Guest viewing is limited

TKR Never Ending Infection

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am glad you are not in pain and that you are progressing. It was good to see an update from you - I was wondering how you were! Fingers crossed for the 10th!
 
@Old Texan, I haven't heard from you for a while. Are you OK? Let us know how you are going on. Best wishes busylizzie
 
Old Texan,
Just stopping by to see how you are doing? Bring us up to date when you have a chance.
Hope all is well and you are on your way to your next surgery.
 
Sorry I haven't posted and haven't been reading your threads. On the third, I woke up and felt fine. But by about 9 o'clock, I started shivering. I was afraid I had a fever, but I ask for the air conditioning to be turned down. Soon after that, I started throwing up. I had a high fever, so I was sent to the ER. I was septic and has been getting very strong antibiotics and have had a lots of lab work. So they're working on infection, anemia, and I have low sodium for some strange reason. I have fluid restriction and there has been the hardest part so far. I think the plan now is to use Thursday as an evaluation surgery and clean out of my knee. Then on Monday, they will do the surgery and replace the hardware , and the plastic surgeon will close the incision. So, I'm doing okay for now . I have been sleeping alot, and have had a first good argument with the physical therapist. I will catch up with everyone as soon as I can. I hope everyone is doing well and had a very good holiday.:-)
 
Glad to hear from you @Old Texan , sorry to hear about your sepsis, happy they have it under control. Glad you are feeling better and are well enought to proceed with surgery.
Happy you were strong enough to stand up to the PT, remember to stand your ground after your surgery too.
I had low sodium, the fluid restriction is tough, when you are going through surgeries.
Looking forward to your posts after your surgeries,
Sending prayers and positive thoughts your way for an uneventful surgery and recovery,
 
Oh wow - what an awful time you are having! I really feel for you. My thoughts are with you and I hope that this can be resolved quickly as possible!!
 
:console2:Sending healing wishes.
 
Thanks for your reply, still keeping you in my thoughts daily, hoping things get better soon. You are due some good luck!
 
Thank you all for well wishes. I am doing ok, infection seems to be responding to antibiotics. Had two pints of blood yesterday, so will see how that affects anemia. May still have surgery complete on Thursday, less talk of follow up on Monday. Will update when I have more information. Everyone have a really good day.
 
@OldTexan I am so glad that you are responding to the antibiotics. This has been a series of difficult struggles and it's time you had some hope shine through. : ) So, if I understand correctly, your surgery for tomorrow may continue as originally planned before the infection. It won't be evaluative? Either way, my prayers are for healing and comfort for you. Rest. Stop striving. God is able to carry you through. Hugs.
===============•_•===============


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum caloparker4/21/14
 
The plan for Thurs is to replace the knee unless there is a bunch of crud that needs to be cleaned out. The plastic surgeon will then close the incision, possibly cutting away some muscle from the back of the calf to make room to get a good close. I won't know until I wake up. I am hoping that all of these antibiotics have killed whatever bugs tried to take hold in there. As always, thanks to all for prayers and well wishes. Right back at you all!
 
Let's hope that they can put the new knee in tomorrow and the incision can be closed and all the infection has gone. Your recovery can begin again, and you are on the right side. It is hard when you don't have a timescale and your hopes keep being knocked back. I felt so much better mentally when the new knee operation went ahead. We will be here for you to offer all the support you need.
 
Ok, good news:-). I was on surgery for a liking time (about 6 hours). They did put new hardware in and used a plastic spacer that has antibiotics in it. This cause some confusion, as I didn't speak to the ortho doctor last night. The on-call doctor thought they had put a new concrete spacer in and I was very disappointed. But this morning the interns were here bright and early and gave me the good news. Also, the plastic surgeon was able to close my incision without using muscle tissue. My pain is not well control , I am still on fluid restriction, and am totally forbidden to bend my knee. But I can bear weight as tolerated. I don't know how that's going to work, but we'll see. The plastic surgeon will decide when I can leave the hospital. But overall, I'm pretty happy. I am hopeful that this is my last surgery.
 
Do I understand your post that it took six hours for surgery? Wow. You sound wonderful no matter how long it took!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom