TKR Never Ending Infection

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Texan
That's what this feels like, that I just overdid it. I was decreasing and getting rid of pain meds, now it looks like I''ll have to explain why I want more hydrocodone.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk
 
Yes, it can be easy to overdo. At this point possibly better to "under-do" when at all possible. You definitely don't want chronic tendonitis. Can you ice at work?
 
Can't ice at work, but could break most days up so that I can come home and do some work from home, then spend time elevating and icing.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk
 
@bottomshollow
You are right, of course. I was feeling so well and a little cocky. Need to slow it down and take care.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk
 
@Texan
Looks like you were right. I forget that I am not 20 anymore and everything takes longer to heal. Better today, but when I got up and into morning routine, started to swell. Staying home today. Elevate, ice, and TED hose. Can check email and phone messages from here. Spoke to PA--have plan. Much less painful today.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk
 
@Old Texan, I'm glad you are feeling better today. You are fortunate that you have a job with some flexibility. Glad you were able to work from home today so you could ice and elevate. Take care.
 
Well, oops! It appears that the swelling has joined the two dehisced areas that I had healing nicely and is getting infected. Back to the hospital for me--either tomorrow afternoon or sometime Thursday. The OS office will let me know early in am. Hopefully not just such a big deal -will re-open the incision line, clean out any infection, and then close back up. I am, I think, expected to spend a day or two in hospital getting IV antibiotics. Hopefully, just a small glitch in recovery. :sigh:
 
@Old Texan, I was so hoping that everything would be great after resting over the weekend. My prayers for you will be a full and speedy recovery with minimum time in the hospital. You will be back on the road to recovery soon! I'll be looking for your posts to see how you are doing. Good luck!
 
In hospital tonight --surgery tomorrow. Now that I am gowned and captive, ne one's telling anything. They really can't until they open the leg up and see what is what. More tomorrow when I know more. Thanks for prayer and positive thoughts.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk
 
You are in my prayers! Feel better soon.
 
@oldtexan. Sorry to hear about your news. I know this isn't a shoulder replacement forum, (I had 2 hips 1 shoulder and just had a tkr in jan) but my brother just had a reverse shoulder replacement, got infection and today going into new hospital with new dr to clear up infection.
Good luck with your re-opening. Hope everything works out well for you


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
Well, fun today! Surgery this am --left wound open and will return to clean any new stuff that might grow, then close. Looks like shiny new knee parts are Ok. No idea how long I''ll be here. Avoided having central line placed; seems the bug I was brewing can be treated with oral antibiotics. But now, for added fun, we are all in hallway because of tornado warning!

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk
 
@Old Texan, I saw on the news about the bad weather in your part of Texas. We missed the rain in the San Antonio area and we desperately need it. It is good news that the new knee is in good shape and you are able to take oral antibiotics. Hope they kick in quick so the doctor can put you back together and send you home. :flwrysmile:
 
I have discovered that, if I put a pillow by my side and just rest my arm on it, I am really comfortable on my back. Makes no sense at all, but it works and I'm not overthinking it. Back to sleep!

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk
 
Still in hospital. Resident stopped by and said no new bugs contributing to infection. Will need just the one oral antibiotic. But he acted like this was not good news, and hinted at two more surgeries, not just the one that I expected. Good thing my doc stops by in pm. I can ask him to explain.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk
 
Well, I have worst case scenario. Had second surgery to clean out wound. New labs show that infection still there and growing. Will get PIC line so that I can do IV antibiotics at home. Surgery Friday; doc will remove new knee parts, put in cement spacer infused with antibiotics, then close. Will have aggressive infection therapy for next 6 weeks or so, then return to hospital for new knee replacement. Don't have access to the little smiley characters, but Arrrgggghhh!

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk
 
Dear Old Texan,
My heart goes out to you that you have to go through this with an infection, now a spacer, and a wait for the infection to clear then a second implant. I too miss the smileys when I am on the app, frustrating because they can say a 1000 words with just one click.
Lots of us revision folks here, just look for the yellow revision tag near our names to find us.
We are all here to support you through this process.
Wishing you all the best,
 
@Old Texan,

I caught your news on another thread about having an infection in your knee! It doesn't matter what type of infection it is; it is still heartbreaking when it happens! I can tell you that 2 years after having the revision knee put in, I am doing Zumba, Yoga, Yogalates, walking 5K's, did an 18 hole golf tournament for charity, and can be on my knees for exercises. I can do planks, military push-ups, hurdles, swimming, freestyle, backstroke, and breaststroke! I am living again!:happydance: I have never felt better. My weight has gone from 435 down to 255 and counting! I love life, laughing, and finding new challenges. Oh that reminds me, we climbed part way up a mountain, and did rock climbing over Easter! All of this is coming from a person who had her knee split open due to a MRSA infection, was told later that they may have to amputate above the knee because I was losing circulation, to messing up my revision due to overeagerness! The patella started popping out and the PT thought Dr. Maale should remove it! Dr. Maale said "no" because you will walk w a walker the rest of your life!:bolt:So, enter several fabulous Personal Trainer's into my life, that have taught me to trust the knee again! I am doing great now! Have patience, and one day we will hear all about your success story!:loveshwr:
 
Well, knee replacement parts are removed and concrete spacer in. Painful today, sat up on side of bed and cleaned up some with OT. Nothing to do now but go one step at a time. Thank you @RestAssured and @pumpkin. Your kind words are welcome and encouraging.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022

Members online

Back
Top Bottom