THR New hip, new beginning.

@Minnie15 so sorry to hear it's still a problem for you. I've had a similar problem since November 2019, my surgeon was going to investigate, then no further appointments since February 2020 due to covid restrictions. I hope your May 10th appointment gives you some answers, do keep us updated. Best wishes.
 
He thinks the tendons are rubbing against the prosthesis but it wasn’t clear from my scan so I have to have a more detailed one.
If it turns out to be this that’s causing the pain (which I have to say is intermittent but awful at times) then there’s a keyhole surgery op available which releases the tendons away from the joint…not totally sure of my explanation!
@SaraK has had a psoas tendon release surgery. I believe it helped tremendously.
Perhaps she will pop by and let you know how it works.
 
@Minnie15 - so sorry you're having these problems. Other than mine starting much sooner and the injection only helping a couple of weeks, you've described my experience to a T.

Finally a surgeon that "gets it." Unfortunately, though, he hasn't gone the next step. Find (or ask for a referral to) an ortho that specializes in young hips and treats "snapping hip." Not all surgeons do the surgery that might be necessary.

It very much sounds like psoas impingement to me, but I'm not a doctor and you'll need one to make a diagnosis. It's hard for them to see on any scan because of the metal shadow from the cup. One of the best diagnostic tests is actually the steroid injection into the psoas tendon at the groin. If that fully relieves the pain, a psoas impingement is a very likely culprit.

I know you don't want another surgery, but a psoas tenotomy (release) saved my sanity. It was a quick recovery - I could finally sleep in my bed with no pain after a week. PT after was optional with my surgeon but I did it and feel it helped me retrain the brain and muscle after. Now I can do anything I want - including weightlifting.

Let me know if you have questions or if I can help in any way. BTW - I wasn't on BS then but my first hip was April 2017 (second hip was the problem child).
 
@SaraK thank you for replying. Yes this sounds an identical problem.
My friend has also had the problem and had the op to release the tendon. She’s now pain free. I’m seeing the same surgeon that treated her who is young and dynamic and has performed 30 of these ops all having huge success, so I’m holding out for his diagnosis and agreement.
Sometimes when I’m just led in bed on my back I’m in pain, like it’s pressing down on the cup and then exercising is ridiculous. I did a body pump class on Monday as I like using light weights for strength and my hip is now in bits. Putting socks on is a pain..in itself! Love the fact you can now do weightlifting! This has been so reassuring to read.

I had 2 steroid injections last year and both gave me complete pain relief, so I’m glad you say that’s a nod towards this op. I’m happy to have it done as I shouldn’t be having pain like this. Such a shame as the first 18 months post LTHR was pain free after the initial recovery. That was in April 2017 too. Sorry to hear you have problems in your other hip. My right hip also has osteoarthritis but still mild (don’t even go there right!)
Anyway thanks for your support x
 
I had both hips done about 7 months apart. I have read that psoas impingement often doesn't rear it's head until months or years after surgery.

When you're lying down, it's stretched out and angry from what you've done during the day. Think of what happens when something hurts - you curl up and contract to protect yourself. If the muscle is doing that and you stretch it? For me, I'm a side sleeper and turn over several times at night. Doing so would activate the psoas and yowser!

Don't be surprised if they want to do blood tests first. I had to do metallurgical and infection to to rule those out before they would proceed.
 
Hello, Minnie. Just caught your thread. First, congrats on your 4 year anniversary! Secondly, I’m sorry you’re dealing with what sounds like IP tendon impingement. As you have found, you are not alone. I, too, had that experience. Very similar symptoms and relief from steroid injection. It will be interesting to hear what this OS has to say with your appointment May 10th. My tendon release was done by an arthroscopic hip specialist, the “key hole” surgery you mentioned. There are basically two procedures: partial release which lengthens the tendon by cutting some of the fibers and a complete release severing the tendon away from the femur. I had the latter. Every doc will have his preference but like Sara said, it was a very quick, straight forward outpatient surgery. Recovery times and PT requirements also could vary according to the doc’s protocols. No PT for me and I was able to get back to all my activities within 2 or so weeks. My thigh was sore from the two tiny incisions but once they were healed, it was just a matter of building up the muscles that I hadn’t been able to use as much because of the tendon pain. It finally gave me the complete healing I had been looking forward to. My fingers and toes are crossed for you!
 
@Hip4life
Thank you for taking the time to explain how you’ve had a similar problem. It definitely sounds like I would benefit from this tendon release surgery, so I’m also fingers and toes crossed!
Really helpful to hear your recovery was swift leading to a pain free life, wonderful.
I’ll definitely be updating here. Thanks again.
 
As @Hip4life mentioned, there are 2 similar procedures - just depends where they are making the cut. I had the lengthening procedure at the cup. So you've heard from success stories on both!
 
Update time!
Good news my friends, the new OS has agreed that I need the tendon release surgery. All the tests pointed to this potential problem but the clear indicator was being pain free after the cortisone injection into the psoas muscle on two occasions.

I’m now on a waiting list which I have no idea how long the wait will be but I’m guessing a long wait especially due to covid but that’s ok. I finally feel that I’m heading in the right direction and I’m not going mad after all!
Thanks for all your support
 
Hope you're wait isn't too long.
I suppose the relief from the injection has already worn off?
Glad to see you get answers...:) :-) (:
 
@Mojo333 yes the last injection was in August, it lasted two months. Although I’m in a different category being a day case, I was told that the current wait for a THR is 2 1/2 years at the moment here in the UK.
I can only hope..
 
Two and a half years for a THR?! Wow, that’s a long time. Hopefully your release procedure will happen much sooner than that. Let us know when you get it scheduled. You know where to find us. :wink: Until then, wishing you all the comfort you need.
@Minnie15
 
I’m so glad to hear you finally have an answer to your pain! That is fantastic. I sure hope they can fit you in sooner rather than later so you can finally get on with your life. Thanks for the update! Wishing you all the best!!
 
Yes, I also hope it will be no more than a few months.... Keep us updated, you know you have a cheerleading squad at the wait.:dancy::egypdance::spin:
 
Thanks cheerleaders :-) I know right, the NHS is in a bit of a pickle over here at the moment. Ridiculous wait time. My friend waited six months for her tendon release surgery but that was pre-covid.

@GrannyC thank you my lovely friend!! I hope you’re ok!
 
Like everyone else, I am pleased that you've found the right surgeon and diagnosis (for me, that was the most difficult part of the process). Yes, that constant pain can wear you down and make you crazy enough but then the doubters can really drive you insane!

I hope your wait wasn't too long. I was pleasantly surprised that, unlike THR, I wasn't required to wait 3 months after injection to have the release surgery. If your wait will be long, consider asking the surgeon about his view on wait time and whether you could do additional injections in the meantime. That wasn't an option for me because my relief was only for a couple of weeks and they wouldn't do them any closer than 3 months.

Keeping my fingers crossed for a quick surgery date!
 
Five years! Wow!
Happy Hip anniversary to any others tuning in today!

Still waiting on my key hole surgery unfortunately and still in fluctuating pain. Surgeon not allowing anymore cortisone injections.
 
First, Happy 5th! We're practically twins - my 5th (for first hip) was just last week.

I hope your other surgery comes soon. Waiting is hard enough but when it's with such pain, it's even more difficult. Sometimes I think a "clean up" surgery like this should be bumped to the head of the line - you've already waited for the THR. Alas, I'm not the one making policy.

Try to enjoy the day and find at least one thing you can do now that you couldn't before your THR!
 

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022

Members online

Back
Top Bottom