Guest viewing is limited

TKR Never Ending Infection

Status
Not open for further replies.
We will be here for you! Keep in touch, and we will do the same! It helps to have people who have been through revisions!:console2:
 
Well....
Went home after removal of prostheses and placement of cement block with antibiotics. Bad mistake --really bad mistake. It took less than one day to realize that the pain was too intense and that, without being able to put ANY
weight on my leg was too much to handle. My daughter came over after work, and it was clear that I couldn't stay home even with help. Moved to rehab facility. Pain, wound drainage, and anemia continue to be probleme. Saw pain doc today and got more pain meds.
Anemia is improving. Hate to have to stay all the way to next surgery, but lesson learned.
 
@Old Texan, I sympathise with you. I've been in the same situation. I had my knee removed 6 months ago and have got an cement spacer in place that was loaded with antibiotics. They didn't find an infection with me but reckon I had a foreign body reaction. I was in a lot of pain afterwards and haven't been able to fully weight bear since. I should be having a new knee implant in a weeks time. I've had an imobiliser brace since day 1. I use a wheelchair to get about outside and 2 crutches inside.

You have to take each day as it comes. Try and keep your spirits up, I know it is hard, especially if you are in a rehab facility.
 
Hang in there Old Texan. We are all here for you to support you in any way we can. I will keep you in my prayers. (((Hugs)))
 
@busylizzie
Did the pain ever subside while the concrete spacer was in, or are you really taking pain meds?

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk
 
@Old Texan,
I have been looking for an update, so glad to see you posting, and so sorry to hear you are going through a two stage revision.
Hope you start getting around well, and your pain is under control so you can go home. Prayers for your healing, and that the care your receive is excellent.
You have wonderful support with @busylizzie and @RestAssured who have been through this.
I have only had a revision but will be here to support you as best I can.
 
@Old Texan,

It is hard to deal with the issue of infection. On top of all that, you are dealing with a cement spacer that is not meant to bear much weight. I know this is a lot to handle, but when you are feeling down, a good cry is beneficial! Then, find a comedy, rent a comedy or read something funny to get "nature's endorphins" kicking in, to give you that sense of feeling good again!

You CAN overcome this "speed bump" in your road of life and grow to be stronger because of it! I promise it is true; I am living proof! :happydance:
 
@Old Texan I have had pain and using 2 crutches for the last 4 years. It took 18 months before I got the original knee replacement - thats the NHS for you. The pain didn't stop then. Since the knee was removed 6 months ago I was on the Fentanyl patch for pain relief for the first 4 months. I had side effects from it and decided then to wean myself off it. Yes I'm still in pain but not as much as the initial months. The consultant said 6 months ago that I should be able to fully weight bear on my left leg but this has never happened. The most I can do on a good day is 2 steps before the pain stops me. I have trouble with oral pain meds but have managed with Tramadol and Paracetamol (Tylenol) at night only since stopping the Fentanyl.

My spacer is loose now and that contributes to the pain. If I lay still in a certain position I can be pain free.

Have you been given a time frame for when they are going to replace the knee? I know it will be subject to the infection clearing. I was originally told 6 to 12 weeks, probably at the 12 week mark. But.... I'm now at 26 weeks and the op is another week off. They have been trying to figure out what was happening inside my knee as no infection was ever found.

The IV antibiotics certainly made me feel yucky and I only had them for 2 weeks. I've certainly had my ups and downs mainly when the kept changing the time frame. It is hard at the time as Rest Assured has said. I think you do get stronger because of it. This forum really helps. Vent as much as you like. I have had good support at home but no one knows what it is like unless you have been through it yourself. I don't think I could have managed if I lived alone, certainly in the early stages.

As Rest Assured said you CAN overcome it and have a brighter future. We are here for you.
 
The plan is for me to have the IV antibiotics and the antibiotics in the concrete block. I should be ready for the new TKR the week after July 4. I did have an infection, and most recent tests have shown no new bacterial growth. I am concerned that, once again, there is one little spot along the suture line that doesn't want to heal. That's where my problem started.
My other concern is getting my employer to discuss options for income while I am out. I do have options, but until I get the paperwork done, nothing will be coming in. But today in US is a holiday. Will resume my efforts tomorrow. Thank you all for relating your experiences and also for your prayers and kind words of encouragement.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk
 
Just hanging out at rehab facility. Ok as long as I can get my pain meds on time. I get therapy twice daily. I can tell that my arms are getting stronger. Finally was able to speak to employer, just need to get forms filled out. Will work on this next week. So, best case is here for 4 more weeks, then Re-do TKR. See OS on the 10th. Still have sutures in and today is 14th day. I have asked nurses about removing sutures, but they're dodgy on this subject. So, just resigned for now. Very grateful that my daughter is able to come and help me take care of business (like tax sticker on car and paying rent). It is still the little things.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk
 
It must be very difficult going thru what you are. I am glad your rehab place sounds pretty good. Also good your daughter helped you take care of some things. Will be watching out for you!
 
Hope your weekend went well, glad your daughter is there to help.
 
Hi @Old Texan - saw your post on @Nana moon 27 's thread, and thought I would pop by to see what you were up to. Oh my goodness - what a lot has been going on for you. I am so sorry that you have this infection and revision to deal with, and that you are in pain.
It must be really soul destroying and disappointing to have to go through all this, and you must feel that your body has let you down, big time.
Well I am afraid I have no experience to draw on to help you, other than my TKR. But what I can do is drop by and see how you are doing. You are always welcome to pop in on my thread, and I know Nana Moons is pretty much an open house! There's not too much 'knee talk' these days on there - but there are other important things to chat over such as what shoes we can wear, and how many lbs we need to lose - and they are good to take your mind off things!
I'm glad you have your daughter to help out with things for you - what would we do without them?
Anyway, I hope that by the time you read this you will have had a 'not too bad' night's sleep.
Take care
ChrisXX

PS - Love the avatar ..... I can so relate!
 
You were also right I am so very lucky to have my daughter help out during this time. Her husband is also very nice and I am grateful for him as well. I remain at the rehab facility and this is where I belong. I cannot stand up by myself and I fear trying to walk even with the walker and assistance because there is so much pain. I do have to push to make sure I get adequate pain medication. I also need 2 advocate for myself in therapy. It seems that it is difficult for the therapist to understand that, as long as the concrete spacer is in, my pain will not greatly improve. I am getting stronger in my upper body and in my other leg. Thank you all for your encouragement. I try to do the best I can to get better and stronger each day. Here is hoping that everyone has a restful night and a wonderful day.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk
 
Glad to hear you had a great day, sounds like as long as you stay on top of the staff you are doing OK. I wish you did not have to advocate do much for your self, but am glad you are.
Sending healing thoughts your way, as you move forward to the revision.
Keep us posted.
:flwrysmile:
 
Saw infectious disease doc today. He isn't worried about the area along the incision line that isn't healing, but made some revisions in antibiotics and added a topical med. He said that we will know more when the x ray is done next week and I see my surgeon. He thinks that everything is on track. My therapists seem to be either more understanding, or at least understand that that there are things that I will refuse to do. Better, but still just so much pain. Hope everyone is having a restful and pain free night. Have a good weekend :-)

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk
 
OS today. X ray shows that the concrete spacer is scooching forward a bit. Not sure why, but does appear to be well anchored in the tibia. X ray also shows no area of abscess or infection. Doc is worried about area along incision line that is not coming together and healing like it should. Doc will not play with this; this is where I came in after 1st TKR. I will see a plastic surgeon next Tuesday. Surgery for next TKR scheduled for July 10. But this won't get done if my incision isn't completely healed and dry. Also, they are taking labs that show a lot of inflammation--those have to go down, too. Not much they can do for the pain. All I can really do is work with the therapists to strengthen my arms and other leg. Will have to stay here until 2nd surgery. Can't stand without help, and trying to walk with walker is just out for now. Keeping positive as much as possible.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk
 
Good to hear from you, hope the wound area heals with the present treatment.
Have they taken a sample from there?
Keep us posted on how you are doing, and keep telling the PT's NO! when they push too hard.
 
They didn't take a sample. It is just kind of like when you have a scab that gets wet. This is on the surface of the skin, so a culture would show lots of critters, but stuff that we all have on the surface of the skin. I think that what my OS wants the plastic surgeon to do is to cut away the skin that is not healing and Re-close the suture line. Whatever. I will know soon what the plastic surgeon wants to do. I watch your thread and I want you to know that I am glad that you seem to be doing better. Hope you continue to improve and feel better. Thank you for your encouragement.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022

Members online

Back
Top Bottom