Guest viewing is limited

TKR Never Ending Infection

Status
Not open for further replies.
Slept most of the night last night without the hydrocodone! (Got up to go to BR twice, I think). Still spending time elevating and icing, but walking around the apartment complex (I have a little square around the swimming pool, and another larger square around the 4 buildings that make up my little block, so I can just go home if I start to hurt). Learning that I don't have to avoid activities that I avoided before surgery because EVERYTHING was just so painful. Trying to balance rest, elevate, ice with gaining strength and endurance. Walk around house without cane most of the time -and beginning to walk less like a penguin. (But I have to really take my time and think-stride, heel, toe, etc.). Getting back into the routine of cleaning my own house (I don't have the housecleaners scheduled to return and will see how that goes!). Leg is moving better and I am beginning to be able to move it toward crossing at the knee. I am trying to get back to a normal level of activity before I return to work, but also trying to remember to take time to rest and heal-I do have some time to allow. It will not be a disaster if I can't return to work to full status the week after next. :SUNsmile:
 
It sounds like you are doing great! You are making great progress to be able to sleep all night without the hydrocodone. Don't try to do too much, too soon. It sounds like you have figured out how much you are able to do without having big setbacks. Keep up the good work! Keep posting on your recovery.
 
OK, up again tonight. I went to bed at 11 and did start to doze off a couple of times, but just couldn't get comfortable. Got up at about 1am and took a Hydrocodone, hands started itching, so now I have taken a Benadryl. Trying to read and be generally bored enough to go to sleep. Sleep was a problem before surgery, and I was working up to the evening before. At least I don't have to work for awhile again yet. Maybe tried walking too much without my cane today, knee is stiff tonight. :gaah:
 
You are planning to go back to work very soon. I couldn't have done it. Be sure you are ready before you go back
 
We take one step forward, then two steps back. The joys of TKR. Hope you are able to sleep tonight.
 
Taking a day off today from exercise, practice walking properly, endurance, flexion and extension. The weather has been cool and clammy and rainy, and I have been stiff and tired. Spent most of today in bed with my leg iced and properly elevated (toes above nose!). Watched quiet BBC dramas, napping in between. I do feel better! I will need to remember to take some significant time to just shut down and rest, especially after I begin to return to work. (Here is where the smiley was supposed to go).... :mcoffee:
 
Cold (for Texas in April) and raining all day today...so another lazy day for me. My cat was with me yesterday, but she is clearly disgusted with my sloth today! However, I do have more energy and am not as still as I was yesterday, but it is nice to have another rainy day of mostly rest. Reading posts here on bonesmart, and still learning more every day. I can't thank everyone enough for sharing their experiences here in this forum.
 
Sounds like you're moving along nicely.
 
Dr. today -everything looks good except for a pesky little area where the incision hasn't healed yet right over the knee. Outpatient PT starts tomorrow and I go back to work next Monday. Still need to work on strength and endurance, but already I am able to move about so much better than before surgery. I am so glad that I had this surgery done. :thumb:
 
It sounds like you are doing really well. I understand the strength and endurance issues. After being inactive for 8 years with bad knees, I have very weak leg muscles. I get jelly legs doing the least little thing at p/t. Good luck with your p/t. Hope you get a good one like I did. He believes the same things BoneSmart does. Lucky for me.
 
Going back to work tomorrow -I am ready -have caught up with all of my tv shows and have gone to the Swedish dramas :what:. I am ready. Will need to keep up with wound care because I have two places along incision line that don't want to heal, but no infection and they look like they are resolving. I am so glad that I had this surgery. Finally sleeping through the night -added Melatonin, then watch old Miss Marple movies -I get through about 30 minutes of those and am ready to doze right off! Haven't needed the hydrocodone for over a week now. I can see being able to stop the Tramadol soon -I am only taking twice a day now and forget about it in between times (I have set up med minders for morning and night). Taking Neurontin-mostly to help with pain in opposite hip -which will need to be replaced eventually. I can't believe that I finally found something to help with the hip pain. Still need to work on gait -I walk fine with the cane, but still very much like a toddler without it. I hope to continue to improve, but I am already to do so much more than I could before surgery. I am so grateful for this forum -it has helped me to slow myself down and let my knee heal at its own pace. Will continue to read this forum for further guidance.
 
I'm happy to hear that you feel well enough to go back to work tomorrow. Isn't it wonderful to not have that bone on bone pain. I am ready to get my other knee replaced and be done with this. Hope tomorrow is pain free for you. Good luck!
 
Well... two weeks back at work at just over 8 weeks out of surgery. Lessons learned. It doesn't hurt to stand up from my desk. IT DOESN'T HURT!!! However, if I do it 50 times, it swells up like a balloon and then it hurts. Walking, standing, stairs, all don't hurt. However, I do not recommend that you sit on a soft low chair or a bean bag unless you have a really, really, good plan for getting up. Not using the hydrocodone at all. Tramadol only occasionally. Still taking Neurontin because it really does help with hip pain. Starting to walk better when I practice at home (standing up straight and lengthening my gain helps), but I do use the cane when I am out. Still working on two wounds along the incision line that don't want to heal, but otherwise, you can barely see the incision. ( I found out these are called dehisced wounds). All in all, it is going well. I just have to balance activity with rest and elevation. I was barely moving before surgery, so now is not yet a good time for spinning classes or marathon running. Small victories still rule the day. :good-bad:
 
@Old Texan, Congratulations on doing so well! Standing in one spot was torture before surgery. Tonight my husband and I stood in the backyard visiting with neighbors over the fence and I had no pain. The new knee is great, now on to the next one.
 
Having my own little pity party today and thought I would share.... Thursday I was in and out of the court house (for my job) and did a lot of walking and driving. Then, someone parked his beast of a vehicle (it is always a man) too close to my small car, and I had to bend my knee at an awkward angle to get into my car. :hairpulling: So my knee was quite swollen by the evening, and I had paperwork to do until about 7pm. Then I went to bed and elevated my leg. Still quite swollen Friday morning. Also pain on the inside of my knee and hard to bend. No pain walking or standing, though. Had to go into the office and try to catch up on paperwork, so more swelling -I tried to elevate my knee at work, but was just awkward and painful. Since I came home last night, I elevated my knee, pulled out the ice packs, the hydrocodone, and even the hated TED hose. Swelling is much better, but heavens! The inside of my knee still hurts when I bend it (or if I'm not paying attention and move it sideways) -but the bulk of the swelling is at my ankle. I had to get a few things at the grocery, and sign my annual lease, but came right back to ice and elevation. (Resting from my TED hose just now). I will call OS Monday if it is not much improved (and it is already significantly improved), but I suspect that this is a soft tissue issue and not a problem with the knee or any of the shiny new parts. There is no fever, and I am checking for signs of clot or infection, but there are none. This is a whining and complaining post. I was starting to make plans to build strength and endurance, and hoping to be able to do things like join my middle aged neighbors to walk the sidewalk around the park, go to the zoo, the arboretum, etc. Now I have to call the OS's PA (who is very nice), and explain that I've messed up a bit and will probably need more hydrocodone. :banghead: They will want me to come in so that they can look at it, too.

But I am not really upset yet; I have read similar situations--and much worse- from others in this forum, and all have survived so far. I am also aware that I do not have nearly as much pain (even when the hydrocodone wears off) as I did before surgery. One of my co-workers tried to talk me out of the surgery. I remember tossing out a reply that I would feel better if they cut my leg off -then later reflecting that that was closer to the truth than I wanted to admit. Does anyone have any advice or cautions?
 
[Bonesmart.org] Never Ending Infection
@Old Texan, you are doing too much too soon, thus the swelling. You are just a tad over two months post op----still very early in recovery. Would be better if you were still home giving that knee lots of TLC---elevating and icing.

This recovery takes a full 12 months and longer for some. You are 1/6 of the way down recovery road---which means you still have a long way to go. Please go back to page 1 of your thread and read or re-read all the articles that skigirl left you. I think by doing so you'll find the answers to your current questions.

Take care and keep us posted. We care.
 
Sometimes when we overdo, it takes more than one day to recover. I haven't needed Tylenol all week and my daily life has seemed pretty normal. Today I walked quite a bit in a few antique stores and out to lunch. My knee is swollen now. Icing and elevating and I haven't iced for about 10 days. Unfortunately, once you overdo, you pay the price. Hope your knee is much better by Monday so you don't have to go to your o/s. Keep the ice handy and your knee in the standard TKR position (toes above nose!). Good luck.
 
@bottomshollow
Thanks, but here in US (and especially in Texas), we''re supposed to be tough. Long absences aren't allowed. And, I was getting bored

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk
 
Well, as long as you understand that "being tough" is what is causing this and that you could possibly end up with chronic tendonitis as a result, it's pretty much up to you.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022

Members online

Back
Top Bottom