THR New Hip -Now bionic!!<

ONE YEAR UPDATE

Well hi all my hippy friends thought I'd put up my one year blog. What a roller coaster of emotions, ups and downs etc but my bonesmart buddies have been with me all the way! Am going to make a list of all the good things.
1. can now put on socks and tie shoelaces.
2. can balance on my operated leg no problem at all.
3. can walk upstairs and downstairs like a normal person instead of a duck!
4. can climb ladders to decorate.
5. don't have a limp and walk with a normal gait.
6. leg length has almost resolved itself.
7. can sleep on operated hip with no pain.
8. can get in and out of shower not tried bath yet as back and knees not very good.- What a wimp!
9. can bend over and pick things up from the floor with ease - don't squat as my knees wouldn't let me get up lol.
10. To be honest I forget Iv'e had a hip replacement it'so good. Feels strong and firm all the time.
11. Still have some pain in both buttocks but that could be coming from the back.

Hope this will give some hope to all who may be struggling a bit. There really is an end when everything feels great. Wishing tou all a healthy and happy recovery.
 
@Cas do you have a TENS machine? Helped me to get moving again. So sorry you are suffering from this!
 
@Jaycey no haven't got one but will get one and see if it helps. Anything is worth a try!!! Thanks for that.:). How are things with you? Are you keeping well.
 
Nice update @Cas -I somedays forget about my hip. Squatting has recently gotten easier, but I don’t have significant knee issues.

Wondering where everyone gets the tens units. Do you need a prescription?
 
@MammaT hi there. No you dont need a prescription you can get them at the chemist/pharmacy or buy online. Will give it a go as butt pain is quite bad at times. Not sure if it's left over from hip or my back has got worse LOL. Got to smile through all of it don't you. Nice to hear from you have been away for a while but trying to check in here as often as I can. All my buddies have moved on as they have recovered so it's good to know how successfull they are. Have had great support on here from everyone. Have a good day/night? Happy healing:chuckmarch:
 
Yeah for you getting your life back!
I too feel so grateful for this surgery.
And the folks on this forum.
I too have some minor back issues but will work on it.
Irish Joe said to me, he was 90% and if that's how it ends up...it's good enough. Obviously NO pain and 100% would be great, but look how far we have come. Yay for no hip pain.:egypdance::egypdance:
 
Last edited:
Thanks for update so pleased you are doing well, you have given me hope and optimism for the future.
I think big message with hip replacement is PATIENCE this forum has made me realise that.
 
Here's a link to a thread Jo put together on TENS.
Wondering where everyone gets the tens units. Do you need a prescription?
You don't need a prescription here in the UK. But in my experience you may need one in the US. As your surgeon or PCP.

Keeping well thanks @Cas . Work at the seabird centre is done for the season but there is always plenty to do around our property. It's like a mini zoo here!
 
What a refreshing update! @Cas
Your progress should be uplifting to those who are discouraged or struggling.
Patience is hard to come by at times. After misery, most of us want instant healing.
Thanks for sharing. May it only continue to get better!
 
@Cas, I echo the others being sorry for this news about arthritis throughout your spine. In addition to the arthritis, you might have osteoporosis. Many women of our age have it in our spines, and it causes our vertebrae to be less dense than they should be and prone to breaking. If you haven't already had a DEXA scan, you might think about it, as that is something else that can be going on with your spine. I'll be starting a medication soon that is supposed to build up my bone density a bit. It went down 12% in the past two years, and my back feels so weak and iffy. I'm scared to have more compression fractures in my spine, since it is so painful.

It must be very difficult to be debilitated like you are. I like Jaycey's idea to build up core muscles. Hope you can find some relief.
 
What a positive update @Cas. I’m still practicing being patient.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
I once told someone who told me that patience is a virtue “I have never been a virtuous woman!” This whole hip thing makes us work on it! Oh and I did check-tens is available on Amazon in u.s.- checking out models.
 
@Susan209 hi There. Yes patience is really hard to find after hip replacement. LOL! However I had to learn it. Am usually very active but the last 3 years have been a nightmare of ups and downs - don't know what I would have done without my buddies on here. Please be patient because there is light at the end of the tunnel and your hip will be brill and give you a new lease on life. It's early days for you yet but it's amazing how much you will progree over the next few weeks. Hugs for a happy healing:friends:
 
@MammaT yes I looked online but not sure which one to get. I will wait till I've seen the pain clinic and ask them. Also am getting injections. I know they don't work for everyone but mayby I'll be one of the lucky ones. I have had the bone scan thingy but they told me it would be up to six weeks before results!!!!!!!!!!! Our NHS is struggling with staffing!!! Patience once again! Hope all goes well for you.XXXXX
 
@Krista . Yes have had dexa scan and waiting for the results-6 week wait!!!!!!! Yes it's annoying to be so useless but at least hip is great-maybe a blessing not have been able to do much as hip has had such a long time to heal? Got to think positive. There are bebefits LOL!!! The worst thing is not being able to exersise my dogs. However my little pack has shrunk from 4 to 1 now so only have 1 cabin fevered doggie. I also have 2 spinal fractures - what a mess. Hope things go well for you - onwards and upwards XXXXXXX
 
Just wanted to add something about the Tens unit idea
I use a Quell it is a similar devise and user friendly. It greatly helps
my pain levels and I would be lost without it. It boosts endorphins.
You can use it 24/7 if needed. It tracks steps and sleep too. Google it
Pricey ~300$? but I bought mine through CVS pharmacy online with a 25% off
Coupon -
get the active/workout strips can use them forever...
 
@Cas, it must be so hard for you not to walk your dear dog!

I'm confused about the scan you had that you are waiting 6 weeks for results for. Was that a bone scan or a DEXA scan (bone density)? I can't believe it takes so long for you to get a test result. That's just not right. I've had both of those kinds of scans, and I usually get results in a couple of days.

If it was a DEXA (bone density) scan, then since you've had two vertebral fractures already, I'm guessing your result will show osteoporosis in your spine. I hope you can get help from your spine specialist, although you may need to see an endocrinologist about medication for osteoporosis.

As far as the cortisone shots go, I believe the effects from that are temporary, so no permanent fix there. But if you can get relief for awhile, that would be a positive thing for you.

It's great that your hip is in such good condition! Congrats on that!
 
@Cas - the other thing you might give a try are lidocaine patches. My mother uses one at bedtime every night and it helps her a great deal.
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom