TKR New Knee for Me

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Jenny,
Just popping in to say hello! Hope the knee continues to improve - any progress on driving yet?

I had my final PT session last week so now continuing to rehab is up to me. I swam this weekend, it felt great. Rainy morning here so no excuses, I am putting on my sneakers and riding my stationary bike.

Take care :puppysmooze:

Heidi
 
Hi Heidi, Baystater - Lovely to hear from you. I'm beginning to get very disheartened with my knee at present. :sad: PT has given me another set of exercises to try and help with the kneecap, which I am doing. It still hurts but I am perservering. PT doesn't seem worried, and I suppose when I look at my overall progress I shouldn't complain because other than that particular movement, the knee is great. I just hope in time it'll come right. I keep telling myself it's still early days and I am one of those that will take a little longer to get to the stage where I can finally say that my knee is great and I have no problems. I have gone into work for a few days here and there and except for some stiffness and a little swelling from sitting all day, the knee recovers well. I'm glad you had a swim at the weekend, that would have been nice. You'll be in that kayak before you know it. We've officially started our winter, but the temps are quite pleasant at present. We are supposedly the "Sunshine State" :SUNsmile: but we've had nothing but dreary days and rain. Raining as I write. Hopefully we'll get back to our beautiful winter days where we have glorious sunny days that are so clear and the sky seems bluer than normal. Our grandbaby is due in 8 weeks. Daughter in-law is keeping well. Thought at one stage she may have had gestational diabetes, but thankfully after doing thorough testing, results came back clear. I'm so glad everything is going well with you Heidi. Take care and enjoy your summer. :friends:
 
Hi Jenny,
It is a long road to full recovery. I think this bit is hard. The initial stage of recovery is over and although we read to expect a year of ongoing recovery I don't think any of us really take this on board so we get frustrated whenever we feel things are not on schedule. In reality there is no schedule other than out own knees timetable and we have to learn to accept that.

Hi Heidi, Baystater - PT has given me another set of exercises to try and help with the kneecap, which I am doing. It still hurts but I am perservering. PT doesn't seem worried, and I suppose when I look at my overall progress I shouldn't complain because other than that particular movement, the knee is great. "

You are doing very well, hang on in there.

I am glad your daughter in law is well. I hope that continues through the last stages of the pregnancy. Not long now before you meet your new grandchild. It is a very exciting time.

The dreary weather doesn't help. We have had a few days of sunshine here in the up and it has really cheered everyone up. I hope your bright and sunny winter weather returns soon.

Don't be disheartened, you are amazing and making a good recovery, your body just needs a little more healing time.

How is the knitting going? I am halfway through another cardi for my 4 year old Grandaughter. Progress is much slower as the cardi is bigger and I have less time to knit.
Take care Jenny,
Hugs Toothfairy xxxxx :egypdance: :yes:
 
I know going into the surgery I was told multiple times that it can take up to a year to recover from TKR. Every knee and every reaction of said knee is different - sounds like your knee just needs more time to heal. Hang in there, just keep doing what you can and things will come around. The fact that the PT doesn't seem concerned is the important thing. They see so many joint replacement patients that they seem to know a problem when they see it! My hunch is a few months from now things will be vastly improved.

We've also had so much rain, it is getting ridiculous! My poor little dog just lays on the back of the couch staring out at the raindrops...and dozing. I feel like joining her :doh:

Keep us posted and stay positive Jenny, your BS friends are here for you!

Heidi
 
Thanks Toothfairy and Heidi Baystater. I know deep down inside that "of course it's going to improve" but some days just seem harder than others and you have to dig a little deeper to find that positive attitude. But then along come my Bonesmart friends and they head you in the right direction again :thankyou: . Our weather is supposed to improve today. It'll be lovely to see the sun again. Tiny, my little dog is taken for a walk every evening. He is in such a habit that he now won't do his business in our yard, but saves it for his walk in the little park at the end of our street -(we do take pick up bags). When it rains like this it becomes difficult as we have to keep a look out for a lapse in the rain and then quickly go for a quick walk. Hubby, who has had walking duty whilst I've been recovering, says I've "ruined" the dog! Some will say I'm crazy, but an animal lover will know exactly how these little dogs have you just where they want you!!! So sun would be good. :SUNsmile: I'm knitting a few more mittens, and done a little newborn hat. Daughter & I are putting together a hamper of goodies as a gift from our family when baby is born. We are having such fun and my goodness there are such lovely things out there for bubs. At the rate we're going we'll probably need a trailer to put the items into, not a basket!! :heehee: Take care and have a great day. Jenny :puppysmooze:
 
Hi Jenny,
I love the idea of a hamper/trailer for baby. I was the same for my first grandchild and again for baby 2. It is such a joyful thing to do.
I am sure your daughter in law will love your hand knits, they are special.
Hope you catch some sun. We had a lovely few days but the sun has hidden again, maybe it is visiting you?
Keep your chin up, you are making progress along the recovery road. I had a moment in bed this morning when I was half asleep and about to turn over and was bracing myself for my knee to lock and get painful and realised it doesn't do that any more. Hooray for TKR.
Hugs, Toothfairy x :happydance: :yay:
 
Hi Just wanted to introduce myself.. Im on the list for a TKR right leg. 4,5 years ago had a Osteotomy, where they cut my femor and put a titanium plate in to realign my leg which was crocken from childhood fracture. That all went OK, big op, long recovery and it was to improve my knee situation as surgeon said I Was too Young :) for knee replacement. So ive been living with this plate now since 2008, its become very uncomfortable, hard to sleep etc etc. So he has finally relented and put me on the list for TKR. for my right leg.
I go into surgery tommorrow 14.06.2013 to remove the femoral plate as He says that must happen first. I will need five months recovery time crutches etc. before he can do TKR.
Im a little anxious about having a spinal, last time I had a general.. the cutting and un-screwing noises are traumatising to think about. Can anyone advise if you hear anything?

would also like to hear from anyone else who had an Osteotomy first.

I found the forum today and have been reading up, in anticipation for tommorrow, I will be returning home alone afterward as family are not local.
Thanks and nice to meet you all
D
 
Jenny,
Sadly I've ruined my little dog Chowda as well - with all this rain the only way she will go out is if I give her a piece of cheese. Two pieces actually, one to go out and another one coming back in :groan: Nice life for a dog!

My daughter and I went shopping at a huge outlet mall today so lots of walking. I have to say the new knee worked beautifully. The old one nit so much. I had to keep sitting and resting which was a bit of a drag. Some cute children's outlets like OshKosh, Carter's and Stride Rite (not sure if they have those brands in Australia or UK.) But not knowing if the new baby is a boy or girl I hesitated to buy anything since they already have plenty of link girly things. So alas, what can a sensible woman do but shop for herself?! :)

Pouring buckets out there now. If this keeps up we're going to need an ark...

Heidi
 
Found Bonesmart last week. What a comfort. TKR 3/11. Just returned to work 6/12. Love ice and elevating. Best to you all. Thank you for sharing.

A. In Western Massachusetts
 
Hi DAJ Welcome to Bonesmart. You've posted a question on my thread that I can't answer. What you're best to do is open your own thread and then you'll get more people looking at it and those who will be able to answer your questions about osteotomy. Go to the section Knee Replacement Pre-Op Area and then there is a tab on the right hand side which says Post New Thread. People will then post on your thread. Not many people will see your question on my thread. If you have problems, go into the tab that says Office and click on How to Use this Forum. I hope someone can help you, and I wish you Good Luck for your operation. Take care. Jenny
 
Hi tkrmarch11 We are all very fortunate to have found this wonderful site. I found it before I had my TKR and the information I gained before op and after has helped enormously. Having friends to share the ups and downs with has been wonderful. We have the lovely Josephine :angel: and her amazing team of Advisors who help and guide us through this time. Thank you Josephine. I wish you had found the site earlier. Take care and I wish you well. Jenny:puppysmooze:
 
Hi Heidi Baystater and Toothfairy - woohoo we have sun. :SUNsmile: Sorry Heidi if it's still raining where you are!! Glad your leg coped with your Mall experience. Just think this time next year you will be running around that Mall with your two new knees. So glad Chowda is spoilt rotten like my Tiny. Toothfairy, it's such a nice feeling not having that arthritic pain, I know exactly how you feel on waking. I used to dread that first step out of bed in the morning because the pain from the arthritis would start all over again. So yay for TKR. Have a wonderful weekend. Take care. Jenny :puppysmooze:
 
Hi Jenny,
It's been a while since I've caught up on this site but I wanted to stop in and say I hear you 100% with the frustrations about the bumps in the road in this recovery. Please know you are not alone in the fact that your knee is taking it's sweet time to become the strong healthy joint you were hoping for.
I'm glad to hear you have the prospect of a baby to keep you occupied and busy during the long days of recovery.
Hang in there!
 
Wow, sunshine! I had forgotten what it felt like - we're up at the lake and it's beautiful, several people out there sailing. Very pretty. Hope it lasts all weekend, especially for Father's Day tomorrow.
Chowda sends her best to Tiny :puppysmooze: a fellow member of the SRDC (spoiled rotten dog club.)

Heidi
 
Hi Heidi Baystater. The lake sounds like a beautiful place. SRDC - I like that , and so true too. Well, we still have sunshine, and this is what our winter should be like. Temps have dropped though, so a bit crisp in the evenings and early mornings but otherwise beautiful days. The weekend was the first we'd had sun in a long while, so son and daughter-in-law phoned and said how about fish and chips at the beach. It was glorious. My hubby has been tiling the kitchen/family room, when he's not at work, so he's been pretty busy, so it was nice for him to have a break from it. We came home feeling quite relaxed after the lovely sea air and sunshine.The wind has picked up today which is making the day very unpleasant, but the sun is still shining, so alls good. I'm trying to do little drives in the car, making my knee do the movement that hurts. It's not feeling good, but I'm hoping the more I do it the better it will become. I find myself grunting everytime I have to lift the knee onto the brake. I've got to do something because it's really starting to annoy me. That little bit of impatience coming out there!!! Hope all my BoneSmart friends are well. Take care. Jenny :puppysmooze:
 
Hello to my Bonesmart friends. Would you believe we have that dreaded rain back!! :sad: Weather around the world has gone crazy. We had storms in some areas last week, with devastating results. Unheard of at this time of the year. Well I had a physio appt yesterday. ROM is doing well. Got 128 flex without any problem and he measured extension and it was just under 3 but after doing some massage on my tight calf muscle and hamstrings we measured the extension again and it was 0. I continue to have pain in the kneecap region, so PT advised stopping some exercises. I am driving, although not far due to the discomfort, and I hope it improves at some stage. I have no pain whilst walking, sitting etc. so that I am very happy with. Just this added niggle, but I have faith that in time it will get better. I have increased my walking distance, but find I am still a little slow; don't have a good stride yet, and do find I'm quite tired at the end of the walk, even though I don't feel like I've expended much energy. My knee still feels a bit clicky and clunky but am slowly getting used to that. I send you all big hugs as we continue on our journeys together. Take care. Jenny :friends:
 
Jenny,
Those numbers sound excellent - I know I don't have 128 flex, maybe 124 but that extra 4 degrees makes a difference. And glad too you are able to drive again even with the kneecap discomfort. Driving is so liberating, who knew?? :) Just to go to the grocery store by myself is great.

We have had a string of warm summery days. (I hope I don't jinx it by saying so...) My youngest son is home for a few days so we went out for breakfast this morning which was a treat. Headed up to the lake when hubby gets home this afternoon. This weekend I am determined to get in my kayak, first time post TKR. That 128 flex would come in handy! I think I can get in, but getting out might be a challenge - I'll let you know. If nothing else, I'll roll out of it and swim to the dock.

Have a wonderful weekend,
Heidi
 
Hi Heidi Baystater - you enjoy your weekend at the lake. I am certain you'll do great in the kayak. What's the temp of the water at the moment? Having your son home for a few days is lovely. Your weekend away will be extra special. My OS was a bit adament that I get 120 flexion and he explained that your legs at that degree are behind your hips and gives you a better push up. My physiotherapist also said that the magic number is 120 that they try to get you to and then anything else is a bonus. He said the rest will come in time, but not to be concerned about flex anymore. We are just working on getting that extension to 0. Having had my knee bent at about 14 before the op I know how much it hampered my walking. After the physio worked on my calf muscle and hamstrings and he got me to 0, the last couple of days I have felt so much looser in my walking. Don't know if it's in the mind, but so much focus is on the knee it's almost like you know exactly every movement. At the end of the day, I am just grateful not to have the pain of the arthritis in my knee anymore. It's the perfectionist in me that overshadows the good I've done with "you can do better". We have the most beautiful day today. :SUNsmile: Little windy but that's ok. Got plans to take Tiny for a nice walk today. We had to dodge the puddles yesterday, we were the only silly ones out in that weather, everyone else was sensible enough to stay in doors - but you know that club we're in SRDC (spoilt rotten dog club), they win every time. Take care. Jenny :puppysmooze:
 
Just a quick update, I was able to kayak! Could not believe how easy it was getting in, a bit more challenging getting out. But I was so happy. My son and I went out for a paddle on Saturday, I smiled the whole way :)

I think the water is in the mid to upper 70's F (not sure how that translates to C) so cool but so refreshing when it is hot like it was this weekend. I swam out to chat with a neighbor who does a daily swim every morning (and she is 79!)

Hope you had a nice weekend!

Heidi
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom