THR New hip, new beginning.

In meantime I’m to keep strengthening, and stretching the psoas area and even if in pain this is important just take more pain killers!!
:hi:
What exactly are you to be doing to strengthen the psoasis that requires additional pain meds?
Glad they are trying to check out all possibilities... blood tests etc.
Praying for answers for you.:prayer:
 
@Mojo333 thank you.
I don’t have to increase pain meds, just keep taking them regularly so I can exercise through my pain. I’ve got to try stretching out my hip flexors and psoas muscle.
 
Hi @Minnie15
I'm sorry to read you're struggling so at under two and a half yrs post op and that you have to wait 4-6 months for an MRI. Unbelievable.

Do you have names of the exercises you're doing? Can't help wonder if they could be doing you more harm than good at this point. Would you be willing to stop them for 2-3 weeks and see if you notice any improvement?
Sending hugs and wishes for your comfort.
 
Hi @Layla
Yes I’ve decided to not do anything other than walking at the moment and I have a dog so I walk quite a bit.
I’m trying to stretch out my psoas muscle.
The exercises were bridging, side leg lift standing against a wall, squeezing ball between legs when lying on back with knees up. Find it hard to describe exercises!
The last couple of days have felt slightly easier but at night time is the worse.

I just wonder how this pain started in the beginning, it’s been like this since January. I don’t remember doing anything specific and thinking ouch that hurt. I’ve been told ‘these things happen’...
 
Evening all. Wanted to let you know the results of my MRI
“ALL NORMAL”

Ok so in one way that’s good news, however I’m still in pain and to date there has been no explanation why.
My surgeon has said he’s not sure where we go from here but wants another X-ray (the last one in March was fine) and possibly another cortisone injection followed by physiotherapy immediately after if the pain subsides following the cortisone jab in to the muscle.

Frustrated is an understatement.
I’m currently doing no exercises whatsoever and overall the pain has slightly reduced but I’m still waking up in agony most nights.
 
Great news on your MRI results. I'm sorry you continue to struggle without answers.
Prayers the origin of your pain is discovered so you're able to move forward in comfort.
Please stay in touch. We're here for you!
@Minnie15
 
Hello everyone, it’s been so long since I posted here I’m not sure I’m even posting in the right place!
Its my 4 year THR anniversary today so sending love to all and always have so much thanks and gratitude to all that connected with me.
I struggled with my decision for the op for various personal reasons on top of sheer fear! However this group was a life saver and made me think straight and focus.
I wonder if my old hip friends are still here? I still keep in touch with @GrannyC !
 
Last edited:
@Minnie15 Almost a week past my LTHR it's nice to hear of sustained success! I agree that this group is wonderful. For me, it's so nice to have permission to sometimes feel bad. Powering through, while it can have it's place, gets old fast. Thanks for checking in!
 
@DancerHips thanks for your message!
It really is one day at a time and time to look after yourself as much as you can and enjoy watching your progress. Every day you can feel differently but the small steps towards healing will come. It’s absolutely ok to have moments of feeling completely rubbish too!
A week after my op I used to look at the floor thinking ‘how did I ever get down there!’ and more importantly ‘how on earth did I get back up!’ ... it’s incredible how the body recovers. Take care.
 
Hello @Minnie15 very good advice!

You'll notice that I have merged your two threads together as it's best if members in recovery only have one thread. We find it much easier for everyone.
This is because:
  • That way, you have all your information in one place. This makes it easier for others to go back and review your history before providing advice.
  • If you start new threads, you miss the posts and advice others have left for you in the old threads, and some information may be unnecessarily repeated
  • Having only one thread will act as a diary of your progress that you can look back on.

Please keep all your questions and updates on this thread. We won't miss your new question as, between us, the staff read all new posts each day.
If you need an urgent response to a question, tag a member of staff.
Tagging other members and answering tags

If you prefer a different thread title, just post what you want and we'll get it changed for you.

Here are the instructions on finding your thread, How can I find my threads and posts?

A helpful hint - Many members have found it useful to bookmark their thread so they don't lose it.
 
Happy Anniversary @Minnie15 , my UK hippie friend! It's hard to believe it has been four years since we went on that journey. But as you said, it's incredible how the body recovers and this year on our anniversary, I had totally forgotten about the surgery until I heard from you. It's just a good reminder that time helps heal and we all reach a point where we don't dwell on the surgery any more.

BoneSmart helped me through it all, too. The people on here are incredible and always there to lend an ear when we feel down or to enourage us when we need it. It made the journey so much easier. To those who have just had surgery, better days will be here soon. It will seem so great to once again be able to walk pain free.
 
:wave: @Minnie15
Four years and four flowers :flwrysmile::flwrysmile::flwrysmile::flwrysmile:
Hope spring is springing where you are and there's a spring in your step.
 
Happy 4 year THR anniversary @Minnie15! It sounds as if you've overcome that psoas pain. Did it just go away without any further intervention?
 
So awesome for you to drop by, say :hi: and update. It’s wonderful to read you’re doing well and going strong!

A week after my op I used to look at the floor thinking ‘how did I ever get down there!’ and more importantly ‘how on earth did I get back up!’

Funny and true! Toward the end of our natural hips life, the sight of getting up and down off the floor, if even possible, sure ain’t pretty! :heehee:

Thanks for stopping by, Minnie. So nice to hear from you.
Enjoy the Spring and Summer!:SUNsmile:
@Minnie15
 
@helenium thanks for your message. Unfortunately no I’m still having trouble!
I had a further cortisone injection last summer and instantly I had huge relief and pain free but it didn’t last. All my appointments were then put on hold due to covid and I was literally told they have no idea what’s wrong, however I requested a second opinion and I’m seeing this surgeon on May 10th. He thinks the tendons are rubbing against the prosthesis but it wasn’t clear from my scan so I have to have a more detailed one.
If it turns out to be this that’s causing the pain (which I have to say is intermittent but awful at times) then there’s a keyhole surgery op available which releases the tendons away from the joint…not totally sure of my explanation!
So we’ll see!
 

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022

Members online

Back
Top Bottom