Guest viewing is limited

TKR Never Ending Infection

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi TEX, I know finding the right position to sit and sleep is the only way I could make it though the night. Now I am 12 weeks out and though not totally healed can always get comfortable and having no pain problems. You will get there soon its just time and effort and you will succeed. bill
 
Knee is stiff and hard, but walking and bearing weight is getting better. I am walking to the mailbox in the afternoons, and it does feel good to get outside. The weather has been warm in the afternoon. Bending the knee is still hard and painful - I have trouble sitting at my desk for very long. I see the clinic tomorrow morning. I have had trouble with the Coumadin levels. I checked all my supplements and meal replacement stuff for hidden Vitamin K, but didn't find any. I have doubled the dose of Coumadin, but no change in levels. My home health nurse said that sometimes the Centrum Silver has Vitamin K -I didn't think anything about it at the time, as I buy whatever multivitamin is on sale. However, I checked my multivitamin, and sure enough, it is the generic version of Centrum Silver and it does have Vitamin K!:hairpulling: Didn't take the multivitamin today and won't tomorrow -and will see if it makes a difference. Should see PT today. He is very nice and is gentle, but I am always glad when PT is finished. My cat, however, is still in love with the PT.
 
I've taken Coumadin or a generic alternative for about ten years. I get my blood checked monthly and I swear you can just never tell what the levels are going to be. Yes, Vitamin K can change your numbers, but there are any number of other things that can as well. Are you eating differently now then you were immediately after surgery? That can affect things. I think (just my opinion) activity levels and sleep patterns can affect it as well. My levels were very constant in the years before my LTKR surgery, which was in September 2013, but since, they have been totally out of whack. And my diet is about the same as it has been for years. I guess what I am saying is, even after you change multivitamins, don't be surprised if your numbers are still all over the board.
 
Doctor visit today -all is well. Just took me off of the Coumadin and told me to take a regular aspirin every day. I took my walker to the appointment, and wished that I had just used my cane. In and out of the car is fine, and driving went well (I live only about 10 minutes from the clinic). But I am just slow with the walker and it seems heavy and clunky. The only thing that I think I am hesitant with is getting up and down my one step into my apartment (I do curbs just fine). I also seem to have a limit of about 3 hours out of bed, then I start having pain, swelling, stiffness -regardless of what pain meds I have taken and when. So, I am just going to go with the flow and sleep on and off, continue to rest, ice, elevate, and take pain meds. Doc said no hurry to stop hydrocodone, just take as long as needed. Feels good to walk -walked to dumpster to take trash out-I wouldn't take that walk round-trip before surgery without a lot of pain. My daughter is coming Friday to help with errands -grocery shopping and stuff, so I am very glad for that. Now I am going to try to get another hour or so of sleep.
 
Doctor visit today -all is well. Just took me off of the Coumadin and told me to take a regular aspirin every day. I took my walker to the appointment, and wished that I had just used my cane. In and out of the car is fine, and driving went well (I live only about 10 minutes from the clinic). But I am just slow with the walker and it seems heavy and clunky. The only thing that I think I am hesitant with is getting up and down my one step into my apartment (I do curbs just fine). I also seem to have a limit of about 3 hours out of bed, then I start having pain, swelling, stiffness -regardless of what pain meds I have taken and when. So, I am just going to go with the flow and sleep on and off, continue to rest, ice, elevate, and take pain meds. Doc said no hurry to stop hydrocodone, just take as long as needed. Feels good to walk -walked to dumpster to take trash out-I wouldn't take that walk round-trip before surgery without a lot of pain. My daughter is coming Friday to help with errands -grocery shopping and stuff, so I am very glad for that. Now I am going to try to get another hour or so of sleep
 
Doing well, although sleep is evading me again. I realized that I really expected rapid progress once I got out of the hospital. I didn't have as much pain after surgery, and I was able to walk, with the walker, well. But once I left the hospital, I had to deal with pain, and was not able to do things and progress easily. Earlier this week, I thought that being out of work for 6 weeks was just wildly optimistic. But, I am making progress, and continue to be able to do things that I couldn't do before surgery without a lot of pain -or that I would avoid altogether. So, still some pain, but not intolerable. I have also realized that I am guarding my knee and resisting bending or straightening the knee. Straightening, especially, is frightening for me because I am afraid that the joint will fail. So, I need to change my mindset and also to begin to break old habits (like using a cane, and also holding that cane in my left hand). I walk like a penguin without the cane, but am doing well without the walker. Heading back to bed now!
 
The new joint is actually very strong. The soft tissues may protest as you heal. You're right, that it will take practice to get into a new mindset of using the knee.
 
Hello Old Texan,
You are not even a month out from your surgery so you shouldn't expect so much. This is not an easy recovery. Are you still taking your pain meds? I am about a month further along than you and I still ice and elevate many hours each day. My knee still swells if I am up for a couple of hours at a time. Tonight I cooked a little for dinner and once I would get one thing in the oven, I would go back to the couch and elevate my knee for a few minutes. Put something else on to cook and my husband would finish it up so I could elevate my knee. This all takes time. You will figure out how much you can do without aggravating the knee. I am impatient about the timeline for recovery, too. I thought I would be further along but each week I see a difference for the better. You will, too. As for the stiffness, your knee is probably still swollen. Mine was at that stage. Just continue to ice, elevate and take your meds and the swelling will go down and you will get more ROM. It will come! Continue to post so we know how you are doing.
 
Icing and elevating. I pulled the TED stocking out and put it on -it seems to help, but is uncomfortable. I will try to sleep with it on, and see if I can find a happy medium. Wanted to sleep and stay in bed today, so I did, mostly. I am still taking my pain meds, but I am not anticipating the next dose as much as I had been. I am able to take the hydrocodone every 5 to 6 hours. Doc says that it is ok to start transitioning over to Tramadol when I feel that I am ready, but I do hesitate because I didn't feel that the Tramadol was very effective before surgery. Still, I need to be able to be off of the narcotic during the day before I can return to work, as I drive about half of my day. Days and nights are mixed up, but trying to work on that -but sleep comes first! Tried Benadryl at night between doses of pain meds, but this does not seem to help with sleep. I am proud of being able to get in and out of the shower now without holding on to stuff. I am still sitting on elevated surfaces -I took my daughter to a restaurant last Friday and realized that the chair was a normal height. I got up OK, but had my daughter put her weight on her side of the table so I didn't flip it when I got up! (Little things, it is always the little things!). I am doing OK getting on and off hard surfaces, but I still have double cushions that I sit on when on my sofa. (New goal...). Onward! I want to try to vacuum tomorrow -that was a task that was hard and painful before surgery. Continued thanks to all who post on this forum! :thankyou:
 
@Old Texan, I started vacuuming at 4 or 5 weeks. Just did the family room where we spend most of the time. What I didn't see on a daily basis, I didn't worry about. Giving up naps during the day was hard for me. The first couple of weeks I slept day and night with no problem. From week 3 on, I couldn't sleep at night if I took naps during the day. You are weaning yourself off of hydrocodone the same way I did. I started extending the time and then started cutting them in half. That took a little experimenting. I still take half of a hydrocodone and 1 extra strength Tylenol at bedtime if I have any pain after p/t. I didn't care for the TED hose either. The p/t gave me something that reminds me of TEDs but it only goes over the knee, a little above and below the knee. It really helps and it is a lot easier to get on. It seems like someone mentioned something like it on another thread that they bought at a drugstore. I hope you are able to get your days and nights straightened out!

Cindy
 
Sounds like you are on the mend. It does seem to take forever, doesn't it? Although your knee is still really fresh! My TKR was December 11, 2013 and I'm still having problems. Don't let that scare you though, not everyone has the same type of difficulties. As I think you know (because you commented on my recovery thread) I had an MUA not even a week ago. It has made some things better, but I've got new swelling now.
It's hard to be patient because we just want to be able to go on with our lives as if nothing happened.....but something DID happen. And it's a big thing! But not impossible to overcome and recover from!! Keep up the good work!!
 
Old Texan , sounds as if your are doing very well. Its great to be gentle with the new joint but they are very stable and tough. Its the soft tissue and boney areas that needs to be handled with care. If you feel that your knee is too tight and ROM is lower than you would like , rest, ice and elevate non stop for 2 -3 days. The internal swelling is very deceptive. And it doesnt take too much for it to occur. keep up the great work . !!
 
Sounds as if you're doing well. Hope your progress continues.
 
@Old Texan

Welcome to the other side. It sounds like you are doing great.

I can tell that the pain is from my incision, and I am actually able to stand and bear weight better than before surgery.

Isn't it wonderful being able to put weight on your new knee? I was surprised even though I read others posts saying they could put more weight on the knee then before surgery. It is somthing you have to experience yourself.

Small victories, but very encouraging. Rest, ice, elevation and regular pain meds are the rule, still.

Small victories add up to large successes. Keep up the good work and find the balance between too much and not enough. It is hard to do but once you find it you will feel better. Good luck with your recovery.
 
You might find the tramadol works fine since this is a different pain than the pre-surgery bone on bone pain. It sometimes takes some experimenting.
 
Kneeper, you are right that this is a different pain. I can tell that it is mostly stiffness and swelling, and some pulling at the incision site. I am beginning to transition to the Tramadol during the day hours when I would be at work.
One thing that I didn't anticipate, but should have, is that the time that I can sit at a desk is limited, just like sitting in a car and driving. Getting better, though!
I am actually preparing meals for myself now that I actually have to use ingredients, combine, and cook! Haven't vacuumed yet, but have gathered my laundry to do.
Sleep is still elusive-I just can't get comfortable. I must do something wrong with my knee when I finally do drop off-even with pillows to prop and stop-because I wake up in some considerable pain.
Still, I do think that I will be ready to return to work in 2 weeks -but I am not going to push it!
:SUNsmile:
 
I am over 3 months out and I'm still having problems getting comfortable in bed. I'm a side sleeper and if I sleep with my surgery leg down it aches after just a little while. If I sleep with my surgery leg up it feels like it weighs 100 lbs on top of my other leg. I end up sleeping on my back with a large wedge. I'm very unhappy about all that mess. Don't be in too big of a rush to get back to work. I went back at 7 weeks but I have a desk job and that was really hard on me - sitting too much. I have since retired. My knee was one of the several reasons I decided to retire a couple of years earlier than I had planned. Keep up the good work.
I too am a Texan!
 
Made it through week 4 and beginning week 5. I am starting to feel somewhat normal again. Made it through the grocery store by myself without a lot of pain and without dragging my leg behind me! Starting to be able to take just the Tramadol for pain, although I do take the Hydrocodone in the middle of the night. I must be doing something with my leg that hurts! I do see a possibility for returning to work in 2 weeks. PT is worried about my leg not straightening out without a lot of pain. He recommended that I prop it straight on my ottoman, and let gravity pull the knee down. Sounds simple, right? But really starts to burn within just one minute! I am doing this a few times a day when I have it iced. This week: working on sitting at my desk (not doing work, playing angry birds and catching up with TV shows that I can only access via computer). Also, I would like to be able to get up from my sofa without using the elevated cushioning. That will take some time. Getting up like a normal person seems foreign. Optimistic this week!
 
@Old Texan, I am having a hard time getting my knee straightened out, too. I go in to p/t and it is at 4 and by the end I am at 1. My right knee reared its ugly head over the weekend. Terrible pain with bone on bone. For some reason it won't straighten as much as it did last week. P/t measured it today and it is at 17 degrees. UGH! He told me I need to really work on that before I have that one replaced because it will be even harder to straighten after surgery. I have the second TKR scheduled for October but now I think I will probably have to move it up. Right knee pain is terrible. As for letting gravity pull your knee down, do what you can. My doc told me to do it for 20 minutes at a time, twice each day since surgery. Haha! Not realistic. Now I try to do it during commercials and rest during the tv shows at night. You sound like you are doing fantastic if you think you are going to be ready to go back to work in 2 weeks. Your optimism plays a big part in recovery. Keep up the good work!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022

Members online

Back
Top Bottom