THR New hip, new beginning.

@SaraK thank you! Yes I’m grateful for having the THR 5 years ago as the arthritis caused so much pain and discomfort and it took me a while to make the decision to go for it. I’m glad I did. Always very grateful for the support this group gave me.

This second procedure will happen soon and then I’ll be back to being pain free. Just a waiting game but that’s ok.
 
Prayers for a great recovery, I’ll be following as I’m up Monday. Have you been able to sleep? I sure can’t, lol.
 
Hello! It's so good to hear from you. Congrats on your 5 year hipversary. It amazes me how quickly those milestones fly by. I hope your wait for your tenotomy is not too long now since you can no longer receive any more injections. It will be so good to get to the less painful side of life again. Please keep us posted. :yes:
 
:wave:@Minnie15
Happy 5 year Hipversary
:flwrysmile::flwrysmile::flwrysmile::flwrysmile::flwrysmile:
I remember following your recovery as I was right behind you and SaraK.

Hope you get a date for the tendon release procedure soon:fingersx:
 
Hello @Minnie15
I remember you well, along with GrannyC. I was exactly two months behind you, healing at the same time. It is amazing how quickly five years has passed. Best of luck with you’re upcoming procedure. Stay in touch and let us know how you’re doing.
 
Good morning from the UK where I’m pleased to say that yesterday after an 18 month wait, I finally had the hip arthroscopy to do a psoas tendon release.
Had a lot of pain initially after the op and became very dehydrated but resting at home today and managed to get some sleep.

The surgeon said the op was a success and it was very obvious that the tendons were hanging over the hip replacement and pressing down causing me to be in pain. So that’s good news and hopefully after the recovery all will be well!

Hope all my friends here are doing well. Sending my best wishes.
 
:wave:@Minnie15
So glad to hear that you are all done and dusted and this sounds like what was necessary to get this hip happy and get you back to life.
Rest and heal... hope your week is sweet!:flwrysmile:
 
Beginning a New Beginning Again:) :-) (:
It's been quite the journey for you and this hip, but I'm sure your story will be an inspiration for other struggling hippies.:yahoo:
 
Hi Minnie,
So happy to read this surgery should bring an end to the pain. Hopefully you're resting comfortably with your friend ice. :ice:
I hope your recovery is an easy one and you're back to engaging in all you love without the pain soon.
Best Wishes!
@Minnie15
 
Thanks @Layla
Yes finally pain free would be great! A long journey and unfortunate this happened. I have to say I did have to fight my case of why I was still in pain and was determined to get a second opinion, so I’m certainly glad I did and it was great to hear from the surgeon that it was obvious what was causing the pain when he looked with the key hole surgery.

I am indeed resting up and sleeping lots x
 
I recently had a Psoas release and am finding it to be a difficult recovery. Lots of glute and SI joint pain. Mine was a full release.
For anyone that has this surgery, did you have any symptoms like this? I know other muscles need to compensate but this is more than I bargained for at the moment.
Doing tons of PT and it’s been about 5 weeks.
 
Last edited:
@Minnie15 - I'm glad you've been able to get your surgery and get started on recovery. If you're like me, you weren't as active while the psoas was acting up, so expect some atrophy and give it time to rebuild all of the muscles. You'll be using some now that you didn't use as much for a while!

Yes, this seems to be one of the hidden complications from hip replacement - one that the surgeons who replace hips don't always deal with or understand. It took a lot of self-advocacy (and eventually finding my own doctor to deal with the problem) to get mine resolved. The two surgeons were at the same hospital and my hip replacement surgeon mentioned that the other surgeon had a conversation with him about this issue after I saw him (they were at the same hospital but different practices). Hopefully, he'll listen the next time a patient raises the issue!
 
SaraK I had Psoas release 6 weeks ago and am having a tough time particularly with walking. So much pain that moves from glutes to IT band, TFL, SI joint etc. the whole side just feels week and unbalanced.
Can I ask how long it took for you to get over the compensation/atrophy issues?
 
@Dcm1241 - I had a partial release at the groin instead of a full release. There are so many factors that go into each person's recovery - including their activity level before the release and how long they'd been compensating for the issue. Does your doctor have you going to physical therapy or gait training? You might want to check out One Step - it's a remote physical therapy program referenced on our site. One of the great things they do is a gait analysis using your smart phone in your back pocket. It can help them to identify possible things to work on to strengthen that side and rebalance things. Another thing to consider is purchasing a new pair of shoes. Your gait during the time prior to surgery may have caused some wear issues that impact your ability to achieve a normal gait. Massage therapy may also be beneficial to loosen those muscles and IT band.
 

Staff online

  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022

Members online

Back
Top Bottom