TKR New Knee for Me

Status
Not open for further replies.
I never learned how to crochet, knit or sew - my mother was a bit of a 1960's feminist and wanted nothing to do with anything domestic. She even hated cooking (at 79 she hasn't changed, my poor old dad frequently gets a peanut butter sandwich for dinner :groan: ) Fortunately I inherited a love of cooking from my grandmother so that has always been my hobby; perusing cookbooks, shopping for special ingredients, preparing new things. Hard to do right now especially since I can't drive. But soon enough I'll be able to!

When my husband's job moved to Boston a few years ago we were heartbroken to leave the house we had been in for 20 years and raised our three children in. Our daughter did a beautiful scrapbook of the house using Shuttterfly. You're right, I should do something creative with all my grand daughter photos.

I did so a little online shopping today - that was fun! I figure a TKR is a good reason for a girl to treat herself to some new things :)
 
It took me about 2 weeks to get my leg into bed without a leg lifter. One of the PT's gave me an electrical stimulator device to try and get my quads to act like quads again instead of a bicep. I worked on a computer graphic project, though I wish I might have pulled out knitting needles. I like the recipe book idea, too.

Where are you in Boston, Baystater? It is my sister's birthday weekend. We made plans a couple of weeks ago for me to come down. That was before Watertown was in the international limelight. Glad the police put the manhunt to rest, so I could be here. Your grass is so much greener with daffodils and forsythia springing out to welcome this season.
 
Hi Jenny kimejen hope your knee has settled again.
Great idea doing the cookery book. I did a photo album for my daughter for her 21st birthday.
Just like you I am enjoying having time to do things that work normally squeezes out. It has made me think about work life balance and I am hoping that I can keep a bit more balance when I go back.
Glad you enjoyed your online shopping Baystater you certainly do deserve a treat after a TKR. The Internet can be such a wonderful thing. I have done lots of online shopping for groceries, gifts and of course a few treats for me! I also bought a treat for my husband for being such an excellent carer, not that he was looking for one.
Have a great Sunday,
Hugs Toothfairy x :happydance: :dancy:
 
Martha, we live in the western suburbs about 25 miles outside of Boston. My husband commutes in every day but by leaving the house at 6:00am he is in his office in less than an hour. He works in the Longwood Medical area right next to Children's Hospital and Beth Isreal Hospital. Needless to say with the entire city on lock down Friday he had the day off. What a sad week that was - so glad it's over. I'm so glad the London Marathon went without incident, there was a lot of concern here about that.

Tooth fairy, what a nice idea to get something for your husband for all his help! I'm going to have to think about that - mine has been a gem as well.

Jenny, that is funny that your kids love your cauliflower with cheese sauce - that must be comfort food for our kids because that is something my children always ask for when they visit. :)
 
I'm in Watertown, just back to my sister's house, about 4 blocks from the police shootout scene, where the older brother was killed. We tried to see past all the crime scene tape to where the younger one was apprehended. The police were out with survey equipment and in what appeared to be the backyard where he was found inside the boat, there was someone up high in a hazmat suit.

Interesting hearing everyone talking at dinner last night at church this morning. So many different perspectives and yet so close to being the same. Everyone locked in their homes glued to the media trying to learn as much as possible about what was happening.

I got my exercise today walking around Watertown with my sister to walk off the birthday dinner we had. We went to China Pearl that the two Chinese students she hosts recommended along with some of her friends. We filled a table of 9 and enjoyed the dim sum.

Wondering if any of you have been on gabapentin for any length of time and had any issues withdrawing from it?
 
Haven't posted on my thread for a while so thought I'd put an update. Went to see my physiotherpist today.
Flexion at 103, so improved some more this week. Extension remained the same, but that's ok, I'll keep working at it. I am walking unaided now, cautiously, but my knee feels capable so am happy doing it. PT was impressed I didn't have my walking cane with me. The leg lifts are still a trial because my knee feels like a dead weight to lift. I know they have to be done because they're strengthening the quad muscle, so press on through gritted teeth. I had some needling today (similar to acupuncture) to see if that will help with the pain in my soft tissue, as that is really hampering me with my exerices. It used to help me ease my arthritic pain, before the op, so here's hoping. On the whole he was happy with how I was going, and told me not to do anything if it hurt. Good man.!! Have finished the booties and mittens and now onto the bonnet, bigger job, not sure how I will go with it. Hubby taking me to hairdresser for hair cut tomorrow. Thankfully my hairdresser works from home, but has a lovely salon, so won't be out too long. Looking forward to a tidy up. So want a soak in the bath, and can because my scar has been perfect from day 1, but it's the orchestration of such. I think I will attempt it, but there might be some heeve hoeing (not sure if that spells correctly) going on, but could well be worth it. :rotfl: Will let you know. Might put me off having a bath for life. :yikes: Well my friends. I hope you are all well. Take care. Have a lovely weekend. Jenny :SUNsmile:
 
Hi Jenny, so glad to hear you are doing extremely well, and being able to walk without help that sounds amazing, big pat on the back for you.:thumb:
Having a bath will be good for the soul, take care getting out and make sure you have help, I need it now so can't imagine how I will manage when I have both of my knees done...:scare: I guess it will take time.
Enjoy your weekend in the sunny state. Starting to get cold here.:beg:
L:friends:
 
Well done Jenny sounds like you are going really well walking unaided already that must be a good feeling. Good luck with the bath! :egypdance: :happydance:
 
WOOHOO. Had the bath. Not too bad an experience. Hubby helped me in and out; it was absolute heaven. My knee actually feels better for it. Whilst I lay there, oohing and aahing, hubby brought me a glass of bubbles to help me celebrate my bathing experience. Sweet man, he really is. Such a simple pleasure, but it has truly made my day. Thanks Lee and Kathy for your kind words. Just have to learn to be happy with small achievements. I am not an overly patient person, but my goodness I have certainly learnt to be, and I think it's been a good learning curve. You both enjoy your weekend doing something special. Big week ahead for both of you. Good luck to both of you. Keep your fluids up, you'll feel better for it. BIG HUGS. Jenny :puppysmooze:
 
Hi Jenny....so glad you took the plunge..nothing like relaxing in that bath...and a glass of bubbly well done :yay:
sounds like a good start...enjoy.

hugs Gami :friends: :flwrysmile:
 
How nice Jenny! A nice bath and a glass of bubbly sounds wonderful, and a proper way to celebrate the recovery process. When you look back on the early stages post op doesn't it just amaze you that so soon after you can get in and out of a tub (with a little help!) I may have to try that myself...but OK I have to ask, how on earth did you get out? I can figure out how to get in, but not out - I'm afraid I'd be stuck in the tub :tantrum:

Lee and Kathy, so glad your surgery dates are coming up. I still think that pre op waiting was the worst part - once the surgery is done and you're back in your hospital room the relief is overwhelming!

Have a wonderful weekend girls,
Heidi
 
thanks Heidi & Jenny trying to relax and I'm definitely keeping busy. And I thought about what you said about fluids tonight when I realised I hadn't drank much all day so will make up for it tomorrow for sure.

So glad you made it in and out of bath and a lovely glass of bubblies to top it off what a thoughtful hubby! Enjoy the weekend! :martini: :yay:
 
thanks Heidi & Jenny trying to relax and I'm definitely keeping busy. And I thought about what you said about fluids tonight when I realised I hadn't drank much all day so will make up for it tomorrow for sure.

So glad you made it in and out of bath and a lovely glass of bubblies to top it off what a thoughtful hubby! Enjoy the weekend! :martini: :yay:
 
Heidi, let me tell you it was a little tricky. I let the water out, then got a small towel and put it close to the top of my good leg's thigh (underneath), then brought the good leg (which really isn't that great) up and placed the foot on the towel to stop any slipping, then put hands on sides of bath and pushed up with good leg and as I started going up, hubby held on tight and then he had to help the bad leg out as I can't lift that very well. Military operation I tell you, but when you want something soooo bad, it's amazing where you get that added strength!!! Amazing how good I feel though. :dancy:
 
Hi Jenny,
Congratulations on your bath and bubbly, what a delightful combination. :martini:
Good news about your physio visit. You must be very pleased. I am delighted for you. :ok:
Sounds like you have caught the knitting bug, hope the bonnet works out nicely for you.
I have just finished a little sleeveless waistcoat, it is a really simple pattern but my brain was obviously not in gear and I have never had to unpick something so many times! :headbang: It looks cute now it is finished but not sure if it will get much wear.
Have a great weekend, hugs, Toothfairy x :friends:
 
Putting the towel under the foot of the "good" leg is ingenious! I've made a mental note of how to do this and just might try a bath this weekend.... I have to say last night my husband and I were laughing, we've been married 32 years and I'd like to think there's still a little spark left, but after all he has seen :yikes: and had to help me with the last 4 weeks I'm not so sure! The worst was the first week at home. I could not get off the toilet by myself! I could at the hospital but our toilets here at home must be a teeny bit lower because I just couldn't do it. I had to sit there and call for him to come help me. Like a child! His personal favorite was after a shower I had wrapped a towel around myself and was pushing my walker over to the closet to get dressed...and the towel fell off. Nothing says unsexy like a naked woman pushing a walker! :groan:

The biggest lesson I've learned through this whole process is just relax and maintain that sense of humor. And try to keep the towel on...:blush:

Heidi
 
:goodpost: :rofsign:
Thank you for sharing Heidi, you really made me laugh.
A sense of humour overcomes many obstacles.
Hugs,
Toothfairy x :loll:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom