TKR Never Ending Infection

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hope the plastic surgeon can help, they are the best for sutures and will bring your skin back together.
Wishing you all the best, I know you have a bit of a wait ahead until they can finish your revision.
Thanks for you support too!
 
We are going through so much. Thank you for your support. Hopefully the plastic surgeon will sort you out and your op will go ahead.
 
Well, saw the plastic surgeon today and am more confused than ever. At first, he said what I expected, that he would take some muscle and tissue from the back of my calf and use that to close the incision so that it will heal. He then said that it would take 3 to 4 months to heal before my OS could go back in and redo the TKR. When I exclaimed and started asking questions, he reminded me that I could loose my leg. Then he seemed to back off that, and said that after surgery, I would have a drain from my calf if that was necessary to take tissue from there. He said that I would also have a drain from my knee that the OS would place, and I would be in the hospital for two weeks. His assistant came in and said that she will coordinate with OS for surgery date.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk
 
So now, have lots of questions. Work? Will I have to miss an additional 3 to 4 months? I would have to go home. Will the concrete spacer be adjusted or something so that I am not in screaming pain when I have to stand or walk? I guess I will find out. Otherwise, all I can really do is just make it through one day at a time.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk
 
I wish I had some answers for you, maybe a second opinion from another plastic surgeon?
:console2:
@busylizzie , had a spacer, and may be able to answer questions about spacers.
 
NOW, the insurance company has decided that I have to leave the rehab facility by the 29th. I talked to my PT today about bracing and other things to help me walk with the spacer. MU biggest fear is that I will further damage the spacer. I also need to figure out how to walk without being in screaming pain. I asked her to start on Monday, so I have the weekend to wrap my head around the idea. I can't find any literature about walking with these spacers. The facility is going to contact my surgeon to see if I can go to the hospital by then;my 6 weeks will be done by then. But the docs have made it pretty clear that they don't want to do any surgery until after July 4th. Any ideas about walking with the spacer that apparently scooches forward would be appreciated. Everyone have a good day or night and be well and pain free. :-(

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk
 
@busylizzie had a spacer, I think she used a wheel chair.
Looks like you will have a little over a week at home. PT is going to have to work with you to figure something out until you can have the second stage done. Depending on your home layout a manual wheel chair or a power chair may work for you. Insurance should rent one for that time period.
All these challenges must be so frustrating :hairpulling:, what is the insurance company thinking, you are suddenly going to have this incredible recovery in the next ten days, and be dancing about with a spacer.:headbang:
Post when ever you have a chance we are here to support you!:friends:
 
My apartment is old and small. 30" doorways. I can barely get through with my walker. I don't have to go far, maybe 10 feet to the bathroom and 50 feet to the kitchen. But I have to back into the bathroom and that is very scary.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk
 
Hi @Old Texan, I cannot imagine what you are going through but I am so sorry that you have to deal with it. Do you think a second opinion fro another plastic surgeon would be a good idea? This is not something you want to mess around with. Has the plastic surgeon you saw dealt with this type of surgery before? I would recommend researching a bit to ensure you get the best results.

I remember when i had my back infection when my first son was born. I saw so many doctors and specialists and when by OBGyn came in to tell me that the Infectious Disease doctor was coming in I broke down. I had never heard of such a doctor. They never did give me a name of the infection but he was really good and sorted me out quickly.

You have a lot on your plate right now with your TKR issue, your infection, your spacer and your work. It is wonderful that your daughter and husband are there to help you. We are all here to help you through it emotionally as well. :)

Please take care of yourself and keep us posted as you get updates.
 
But I have to back into the bathroom and that is very scary.
That would worry me too. Can you use a bed side commode? Your insurance may pay for one if you get it through the nursing home, have them check for you.
Work closely with the social worker and the threrapists, they should be able to help you sort all of this out.
Take good care sending prayers your way,
 
What are they thinking? Yes a bedside commode is good. I don't know how hard it is for you to even get up. I would keep a cooler in my bedroom with ice and food. Close by. Also I would use Depends if I needed them and was afraid I wouldn't make it to any commode! My heart feels for you that you have to go thru this! Xoxo
 
That would worry me too. Can you use a bed side commode? Your insurance may pay for one if you get it through the nursing home, have them check for you.
Work closely with the social worker and the threrapists, they should be able to help you sort all of this out.
Take good care sending prayers your way,
in the hospital at night I didn't want to cause any commotion to take a pee so I grabbed the urine bottle and prepared to sit over the side of the bed. no sooner had I started to carefully throw my knees over the side that alarms blared and nurses came running.
they had the bed alarmed!
so much for the quiet I was trying to maintain. after that I was barely able to get a trickle out.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
 
Yes, I had a bed alarm in the hospital, too. Also, my beautiful hospital gown and socks were yellow. That was the code for fall risk.
My problems with the bedside commode are (1) they are too short--it would be hard and painful to use, and (2) who's going to empty that thing and when? I will look for and at every piece of equipment that I can, and I am stronger, so I might have better success. I will also ask about better pain management. But I will be hoping and praying that I don't actually have to go home--either stay here or go to the hospital. Thank you all for your prayers, advice, and well wishes. :-)

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk
 
There is also a bit of irony here-- I am very good at making recommendations about home modifications for people with a variety of disabilities and deformities.. I have worked with this population my whole adult life. But working out how to make my home work for me.....

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk
 
@Old Texan , my tag system doesn't seem to be working for all posts. I've just found you. Having a spacer isn't good to live with. Have you got good upper body strength? I used two crutches all the time taking considerable weight on them. I had trouble standing let alone wa!king without the crutches. I wore a full length immobilizer brace all the time with four metal stays down the sides. My balance was compromised and I constantly had to stabalise myself. The only time I sat with my leg down was going to the loo. I couldn't use a raised toilet, only a standard height one. I did find a dual height walker which was useful for getting up and down from sitting. I struggled to use a commode but found a female urinal bottle handy at night. I found that the handle was OK for me to hold to take it to empty even using my crutches at the same time.

The rest of the time my leg was supported in front of me. My heels got very sore and I could only sleep on my back. I got a special pressure relieving mattress from the district nurses in the Uk. I didn't cook or do housework at all the time the spacer was in. Outside the house I used a self propelling wheelchair with a leg raiser. It was quite narrow and went through most doors easily. In the house it was difficult to use as it was like a long vehicle and I was unable to get very close to anything. I did, however use it to sit to the table whenever we had visitors at mealtimes

I'll continue this when I think of more aids I used. In the meantime fire away any questions that you have. It does get better at the next stage even though you think that you will never get .there
 
I sat and cried for awhile yesterday, thinking about how much pain I would be in and how afraid I am about falling or other things. Then I called my insurer, asked for the decision in writing so that I could appeal it. I explained that there was no way I would make it at home. The decision is being reviewed, and I have explained that I want to be contacted if further information is needed.
@buzylizzie thank you for your information; I was thinking that maybe I could use a small wheelchair that I keep in the hallway, along with other assorted devices. I have been working on upper body strength and endurance, my non-TKR leg, and on keeping my left hip and ankle strong and flexible. I have made a lot of improvement. I still plan to work with PT and OT on walking and bracing. I guess we will see.
Will post more as I learn more.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk
 
how much pain I would be in and how afraid I am about falling or other things.
This has been my fear for you, I hope the insurance company comes to their senses and realizes sending you home is penny wise and pound foolish.
I hope they realize you are in the best place for you, and you can stay until the second stage of your revision.
Thanks for keeping us updated,
 
Ok, it looks like OS and plastic surgeons are ready for the 10th. I don't know what they will be able to do or if I will need more than one surgery, but at least there is progress. Will stay here until then. Working on walking with a walker and a sturdier brace. Knee not painful except during transfer. Scary, and I have to remember all the steps. Even took a few backward steps today. So...some optimism today. Holding my breath and hoping nothing delays surgery.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022

Members online

Back
Top Bottom