TKR New Knee for Me

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jenny,
She is so cute! What a smile on her face - I love when those little personalities develop and you get a glimpse of what lies ahead. All those milestones as Toothfairy said! Glad the knee has progressed so well and yes as long as there isn't pain with the other one you are golden. This left one has been so much more painful than the right for me and I still walk with an awful limp. I feel so much older because of it. Not good :hissy:

I agree, hot and humid weather is not for me. It has a negative impact on my personality! If you ever travel to the States particularly in fall let me know! I'll be your tour guide. And you can teach me how to knit! (I could use that skill right now....with weeks of recovery ahead. Ahh the boredom! The only part if TKR I dread.)

Enjoy that little baby and your upcoming holiday! Where are you headed?

Heidi
 
I was so bored that I went on a website called "Craftsy" and took a class in knitting!!! I learned how to knit socks---knitted about 12 pairs during my rehab!!!
 
Hi Heidi Baystater I bet you're going to be busy today getting things sorted before your op tomorow. Can't believe the day has finally come for you. Time certainly has a way of passing quickly. Due to our business, we can only really travel in December when things start to quieten down for the year, which isn't really the perfect time to travel to some parts of the world. We're leaving early December. We are going to stop in Dubai for a couple of days, then head to Paris, then take the train from Paris to London and then home. As I said, bit cold at that time of year, but I think whatever time of year it is you just make the most of the time you've got, rug up and enjoy. One day, when retired we could go back and enjoy Paris and London in early summer. Dubai is always hot being desert, but in December it is classed as cooler. Being close to Christmas, I'm looking forward to seeing the shops decorated. It'll be nice to get away from our hot/humid climate and experience the cold for a change. I know that sounds crazy to those who live through these cold months, but so long as we're warm I'm sure we'll experience what these places have to offer , and maybe not the queues to places of interest - that's got to be a positive! Our daughter will look after the business and then she and her hubby will go to Hong Kong in January for a couple of weeks. Looking forward to it.
Toothfairy - I remember you saying your granddaughter was about to start school. How has she taken to it? And grandbaby number two waving, what a sweetheart. Talking about Christmas already made me think I'll have to get myself into gear and get the Christmas cake baked and a few things done before going away as we come back just before Christmas. This year has been a bit of a blur with having the TKR and the two of you have had it doubly so. Good luck Heidi for tomorrow, I'll be thining of you. Toothfairy, you keep on keeping on, you're doing great. Heidi, just had a thought - what about SUDOKU to pass the time. Get a tutorial to learn how to play and then just do the easy puzzles. It's great fun, and very addictive, and takes care of a lot of time. I bought some Sudoku puzzle books but I'm sure there would be games on the computer. If you get a puzzle book, use pencil so you can rub out the mistakes. Also, crosswords are a good thing to pass the time. Can't have you bored, that is not a good thing. Bet Chowda is going to love having you in one place though!!
 
Hi Heidi,
Final countdown now. I expect it is a relief to be almost there. I hope you have time for some fun today and a nice walk outside.
I hope all goes well for you tomorrow. I will watch out for your post op posts.
Seven weeks post op (tonight ) I am pleased that the surgery is behind me and I am making good steady progress. Each day I am feeling stronger and able to do a bit more.
Soon you will be there too. Hooray for knee replacement surgery.
Hi Jenny kimejen. Your trip sounds quite amazing. Have a wonderful time. My Grandaughter just loves school. We have recently seen her first school photo, another landmark. So cute. I am looking forward to seeing her soon and of course the baby too. Happy times.
Hugs to you both,
Toothfairy x :flwrysmile: :bicycle2:
 
Jenny,
That sounds like a wonderful trip and December in Paris is really charming! I went to school in Paris for a year and it has been one of our favorite travel destinations ever since. Have you been before? I have a lot of tips if you need them! A few years back a group of college friends and myself went there for girls' weekend (more like 5 days) to celebrate turning 50. They all still joke their clearest memory is of my backside because all they did was follow me around the city. I must have been a tour guide in a former life :angel:

So much to do today to get ready and despite my best efforts some jitters have set in. I will be so glad when this is over... But yes, SUDOKU is a good idea. My husband put a sudoku app on the iPad for him to use while waiting during my last TKR. I should try it.

Enjoy your day :)

Heidi
 
Thank you Toothfairy! You are so right, I need to do some nice thing for myself today instead of frantically preparing. I barely slept last night because I couldn't turn my brain off :tantrum: I lay in bed going over TKR details and making mental lists of things "to do" Now I'm so tired I can't remember half of them.
 
Bless you. You will be fine. Anything that's not done will either get done by someone else or life will go on without it.
I was lucky in having very little notice before this second surgery so I didn't have time to think about it too much.
What time do you go in tomorrow? Do you know what time your surgery is scheduled for?
Take a few deep breaths and go and have some fun.
Here's a hug and a hand to hold today, squeeze as hard as you like!
Toothfairy x :heehee:
 
Thanks Toothfairy.

Among last night's mental lists was a list of people I was envious of. You were on it because you had so little notice and just didn't have time to get yourself worked up! Also on the list are some friends we travel with...they left for a trip to Austria and Germany yesterday and sent me a photo of their pre flight cocktails at the airport bar :skep: ...isn't that MEAN??

I have to be at the hospital at 6:00am and my surgery is at 7:30 so that's good. And I know once I get there and they start to take care of me I will calm down.
 
Well you won't have to be envious much longer as you will soon be on the other side.
I am pleased you have an early start.
You will be just fine and it will soon be over.
Toothfairy x :friends:
 
Hi Heidi Baystater and Toothfairy. I pop in to see how you both are from time to time. Heidi's a bit quiet, but Toothfairy has been a busy bee indeed. Incredible, recuperating but managing to do all this Christmas stuff. Well done, and good for you. I've bought my Christmas cards and a few gifts, but not much at all. Everyone seeems to be watching their weight in the family at present, and it's one of my constant battles, so I put it out there yesterday that maybe we won't have Christmas cakes this year. All seemed happy. I will most definitely be doing a Christmas pudding as that is one of the family's all time favourites, and Christmas lunch wouldn't be the same without it. Shortbread is a must for hubby, even though making it in our terrible heat is quite a challenge, but I'll do that closer to the time. Had a busy week as it was hubby's 60th birthday and we had a surprise dinner. Not an easy task doing things secretly, but so worth it to see his face. It was great. I've treated him to a weekend away, this weekend to Hobart, Tasmania and then on to Port Arthur. We were in Tasmania at the beginning of the year and missed visiting Port Arthur due to the terrible bushfires that closed the road going into P.Arthur. It'll be nice to visit Tasmania again, it's a lovely place.Went to the physio for my monthly check on how knee is going. Have a bit of weakness in the hamstrings which is causing the dull ache in the muscles/ligaments at the side and back of knee, so hence more exercises. Every time I see him he's happy with how I'm going, and I am gaining stength in the quads. Just this dull ache I get which is annoying. But it's 7 months now, and when I look back at where I was, it's amazing how great everything is now. Grandbaby is 13 weeks now.Lots of smiles and coos. We've baby sat a few times, which is wonderful. We absolutely adore her. Can't believe where this year has gone, but a lot of it slipped by having the TKR. Take care everyone. Talk soon. Jenny:puppysmooze:
 
I'm starting to think about Christmas now too now that TKR is done! Ordered our Christmas cards yesterday and the holiday ads have started on TV. Do you have a home shopping channel? Here in the US it is QVC and since I'm spending a lot of time in the family room I put it on sometimes. They're always featuring Christmas decor and gourmet foods and it gets me in the mood! Thursday is Halloween here so I have my pumpkins and Jack 'O Lanterns out. I love this time of year especially since the weather gets really cool and crisp, football is on TV(American football) and we cook different foods for cold weather. Less grilling and more soups and stews to make the house smell nice.

I am hoping to lose weight myself with this recovery. The first time the combination of lack of appetite and recovery effort took 10lbs off. I was THRILLED! Seems to be happening again. Nice little silver lining to the TKR cloud. The trick will be keeping it off during December...with all the cookies and Christmas goodies calling my name.... :sad:
 
I am so jealous - I gain weight with each recovery so have to make a good resolution for the new year to lose.
 
Hi Heidi Baystater - good to hear from you. We do have a home shopping channel on tv but it's not very good, so not much help to me at all. I put out a wish list to the family for Christmas and they each jot down things they would like to receive. It is passed around amongst each other and makes buying gifts so much easier. They still get a surprise but it's something they really would like. Of course I still make sure there is a small "real suprise", that they don't know about. I absolutely hate wandering around not knowing what gifts to buy and would much rather they had something I know they need than to have something I "think" they might like.
I have never had a cold Christmas, so one day hubby and I are going to go somewhere where it gets very cold and snows, and experience a hot Christmas meal in front of a log fire. It's too hot to even contemplate cooking a hot meal in Brisbane in December, so it's always cold meats, seafood and salads for us. We sometimes even experience a summer storm!
I did lose a bit of weight while recuperating from TKR but have put on a little since then. Must have been all the exercises to get the knee in shape. But like you say you don't really have a great appetite for a while.
Take care and follow the Mantra. Jenny :puppysmooze:
 
Hello to all. Well I thought I'd post on my first experience flying domestic service to Tasmania over the weekend. I went through security and had the scanner beep. I informed the officer of my knee replacement. It didn't seem to make any difference to him. Abruptly he told me to go back through the scanner and take my shoes off and then come through again. It beeped again. I was told to go back through the scanner and then wait for a female officer to attend to me with a hand held wand scanner. So people filed passed me while I waited, what seemed forever for the girl to come. Then back through the scanner, which beeped and then had the wand go over me, and every time she went over the knee and it beeped I told her it was the knee replacement. It was like I was completely invisible. I felt like a criminal and I shouldn't have felt like that at all, but it was their horrible manner.:hairpulling:
On the way back, same thing happened, but this time whilst waiting for the female officer, she actually gave me a smile before she "wanded" me. So not a pleasant experience, so I am now dreading my overseas trip next month and wonder how I will be treated in the international airports. One thing I shall remember to do, is take the shoes off first so I don't have to go back and forth. They were leather shoes with not a bit of metal on them. Anyway, we did have a lovely weekend away. Weather wasn't that great but we made the most of it. Did lots of walking, up hills, up and down stairs, in and out of buildings, and by the end of the day my leg was very tired and when I lifted it to get into bed, it was like a dead weight. BUT, come morning it was ready to go again, after resting overnight. Very happy indeed with my new knee and after having this practise run, I'm ready to hit the streets of Paris and London knowing it will do well.
Lilli, our granddaughter is doing well. Nearly 15 weeks now, and smiles and coos and is just gorgeous, until she wants a feed and then becomes a monster. Our son calls her "Chucky" - you know that film with Chucky the horrible doll in it. Not nice at all to call our darling girl that, but let me tell you, I was calling her Chucky by the end of the night. Got quite a temper our little one. So hard to deal with her screaming and not knowing how to help her because she won't take the bottle. Told son and daughter-in-law that they have to persevere with the bottle otherwise we won't be having her til she's weaned. Seemed she behaved in the same manner with the other grandparents and they were quite distraught, as were we. Anyway, they are really trying with the bottle, so we will see how we go when we babysit her on Friday. Once we've got her to have the bottle and she's calmed down again, we get this beautiful smile from her, which of course melts our hearts.
I was out watering my plants this evening, in semi darkness, and hubby is building a deck and had a large piece of timber lying there which I tripped over and really jarred my knee. Pleased to say it feels a little tender, but took the force well.
Heidi Baystater - what are we going to do with you and the boredom!! Thought you'd have it all sorted second time around. So glad to see you're doing well. And Toothfairy, so good to see you're well and truly on your way to recovery too. Take care everyone. Jenny :puppysmooze:
 
Hi Jenny, well that was an experience for you. I hope you have less trouble with security on your international flights.
You can't be the only person flying out of Australia with a replacement joint.
It is good to read about how well your knee is doing.
My left knee has had a slight setback after knee two. Nothing serious, I just think it is having to adjust to the change in gait again. Both knees are now making good progress and are starting to work well as a team. As far as I can remember my right knee is more comfortable and flexible at this stage that my left one was.
I had a good visit to my consultant last week and am now cleared to drive. I wouldn't want to drive a long distance yet but I am fine for local trips.
Your Grandaughter sounds delightful even when she is having a paddy. It's amazing how one so small can dominate everyone. It is truly horrible when a baby is upset and you can't make them better.
Best of luck when you are babysitting on Friday.
I am sorry to hear about your trip, ouch. I am glad there appears to be no harm done. Maybe a little rest and ice?
Take care and enjoy every precious moment with your beautiful Grandaughter. The time flies by so quickly.
Hugs,
Toothfairy x :happydance: :yay:
 
Hi Toothfairy - you know I was thinking about the treatment at the airports and you know, I think there are soooo many of us with a knee replacement now they treat us with disdain. That's the only thing I can think. But surely when you say "knee replacement" they wouldn't keep marching you back and forth through the security scanner and would just get the damn wand. Well we had our Miss Lilli over on Friday night and had the same sort of experience. Our son and daughter-in-law have persevered with the bottle and have had no problem giving it to her they told me. So was happy about that, but as soon as it was me or hubby, it was like she became another child and screamed and carried on. So I've worked it out now, it's not the bottle which we originally thought, it's that we're strange to her. We're not mum or dad and maybe she just doesn't feel comfortable when feeding with us. Eventually I layed her on the bed, thought I'd have no physical contact with her whilst feeding, and managed to get her to have the bottle, with a little fuss, but at least not screaming. I know we see her once a week, but feeding once a week is a loooong time in a baby's life. Mum and Dad are doing it every day and Lilli is used to their smell, touch, voice etc, suddenly she's got either of her grandparents, and we are strangers to her really, at this age. Anyway, we were shattered, took me all weekend to recoup. We had her for 7 1/2hrs, and she slept for probably an hour, on and off, in that time, so it was like a working day all over again, and we'd just done one. By the end of the night the cheeky girl was cooing and smiling, but with bright red eyes after all the crying. I hope it gets better because it surely can't be good for her to be so upset. The new restaurant is doing well hence the long hours, but daughter-in-law only goes in one or two nights a week and each set of grandparents get Lillian. Should be enjoyable but I'm not finding it so just at the minute - I like to have the parents about and just enjoy her. As she gets bigger I'm sure it will improve and it really will be fun like you and Heidi Baystater have with your older grandchildren. Knee is fine. Gets a little stiff and tired after a big day of cleaning house etc. Hubby says "it should be fixed by now", but I know by reading Bonesmart that that's not the case, so I just accept it and move on. Yes in a matter of speaking it is fixed, but it's still early days. Take care everyone. Jenny :)
 
Happy Christmas Jenny,
I hope your holiday is amazing.
Wishing you a very happy and healthy year in 2014,
Hugs, Toothfairy x :xmas-tree::xmas-merry:
 
[Bonesmart.org] New Knee for Me
Hope you and yours have had a wonderful Christmas holiday with lots of family fellowship and sharing of gifts and lots of good food to eat.


I’ll be looking for you at the BoneSmart annual New Year’s Party. It’s been a very eventful year for most of us---and will be a very eventful year coming up for others of us looking forward to surgery in the new year.


Remember to bring food and drink to share---and pictures are always appreciated and loads of fun to share.


SEE YOU AT THE PARTY!!!!!
[Bonesmart.org] New Knee for Me
bottomshollow
 
Hi Heidi @Baystater and @Toothfairy - my goodness where has the time gone? Firstly let me wish you and all my Bonesmart friends a Happy New Year and may you all be blessed with a wonderful 2014 with your lovely new knees. When I think back to this time last year I was in a lot of pain with my knee. What a difference a year makes?? Well the holiday has come and gone, so quickly as they always do, but a great time was had. Got to ride a camel in Dubai and walk on the sand dunes. Knee ached for a few days afterwards. Just different type of exercise walking on desert sand that made it ache. Iced it and took some anti inflammatories which helped. Absolutely loved Paris and had the best weather. It was very cold, but the sun was shining and we had the most amazing full days there. We did so much, it was great. Our window at the hotel overlooked the Eiffel Tower, so beautiful at night. Loved the attractions in London. Only had one sunny day, rest very dreary, but still managed to do what we wanted to do. Came back to very hot days here in Brisbane, which is typical at this time of year. Had a terrible day today. Temp reached 44 C (111.2F). Thankfully we didn't have the humidity too high. Stayed indoors with the airconditioner on to keep cool. Had to keep checking my canaries and changing their drinking water as it was like hot water from the tap. Christmas was quiet with the small family we have, but lovely just the same. It was lovely to have Lilli with us this year. She is 5 months old now and just gorgeous. Giggles now when you go to kiss her on her neck. We have lots of fun. Heidi, is Grandbaby No 2 here yet? And Toothfairy, how is your Grandbaby No 2? Big now I'm sure. I hope you had a wonderful Christmas with your two beautiful new knees. International travel is much the same as domestic. Thorough searching because you beep through the security scanner. Don't give a toss about the knee, but give you a thorough body search. Got used to it in the end, but it's quite intrusive. Heidi, I see you are having heavy snow in Massachucetts. New York looked amazing on our news tonight. Crazy weather, you're having horrific snow storms in parts of the US and we're having heatwaves.!!! And torrential rain in the UK. The worlds gone crazy.Anyway, I'll end for now. Take care. Jenny @bottomshollow - Thank you for stopping by and inviting me to the party, so sorry I missed it.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom