TKR New Knee for Me

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Heidi Baystater wonderful news about the kayaking. It is so exciting to be able to do these things post TKR. I am so pleased for you.
Hi Jenny, you sound like you are making great progress too. Be kind to yourself and allow yourself to enjoy the little triumphs as they come. As the weeks progress things will get easier.
I am noticing an improvement this week again ( week 16 post op)
Hugs Toothfairy x :cheers2: :yay:
 
Hi Heidi Baystater -terrific news you kayaking at the weekend, and swimming. I can imagine how good you felt.Bet you can't wait to do that again. Toothfairy, so glad that there's improvement for you at 16 weeks. I hope you've settled back into your work routine too. My knee felt much better driving today, so that's a plus. Like you say I need to be happy with little triumphs. Take care. Jenny :yes:
 
Hi Jenny, I hope you are well and still making good progress with your knee.
We are having some lovely sunshine here in UK which is cheering everyone up.
I have settled back into work now, I have been back for 5 weeks now and feel like I have never been away.
I have work this week then I have a week off which will be lovely. I am going away for a few days with my husband, something to look forward to.
How is life with you? Not too long to wait for the baby now, I hope all is going well.
Hugs Toothfairy x :egypdance: :SUNsmile:
 
Hi Toothfairy - thank you for stopping by to see how I was going. I'm doing really well thank you. Still a few issues with the kneecap with certain movements, but it is getting better, it's just taking it's time. I'm being patient and hope it sorts itself out in the end. Other than that little niggle, everything else about the knee is just wonderful. My son and daughter-in-law had their baby shower yesterday and he phoned to see if we wanted to park the car in their garage, which is at house level not street level, as they have a very, very steep driveway, and the last time we visited their house which was about 5 weeks ago, I couldn't walk up or down the driveway as the kneecap was quite painful, and we did park in their garage, so I could just walk straight into the house. I told him no thanks I'd be fine this time and I certainly was, up and down the driveway I went without a problem. So that is another plus and shows I'm getting there. The baby shower was wonderful, men invited too which was different, but nice. Baby is approx. 4 weeks away and is engaging in the right position to be born, so that's good, so now we wait until she's ready.
So glad you're settled back into work, but so true how it doesn't take long before you feel like you've never left. Our work is picking up too, which is good, so back into the thick of it for me. Lovely that you're going to be going away for a few days next week with hubby, that's something nice to look forward to. I don't see much posting from people that had their TKR's around about our times, but in a way that's good as it shows everything is going well and they're getting on with life, which is how it should be. It'll be good for you to get a date for your second TKR - I don't envy you, but it's best to get it done and you can well and truly get on with life with two good knees. You did so well the first time, you'll do great the second time round.
I hope Heidi Baystater is well and getting out and enjoying that kayak of hers, on that beautiful lake. Take care. Jenny :puppysmooze:
 
Hi Jenny and Toothfairy, just thought I'd check in. I have been so busy but all good things and the new knee really has me energized. We spent 10 days up at the lake over the 4th of July holiday. I really wanted my folks to be there so I drove to Pennsylvania to pick them up (about 6 hours south of us.) my dad is 85 and still drives but a 6 drive on the interstate seemed a bit dicey!The knee didn't give me any issues on the long car ride which was great. I used to have to stand and lean against the car door when we would stop anywhere just so I could work the stiffness out. While in PA I stayed with my son and family and babysat my grand daughter a couple days. I was actually able to sit on the floor and play with her without doing bodily injury to myself :gaah: trying to get back up!

I have been kayaking and swimming and it's great my only issue is the twisting pain in the left knee but that will be a thing of the past after October 18th. Which will allow me to recover in time for grandchild number 2 due end of December.

Toothfairy, any idea on your next knee surgery date yet?

And Jenny best wishes again on the new grandchild!

Heidi
 
I can't believe it's 16 weeks since my TKR. I still go to the physiotherapist every couple of weeks just so he can keep a check on how I'm doing. My flex is great, get to 130 without even trying, but my extension is 2. I seem to get very tight in my calf muscles and my hamstrings, which the physio massages when I see him. It is quite sore whilst he massages the back of my knee, calf and hammies, but when he's finished I get 0 extension. I still have discomfort in the kneecap and have struggled with the stairs at work. I have had no need to work on stairs as I have a low set house and haven't been anywhere requiring the use of stairs, so back at work the last few weeks has been quite a challenge. I have approx. 20 steep stairs to go up and down to get to the office, and guess what, the toilet is on the ground level! 20 steps doesn't seem a lot until you bear your weight on the knee which still has issues with the kneecap. I used the hand rail to support my weight to such an extent I had pain in my arm and shoulder.:hissy: Anyway I have had to persevere and the knee is finally getting used to it and I feel I am exercising it and improving it for the better. The knee is not happy by the end of the day but after a little bit of TLC and overnight rest it's ready to go again the next day. I do look forward to the weekend though:happydance: I do have a bit of discomfort behind the knee and the outer side of my knee by the end of the day, but after rest and elevation it's fine the next day. Physio commented that I wasn't walking properly, but I put it down to tiredness - when the leg gets tired I tend to walk a bit oddly. I'm trying to work on that and when I find I'm doing that, really concentrate on walking properly. I'm quite exhausted by the end of the working day, but that will take time I'm sure. But on the whole the knee is great - no arthritic pain which is so wonderful. To those of you just starting your journey with the new knee - I know you feel like you're never going to get there, there are all these hurdles and all you do is worry about your knee, but at 16 weeks, even with a few little niggles with my kneecap, life is wonderful and my Bonesmart friends helped me get here with lots of encouragement. :thankyou:
Toothfairy I hope you enjoyed your couple of days away with your hubby and you're ready to conquer work again. Doesn't sound like a happy place to be at the moment. I see you're trying your hand at crochet (but you said you were rubbish). I don't believe that for a second, you'll be posting some wonderful pictures of things you've made. Probably not just yet but certainly when you're recovering from your second knee.
Heidi Baystater - so glad to hear everything is well with you and you had a short break at the lake with your parents. You won't know yourself once you've had the second knee done. I don't think Toothfairy has a date as yet for her 2nd knee, but I'm sure you'll be close. You both did so incredibly well with your recoveries I'm sure the second will go just as smoothly.
Two weeks to go before our grandchild arrives - well it could be any day couldn't it? I shall let you know. Looking forward to "royal" Kate having her baby. Seems baby is taking it's time OR maybe they're keeping the press on their toes!!!! Nothing like a new royal baby.
Take care everyone. Jenny:puppysmooze:
 
Hi Jenny and Heidi Baystater
No date yet.
You both sound like you are doing really well.
I had a lovely few days away. We did some lovely walks which included costal paths, climbing up a steep hill up onto the ridge and walking along beaches. I wouldn't have tackled them before my TKR. We walked about 7 miles on Tuesday and again on Wednesday. Only about 4 on the other two days. I was pretty stiff by the time I got home and my TKR knee was a bit swollen but after a days rest yesterday( well doing laundry and shopping) it feels much better today.
I am really pleased with my new knee.
I have abandoned my attempts to crochet for now as it is so hot here, I am loving the sunshine but struggling with the high temperatures. Roll on autumn!
Hope your daughter in law is keeping well Jenny. Hopefully you will have lovely news for us soon,
Have a great week, hugs, Toothfairy x
:happydance: :egypdance:
 
Toothfairy and Heidi Baystater - Just dropping in to say hello and announce that I have a beautiful granddaughter. They were in hospital 2 nights before going home. Son said to come meet our grand-daughter and please bring dinner - hmmmmm. She is the cutest little thing and really so tiny. I thought my two were small when I had them, son was 8lb8oz and daughter was almost 8lb (1oz off) and she was 2 wks early - goodness knows what she would have weighed 2 wks later! But my goodness, what a blessing to have a newborn, and so perfect in every way. Can't get over the tiny little ears - could have looked at her for hours. Parents looked like wrecks so we left after a quick dinner. Message from son this morning "zero sleeep last night". Oh the joys of new parents. Isn't it a wonderful experience seeing your child in the role of a parent - I look at our son and can't believe it actually - what a softie with his new daughter and he kept telling me how cute she was. Hubby is smitten. I can see it happening, we'll have to get a timer so no one hogs her too long. It's just wonderful.
I hope all the knees are well. I actually feel like I've turned a corner, not worrying too much about the knee these days. I still feel the clinking and clunking, but I know it'll go one day. I've conquered the stairs. Kneecap is still uncomfortable but not painful, which is good. Went to physio today and he's pleased. He massaged the tight calf muscles and hamstrings; had the needling and felt terrific walking out. Each day does get better, but I haven't got to the point where it feels natural yet. Walking stride is improving and distance is becoming longer, so I'm happy. Work is very busy, and sitting and walking up and down the stairs for the day does make the knee tight and tired, but recovers well to do it all over again tomorrow.Here are some pics of the new addition. Toothfairy, enjoy the wedding in Scotland and the time off from work (which sounds like a miserable place to be). Heidi, I bet that kayak is getting used a lot these days. Anyway my bonesmart frinds, take care and keep on enjoying life with your new knees. Jenny
[Bonesmart.org] New Knee for Me
[Bonesmart.org] New Knee for Me
 
:goodpost:
What a joyful post. Congratulations Jenny, you are a grandma. I can tell already that you will be the latest "worlds proudest grandma".
She is absolutely gorgeous. Enjoy every minute, before you know it she will be bossing you all around and you will still be loving every minute. What weight was she? She certainly looks bright as a button and very healthy.
I think your timer idea is an excellent one. :heehee: What are the proud grandparents going to be called?
You have made my day! Such joy!
Hugs and warmest congratulations, :cheers2:
Toothfairy x :happydance: :yay:
 
Hi Toothfairy. Thank you for your lovely words. How silly not to tell you our baby's weight. She was 6lb8oz. and was 6 days early. Daughter-in-law looked like she was carrying a baby elephant, so was surprised at how little bub was. Parents are exhausted, but enjoying their new bundle of joy, and little one is doing well. Our daughter and son-in-law live about 10mins drive away so I hear she phoned her brother on the way home from work because she just had to have another cuddle. I think she's chuffed to be an aunt. We are going to be called MaMa and Poppy. Daughter and I did last minute shopping for bub before our visit. We are not good for each other, because neither of us know when to stop shopping. We just wanted to add a few more things to the "trailer load " we already had, and ended up with quite a few more outfits. Son said, "anybody would think we've had triplets". We had such fun, and will continue to do lots more baby shopping I am sure.
Have a great weekend. Jenny :puppysmooze:
 
Oh Jenny congratulations! I hadn't logged in to the forum in a while and now I'm so glad I did! She is absolutely adorable, and I know what you mean about just wanting to gaze at her. She looks so bright and alert! Becoming a grandparent is just the most special thing. I found myself looking at my little granddaughter and looking for signs of all of us. She is now 2 and a half and I still do that (maybe even more so.) I'm so glad you live close enough to see her frequently. I'm envious - our son and his family are a 6 hour car drive from us. But where there's a will there's a way and we do it often. Baby number 2 is due January 1 so I plan to go stay with my granddaughter when the baby comes.

Glad the knee continues to improve. It just takes time and everyone recovers on their own schedule I think. We are having a wonderful summer, and I've been spending lots of time at the lake. Getting in and out of the kayak has been challenging but I've been doing it. Getting in is easy, getting out is a bit harder because I really use the knee then. The water has been in the upper seventies, perfect temp for swimming. I don't swim fast but I am a good distance swimmer which has been wonderful for both knees. Hubby goes beside me in a boat and he estimates my swim to be 3/4 mile. I swim to an island,rest, then swim back. I had such knee pain last summer I couldn't swim 100 feet! Looking forward to getting the left knee done so that next summer I can add some hiking to my repertoire!

I will try to log in more often, love how we have all become BS "pen pals". Congratulations again on your beautiful little grand daughter!

Heidi
 
Hi Heidi Baystater - so good to hear from you. I'm thrilled to hear how well you're doing with your new knee and how much you're enjoying your summer this year. Sounds like you're having the perfect summer weather, so you're able to enjoy that beautiful lake. You're doing great swimming that distance and getting in and out of the kayak, well done you! I don't envy you having the second knee done so soon, not long now, but I know how much nicer next summer will be for you with two good knees. Won't be able to stop you then Heidi. I still have a few niggles with my knee, but as it's gaining strength it's improving, and I have to keep telling myself that it can take a year before everything is back to normal, but on the whole I am very happy with it. Not to have that arthritic pain is soooo good. My left knee, which I know is going the same way due to MRI, gives me a few troubles from time to time, but I keep telling it to hang in there for quite a while longer, as I don't want to go through this again just yet. I don't have pain with it at the moment, so until I do I won't do anything about it, as it's not hampering me much at present. Our grandbaby, who is 2 weeks old today, is doing great. She's such a snuggly bub, curls up like she's in mum's tum and can lie there quite content for ages. She just eats and sleeps at present, not much fuss at all. Because she's so little, she's feeding a lot, so parents are tired, but coping. We all manage, somehow, and it's only a matter of weeks before things get into a routine and all is well. Once you start getting a good few hours of sleep, you seem to manage so much better. I help by taking up a few meals, so they don't have to think about cooking some nights. Daughter phones her brother up and says "coming up for a cuddle with bub and bringing dinner". They love that. For sleep deprived new parents, they are quite relaxed and love sharing Lilli with all of us, which is so special. Son went back to work today (Mon) so that will bring with it new adjustments. He's surprised me - he's a hands-on Dad and loving every minute of his new daughter. So daughter-in-law will be lost without him today, but she'll find her routine soon, I am sure. So Heidi, not long until October when you have 2nd knee done. Have you found a hobby yet - I know how bored you were first time round!! But then, you've got Bonesmart friends to chat to. Wasn't that a blessing in those early days of TKR, what would we have done without it. Such an enormous help and such amazing information to be given. I'd have become a raving lunatic if I hadn't found Bonesmart. We have had the most glorious winter days here (after quite a few dull days), and it's been very warm, so heaven help us this coming summer. Anyway, you take care and keep on enjoying your summer. Jenny :SUNsmile:
 
Thought I'd drop in and say hello. Went to my physio appointment today. Struggling to get full extension. It's still at 3. I seem to get very tight in the muscles that run from the hip area down the out side of the thigh and knee. Once the physio has massaged the muscles and the glutes (quite sore, and he keeps apologising) I get 0 extension and my knee feels so free. Kneecap still giving me a bit of a problem. Stairs aren't the best yet, although I am doing them much, much better. Hopefully one of these days all will be good. On the whole though, life is pretty good with the new knee, 5 months down the track. I don't worry about the knee much, I keep telling myself it takes time, and I will get there.
Well Toothfairy and Heidi Baystater I nevejr thought being a grandparent could be this good. To watch and enjoy this little girl grow is just amazing. She is a month old now. We see her once a week and hubby and I are becoming better at sharing her!! Parents are still very sleep deprived, but seem so much more relaxed than we were with a newborn. Will attach a pic of her having a bath. Our son was chatting away to her while bathing her and she was taking it all in. Gorgeous little thing.
Wow Toothfairy, 2nd leg being done today, such good news for you. You and Heidi will be able to keep each other company again. Not too long for you now Heidi. Love your kayak avatar. Take care and see you soon with your other new knee Toothfairy. Hugs Jenny:puppysmooze:
 
My laptop is giving me a bit of bother, so had difficulty inserting the pic. Will try again.
[Bonesmart.org] New Knee for Me
 
How adorable! She is so bright eyed and just taking it all in - what a cutie pie she is Jenny! Isn't it sweet too to see your own baby now in the role of daddy? I marvel at that with my oldest son.

Sounds like you have the best situation being able to see her every week, I'm envious. We are all spread around so visits are less frequent, but the kids always plan one week every year where they all "come home" so the entire group is together. It's fun but a lot of shopping, cooking and noise! We did it up at the lake this summer so I will post a group photo over on my Brand New Day thread.

Sounds like your knee has really improved, it just takes time and the improvement can be so subtle but I'll bet by the one year anniversary you'll be good as new. You have the right attitude girlfriend!

I guess Toothfairy is at the hospital or on her way now. I think I'm envious of her too! This left knee of mine is killing me, I'm ready to toss it - the new right knee is really really good (hence the ease getting in and out of my kayak!) my avatar is from just two weeks ago when we were all at the lake. My grand daughter Haley and I were looking for "fishies.")

Keep up the PT exercises and even more important enjoy that little grandchild! Chat soon!

Heidi
 
It is lovely Heidi Baystater to have our family live so close. Our kids live within 10 mins drive of each other, and we are about 15/20 mins away. Everyone gets on well with each other. Our daughter got married in March 2010 and had our daughter-in-law as bridesmaid. Our son got married in October 2010 and had our son-in-law as best man. Very special. Our son-in-law bought a kayak for his birthday, he asked for money as a gift to put towards it. He picked it up yesterday so I am sure he will be out in it at the weekend. I am struggling to find the time to do my exercises, with working a full day at present. I do get to take the dog for a walk every evening, and I climb the stairs to the office (20 of them) a number of times during the day, so I'm getting some exercise, but not the exercises the physio is wanting me to do. I must try harder. Toothfairy is doing well, and you'll be keeping her company soon. Take care. Jenny:puppysmooze:
 
What a fabulous photo Jenny, she is just adorable.
Being a grandparent is very special, the joy without the total exhaustion and overwhelming responsibility.
Cherish every moment as it passes so quickly. My first Grandaughter starts school on 9th September.
Baby two is almost 4 months old.
Hugs, Toothfairy x
 
Hello my Bonesmart friends. I haven't posted on my thread for a while, but I do pop in from time to time to see how my friends are going. Life is pretty much back to normal with the new knee and I do feel happier with it these days. I have gotten used to the click and the clunk, and like others have said, one day you just don't notice it. Some days I wonder if others can hear it click and clunk, but I think it's more a feel. In a way I think it's a good thing, as it shows there's no swelling and it's moving well. I go to my physiotherapist once a month as I get very tight in the thigh muscle and it runs down to the outer side of my knee and it does cause a bit of tightness and discomfort, but not pain. He massages it and loosens it and I leave feeling great. I don't know why this happens but hopefully in time it too will pass. I feel like I'm walking a bit faster, although when I walk with others I feel a bit slower. I haven't conquered distance yet, but I'll get there. It's improving all the time and that's the aim of this game. Not to have pain is a blessed relief. I never noticed my left knee as the right was so bad, but now the right is good, I'm noticing that in time I will have to have the left done. I don't have pain yet, so that's a good thing, and I'm hoping I can get a bit more mileage out of it!! I'm not as brave as some of you going through your second TKR at present, but I know if it was aching like the right leg, I probably would want to get it done. We're heading off on a few weeks holiday at the end of the year and the leg will be put to the test with all the walking we shall be doing. I do my exercises to keep the strength, and am increasing my walking distance, so hopefully all will be good.
Grandbaby is doing wonderfully. She's becoming a little person now, which is just lovely. We've babysat her a few times, which is very exciting. She doesn't like to take the bottle, but we're trying different teats, and we think we've found one she's happy with. A baby with a full belly is far nicer than one that doesn't have a full belly. So we will persevere. She is a dear little thing, and it's just wonderful having her in our lives.
Work is crazy busy and I do miss the days lying around recovering from knee surgery and chatting with you all. BUT we get these knees done so life goes on as normal, and that's a wonderful thing.
We're heading into our summer months now, had some horrid hot days but the worst is yet to come. Humidity lower at this time of the year, but dreading it when the humidity is high, it's not pleasant. One day I am going to treat myself to witnessing what a lot of you call "Fall". It must be absolutely beautiful.
Toothfairy so good to see you coming along in leaps and bounds with your second knee, you're doing so well and I'm happy that by next summer you will be back into enjoying life well and truly with two good knees. And Heidi Baystater good luck on Friday. Thoughts are with you for a great surgery and recovery as good as the first knee. Take care my Bonesmart friends. Will attempt to attach a pic of my precious girl. Jenny:puppysmooze:
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] New Knee for Me
    8ff2964345e59faa4c2d2662a00ab334.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 307
Hi Jenny,
:goodpost:
Lovely to hear that you are doing so well and that life has regained normality. That's what it is all about.
Your Grandaughter is just gorgeous. Truly scrumptious. :yes:
I have now been discharged from physio which is another landmark but also somehow feels slightly scary.
I am starting to think about getting organised for Christmas so that I won't have that to deal with when I go back to work.
No date set yet but as I am now almost 7weeks post op it begins to loom on the horizon.
I will be seeing my granddaughters in just over a week so I am looking forward to that.
The older one is just finishing her first half term at school and the baby has just learned to wave. All life's little milestones.
Hope your summer is not too hot and sticky. Like you I hate hot sticky weather, I just don't cope with it very well especially at the moment as I am struggling with hot flushes. :boohoo:
Take care and keep up the great progress,
Hugs Toothfairy x :friends: :bicycle2: :flwrysmile:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom