that Toni. Little frustrating still being so dependent on people to take me places.
 
What I didn't ask was do you have more pain in the kneecap because you have kept your own rather than having a new prosthetic button? I'm 8 weeks post op. Thanks. Jenny
Jenny---I cannot actually answer this---as I had a BTKR and both of my knees now have those little buttons in them. I would imagine that since you do not have a button implanted, and that your knee c cap is in pretty good shape, that it is just a matter of "fitting all of the pieces into the puzzle"---it may take a little time for the ligaments, knee cap, and muscles to coordinate and do their things---together!
 
Little frustrating still being so dependent on people to take me places.
Yep---it can be---and that is one of the "downers" and frustrating aspects of having a TKR---for a while, you are dependent on others---we are so used to being independent---but that will soon change. You will actually be more independent when you are totally recovered!
 
We are so focused on gaining ROM---and one of the "side effects" is that once the knee joint begins to move as it should, all of the parts in to move in an orchestrated manner, too. Please keep in mind that there may have been some dysfunctionality in the joint mechanics prior to the surgery, so it takes time for the new joint and the parts to work as an ensemble---getting rid of the dysfunctional and moving forward to the smooth and functional.
 
Thank you Tim. It's that word PATIENCE again. My goodness, that is something I have had to learn these past 8 weeks. :)
 
Hi Jenny:flwrysmile: , just catching up on your posts, you are doing so well:dancy: , and a bath, I can only imagine what that would have felt like, I am no where near having one, I guess it will be a few more weeks more than you because I don't have a good knee to help me get out!! I'm having trouble with my left knee, especially the bend, my right one is good, I guess it's time, I just wish I hadn't had the scope back last Oct, think that has put me back a little.
Loved your little booties.
We are so lucky to have loving and helpful hubbies, but I'm getting so bored having to ask for help all the time, because I am usually so independent, I will just have to get over it.
Weather is getting colder, I have been trying to get outside for a little walk everyday, wish we lived in Sunny Qld, we have a caravan and do hope that next year we will be able to travel to warmer states over our winter.
Take care
Lee:friends:
 
Hi Jenny, hang on in there, you are doing so well. It will get better.
I drove myself to swimming and back today and then later to the opticians and back and it was all fine. I would have been hesitant to drive twice in a day last week. I know it is frustrating to be dependant but remember how you feel if a friend or loved one needs help. I am sure you are only to pleased to help them. Give your husband and friends the joy and satisfaction of being able to help you for these weeks when you need them.
Have a happy Wednesday, hugs, Toothfairy x :dancy: :happydance:
 
The new knee is adjusting to its new home.
 
A male friend I used to work with phoned to see how I was doing last week. He said he was amazed at how long my recovery was taking as someone he knows :headbang: (I thought here we go, but I am Bonesmart now, so I just took it in my stride) - this person had BLTKR's and had recovered so quickly. I very calmly told him that each of us is different, had a different surgeon, different implant and most of all were different in the way we heal. It upset me for a moment, but my friends who visit me on a weekly/fortnightly basis are the ones that encourage me because every time they see me they pass comment on what an improvement I've made since they last saw me. Just yesterday a friend popped in for a cuppa and said I was walking a lot better and quicker. That lifted my spirits enormously. I think people look at the average operation as approx 6 weeks and you're pretty much ready to go, but really have no idea about TKRs, so we have to gently remind them. When I told my daughter of the phonecall she said "Mum, you know how quickly time goes by, from the time he heard this person had had BTKRs to when he actually saw them was probably months, it just seemed quick". So true.
With my TKR leg being my driving leg I have to be absolutely confident it's going to work in an emergency, so with the help of my physiotherapist I'll get there when the knee says it's ready (bossy knee this one):heehee: Take care everyone and have a wonderful day. :puppysmooze:
 
:goodpost:
Wise words from your daughter Jenny. I think you handled that situation beautifully.
Have a great day,
Hugs Toothfairy x :flwrysmile: :bicycle2:
 
Your daughter's absolutely right. It's always a case of someone :shocked: :shocked: :shocked: knows someone who heard of someone...no matter what the situation. Last week someone told me about an 80 year old man who had a TKR and was playing tennis 2 months later. I doubt it's true - and if it is I don't think it's very smart! :shocked:

Good for you for just letting the knee decide how quickly recovery will go. This is such an invasive surgery you have to believe it takes a long time to feel 100%.

Heidi
 
Thank you Toothfairy and Heidi - Baystater. Had physio today and he's happy with things. Added a few extra quad strengthening exercises for me to do til I next see him. My knee had a bit of a work out today,so it's a little tired (but a good tired). Take care. Jenny:puppysmooze:
 
Just popping in say hi and check up how you are going! You have a great Rom and seem to be improving all the time. Driving is the one thing I am missing. Jen do you know if there are any restrictions on when you can drive? Do you to have clearance from your Dr first I have an appointment with Dr at 5 weeks and was hoping I can start driving then just short trips. I think by then I will be ready to drive I have always used my left foot for braking and quads are pretty good.

By way loved your bootees so cute!
 
Hi Kathy, landoz thanks for dropping in. My OS said you are legally able to drive at 6 weeks after your op. I'm a bit disappointed in my quad muscles as I was exercising them for months before the op!! Take care. You are doing so well. Jenny :puppysmooze:
 
I see my OS next Tuesday which would be 5 weeks I was hoping to get the okay but maybe I will have to wait the the 6 weeks :boohoo:
 
Hope the quads are improving Jenny, driving is so nice. I will never take for granted a routine trip to the grocery store again. (Ok, maybe I will. I'm still in the new knee honeymoon phase...) But again you're right, the smartest thing you can do is listen to the knee and avoid issues.

I've started riding my stationary bike at home now, a couple miles every morning. I put on music and it feels great. I think that helps the quads, but it mostly helps my psyche :spin:

We're well into spring up here on the top half of the world and the warm sunshine and promise of summer weather really has me working on this rehab. I just want to be able to swim without a problem, get into a kayak without a problem (and get out.) And, we just found out our second grandchild is due in December. I scheduled my LTKR when I found out - I don't want to be the gimpy grammy:skep: !

Heidi
 
He said he was amazed at how long my recovery was taking as someone he knows
I have heard of these "Walking miracles" but have honestly never met one. Somebody always has a "friend of an uncle's mail-carrier's pizza delivery boy" who was dancing like Fred Astaire in no time. As for the rest of us, well, the train left the station rather slowly and maintained that speed...

I very calmly told him that each of us is different, had a different surgeon, different implant and most of all were different in the way we heal.
Well-played !!!
 
Hi Heidi Baystater. Nice to hear from you. I was wondering how you were going. You hadn't posted on your thread for a while and I thought "she's out in the world having some fun!" Lovely news about the second grandchild. You did so very well with your right knee op, you'll be great with your left one in Oct and ready for your grandbaby's arrival in December. You so need to enjoy your beautiful lake house during the summer before having the next op. I would not be happy having to think of having the next one done at this stage, but when it has to happen, it has to happen. I have a lot of crunching and clicking going on in my left knee and have had an MRI done on it last year and OS said it's going the same way as the right knee did. I have no pain at the moment, so am going to try and keep the muscles surrounding the knee strong and hope I can keep from having the left leg done for a while at least. Still having a struggle with the kneecap, a bit sore and clicky, but am doing the exercises as instructed by PT. I have increased resistance on my peddler some more and am finding the quad muscles are certainly improving as I find the leg lifts are not a problem for me now - woohoo. Gosh that took time! Had to go into work for 5 hrs today. Hubby and daughter have coped so well without me, but today was chaos so had to go in. Hubby bought me a "welcome back cake", sweet thing. Stairs are a problem still, so it's one at a time at the moment. I am a little bit stiff, but not too bad at all. I won't rush back into work, have decided if they can cope with the day I'll let them, but if they can't I'll certainly go in and help - for a few weeks longer at this stage anyway. Glad you're doing well. Take care. Jenny :puppysmooze:
 
I hope you all had a lovely weekend. Yesterday morning we met friends for breakfast at a restaurant. We were there for 3 hrs catching up as they've just returned from an overseas holiday. I wondered how the knee would be when I finally got up, but was very proud of it, no problem at all. It's so nice not to have that arthritic stiffness after sitting for long periods. This was my new knee's first restaurant experience. No stopping it now!!! Have a wonderful day. Jenny:puppysmooze:
 
Hi Jenny, I have just caught up on your thread. Sounds like you are doing really well. I'm glad your quads are cooperating now. I think you are wise to make your return to work as gradual as you can, sounds like a great plan.
Have a great week, hugs, Toothfairy x
:SUNsmile: :tada:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom