Guest viewing is limited

TKR New Knee for Me

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mine would be horrified as well. And my 2 sons would probably need psychological counseling :scary:
 
Oh Heidi, that's hysterical. What our dear husbands do for us. We celebrated our 35 wedding anniversary a few days before I had the surgery. Up until about 5 years ago, the only thing he had to do for me was be there through the birth of our children. Then hello, it's been down hill from then. I had double carpal tunnel surgery, thought I'd get that out the way at the same time. That was a challenge for the poor man - thankfully it was keyhole surgery, but still painful for a while and showering and dressing was the hardest - we had a lot of giggles though. I think we've got good men - they should have run for the hills by now!!! Take care.
 
The leg lifts are still a trial because my knee feels like a dead weight to lift. I know they have to be done because they're strengthening the quad muscle, so press on through gritted teeth. I had some needling today (similar to acupuncture) to see if that will help with the pain in my soft tissue, as that is really hampering me with my exerices.

I notice that you mention having pain when you exercise. What are you taking in the way of medications for this pain? It can help!! You need to be taking something - either prescription or over-the-counter pain medication - to allow you to properly exercise.

I had my TKR on the 8th of March and I'm still taking Tramadol and Tylenol for pain. It helps so much when I want to increase my movement. And, I really need it at night most nights to prevent aches and that restless leg feeling (which is actually a sign of pain).
 
Hi Jamie. I take Paracetamol for the pain and make sure I take it about half hour before exercising. Take care. Jenny
 
Hi Jenny,
So glad you are doing so well, getting more flexion and walking by yourself! :yay: It seems like it gives you so much freedom, and makes you feel more "normal".

I love your idea to get a gift for your great guy, I have one too, so I'll have to think of something! :SUNsmile: He's now helped my through a mastectomy and reconstruction and now a TKR without any complaints. He even spoon fed me and got in the shower with me when I had the mastectomy! Our 39th anniversary was the day after I came home from the hospital.

Congrats on getting the bath, the way it makes you feel is worth all the effort, and a glass of bubbly to boot! Good for you! :cheers2:

Have a great rest of your weekend! :flwrysmile: :friends:

Kim
 
Hi everyone, I've been a bit slack in keeping up with my posts. Went to my physio appointment on Friday. Felt like my leg was quite stiff, and I told the physio that I didn't think I'd do very well with my flex. He asked what I'd been doing that was different, but I hadn't been doing anything different. Anyway, we tried the flex, started at 95 (I got to 103 the week before). Anyway, we did the bending a few times and I got to the 103 without too much trouble, obviously needed a good stretch. He then worked on my scar, did a few things with the knee, and then we measured the flex again. I got to 110 after a few attempts. I certainly did not get pain, just discomfort. I still have a great deal of difficulty lifting my foot from the ground onto the bed. Physio wants me to really concentrate on that this week. Strange that I can lift leg like I'm marching; can lift leg backwards and sideways, but straight out and up is my biggest challenge. The leg lifts on the bed are getting better, but the first few are killers. I feel every movement in my knee. After physio my husband took me down for fish and chips and a walk beside the sea. I certainly can't stride out well and I feel my knee clunk with every step; strange sensation. Came home and had another soak in the bath - getting better at getting in and out now. Felt terrific. Went for another small walk yesterday when hubby took the dog for a walk. I just walked on the flat, but knee very swollen later in the evening. I can't say I'm loving my new knee at the moment, but I do have to say that I'm glad I don't have the arthritic pain. I am just trying to adjust to all the different things that go on with the knee as it's healing. I know 5 weeks is still early days, but I get a little frustrated at times. Didn't succeed with the bonnet, not really good at following a pattern when it's something a bit bigger, so am knitting another pair of booties. Finished one, so onto the other. Will post piccie when done. Take care everyone. Jenny:puppysmooze:
 
Hi Jenny,
I'm glad that is sounds like you are doing well and making progress. I know all about being frustrated, being patient is not my strong suit when it comes to healing! Just remember that one day, months from now you will be wishing you had one of these days back when you had time to read and work on your booties! Too bad we can't bank them to use when we want. :wink: I hope the sun is shining where you are, a walk by the sea sounds wonderful! Enjoy your Sunday. I can't wait to see pics of those booties! :flwrysmile: :friends:
 
Hi Jenny, sounds like you are doing really well. Glad to hear the bootees are progressing.
Your ROM sounds good for this stage in your recovery.
I know what you mean about adjusting to all the different things your knee throws at you. It is a learning curve.
The biggest thing we all need is patience. I say that from experience.
Take your time, enjoy the journey and move on at the pace of your knee.
Have a lovely Sunday,
Like Pat I am looking forward to seeing the bootees.
Keep smiling,
Toothfairy x :happydance: :yay:
 
Sounds like you're making progress Jenny, especially if you were able to get to 110 :) And I know what you mean about the knee making noise. I've been working on stairs and when I come down the knee makes on odd pop and I can feel the knee cap slide. Not painful, just mechanical. I'm going for short walks too, the knee doesn't bother me too much but I get tired so easily. I think for me my stamina is the slowest thing to recover - a 10 minute walk wipes me out :shocked:

Enjoy your Sunday - it is sunny and warm here, a nice day to be at the lake. Hate the thought of packing up the car and going homebthis afternoon!

Heidi
 
Another visit to the physio yesterday and felt happy about my progress. Reached 110 without too much trouble and then with a little bit of nudging got it to 114. He was happy with me.Said I was walking much better, and I do feel that way too. I am managing the leg lift a lot better even though it's still a little bit sore at the time, but isn't lasting. I've got a few different exercise to do, so far they haven't cused me any troubles. Just a bit of a pull behind my knee because I'm working on the extension. I see my OS next Friday, so hopefully he'll be ok with how I'm going. I continue to finish off my physio session with needling and I think that is helping too. My physiotherapist is a lovely young man, and after he's finished working on my knee he apologises if it causes any pain the next day. I'm very hapy with his treatment. He always tries to push me a little further, but when I say no that's it, he says to stop there. Had a few friends visit this week. Breaks up the long days which is nice. To all the Aussie Bonesmart mums, have a lovely Mother's day on Sunday. I've finished the booties and will post soon. Giving them to daughter in law for mother's day. Take care.Jenny :puppysmooze:
 
Hi Jenny, good to read about your excellent progress.
What a lovely idea to give the bootees for Mother's Day.
Have a great weekend and Happy Aussie Mother's Day to you too.
Hugs, Toothfairy x :SUNsmile: :egypdance:
 
Happy Mother's Jenny I hope you have a lovely day! Just reading your progress report well done you are doing so well! :flwrysmile: :flwrysmile: :flwrysmile:
 
sounds like you're doing great, kim. :ok:
 
Hi all. Had a lovely mothers day. Hubby and kids spoilt me rotten. Son did a beautiful job with dinner - it was like we were in the restaurant, but just the 6 of us. Never had stuffed zuccini flowers (corgette flowers). Superb. Knee pretty stiff after sitting at dining table a little too long. But put feet up and it came good. Weather was shocking the whole weekend - not the usual standard for sunny Qeensland!! Daughter-in-law thrilled with booties - son couldn't believe I'd knitted them!! Toothfairy, finally posted the booties. I really enjoyed knitting them and will try and knit a few more before bub is born. Hope your new granddaughter is doing well. Take care everyone. Jenny:puppysmooze:

[Bonesmart.org] New Knee for Me
 
Went to physio yesterday afternoon and got my bend to 124 with no trouble at all. Medial compartment is not stopping me now, which is so good. Extension is still at 4 from flat, but we'll keep working on that. Physio is really happy with how things are going. I got into the car the other day to see how I would go, and I am not confident driving just yet. That foot lift is still causing me pain in my knee, and I don't believe I would be able to brake in a hurry, so will leave it a little longer. Physio has changed a few of the exercises and we're doing exercises on the machines now, so hopefully I'll get the strength soon. I went to my OS appointment this afternoon and he was very pleased with how I was doing. I had to delay my visit to him because he had been unwell, had pneumonia and was off for nearly 3 weeks, in hospital for a few days. I spoke of the concern I had with my quad muscles and he said that some people have problems for anything up to 9 months and not to be concerned it was still early days. He also said being at 7 weeks was still early days and 12 weeks was usually the turning point. Had my list of questions to ask him and felt happy after I left. It seems a lot of my difficulties are being caused by my kneecap, but OS said after what they do to the knee, everything takes it's time to find it's place and restore, so just keep on doing what I was doing and unless I had any problems he would see me in a year. I hope you are all doing well. Have a wonderful weekend. Take care. Jenny:puppysmooze:
 
Hi kimejen
I'm so pleased that your recovery is going so well!
It's great to be able to anticipate another milestone at twelve weeks! Nearly there!
I visited Queensland a few years ago (lots if floods & the occasional croc) and its a beautiful place! We will go back there one day......
We also are having grim weather......
I'm back to work next week, guaranteed the sun will finally make an appearance that day!!!!!! :headbang:
Wishing you a continued wonderful & uneventful recovery!
:puppysmooze: :flwrysmile:
 
Hi Jenny,
I have just caught up on your post. The bootees are absolutely gorgeous. You should be very proud of them.
Sounds as though you are making brilliant progress. It's always good to get some reassurance that things are going well.
I am at 11 weeks tomorrow and I am definitely feeling better as each weeks goes by.
Have a great weekend, hugs, Toothfairy x :happydance: :dancy:
 
referee54 I see you're on line at the moment and thought you might be able to help me with this question. The OS said my kneecap was not replaced as it was in good shape. I can't drive yet as the movement of the foot/leg from excelerator to brake causes pain in the kneecap area. When I asked OS about this he said it was all due to kneecap,ligaments, muscles finding their place and restoring. What I didn't ask was do you have more pain in the kneecap because you have kept your own rather than having a new prosthetic button? I'm 8 weeks post op. Thanks. Jenny
 
Well, those that have the button, still have their kneecaps. The only thing that was done was the underneath side of their kneecaps was resurfaced ( had the arthritic part sanded off) and a button put on the underneath side befor the kneecap is then realigned.

Actually, I can't see any reason why button or not would cause the pain. Most folks don't know they have them! I agree with your surgeon..it is the tendons, muscles and surrounding soft tissue that is getting adjusted to your new alignment that is causing the discomfort.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom