TKR Nanners adventure to the other side

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Nanners - I feel your stiffness and soreness. I'm 4 months post RTKR and I also have ostoarthritis in my hands, back, etc. I still take tramadol a couple times a day and I take diclofenac 50 mg 2 times a day for the arthritis. The meds help but certainly don't make the issues go away. I have the arthritis in my right hand among other places. As you can imagine being a typist and even just using this site can cause severe inflammation which leads to pain and stiffness. My doctors have recommended a parrafin dip for my hands have you ever considered it for your feet? You know you when you go for a pedicure and they dip you in the wonderfully warm parrafin? They say it is great for hands and feet, particularly in the winter months when it is so raw and cold to the bone.

Walking is about the only exercise that I do short of my stretching and strengthening I do in the house. I don't measure how far I go I go by how long and generally if I go 20-30 minutes I feel I've gotten a good bit of exercise. I've been doing this for several years now and have managed to keep my weight stable, keep my limbs fairly limber although I am nowhere near as flexible as I used to be - especially since the fusion last summer and this past TKR. The only thing that helps is do keep my hamstrings as loose as possible. If I don't stretch them every day I do it at least every other day and it makes a huge difference. It is a great way to increase your extension as well. I use a belt that has loops and just wrap it around my foot and stretch for a count of 20 on each side and repeat if you are up to it.

In summary, when I am achy pain meds or other anti-inflammatory meds definitely take the edge off.

Be well.

Aileen
 
Thanks all! I think I gave myself a little bit of a MUA. As yesterday my new knee was really sore. Samething happened with my extension one time when hubby was helping me stretch my leg. My Rom is not perfect yet, but I feel its getting there, abit slow, but getting there. Hugs!
 
I have some numbness still on my knee. On the upper part of the knee is still numb and there is a spot in the middle of my knee that is not numb anymore. Well guess what I did? I hit my knee (in the middle of the incision) right where its no longer numb! Ouchy, ouchy, ouchy! I hit it on the corner of a wood chair when I was going to sit down in the chair next to it! It was a bit sore after and I iced it down later and it was fine.

Post made as a warning, don't bump your new knee, it hurts!! LOL
 
Isn't is funny the way the feeling comes back a tiny bit at a time in bits and pieces? I think that my feeling is totally back and then I touch the right side (right knee) and it feels a bit like the very end of the novocaine that the dentist gives. :heehee:
 
I am having so much inflammation going on in my body, and I am quite miserable. Now that I am no longer getting my every 3 month cortisone shots in my knees, I feel like I am swimming in pure inflammation, its even made my new knee sore. Think I might have some bursitis going on too :groan: . And then having the fibro flare too, has just made me ache all over. Am taking pain meds, and they do help some. But the problem is I can only use 3 a day. So I take them morning, noon, and bedtime. I wake up about 6-8 hours after the last dose in pain and have to wait till the morning to take more. I feel like my first dose of the day is not working as I am playing catch up with the pain becuz its about 13 hours after my last dose. I think its time to get back in with my Internal med doc. This pain is getting to be too much, and really affecting my ability to walk. Oh and the arthritis and plantar fasciitis in my feet is not helping either. Sigh!
Sorry for whining, but this is getting old. I was feeling so much better since I got my knee done. I know I could get another cortisone shot, but to be honest I think thats just creating more of a problem. I already have osteopenia and my bones are already damaged, I just think using more shots is just gonna make it all worse. Plus my skin is so thin now, that just playing with Flea, can tear my skin and cause blood blisters. I wish I knew what I could do. Oh well, gonna have to see the doc I guess. Hugs!
 
Awwwwww, Gail, I'm so sorry that you are having a tough time. I get the inflammation. It is a biggie in lupus, too. My life got so much better when I started using systemic enzymes for inflammation a few years ago. I take 3 serraptase per day, every day. I only stopped 1 months before my surgery and then started again at my 3 month point. Here is some interesting reading. There is a paragraph or 2 on fibro, too. https://www.energeticnutrition.com/vitalzym/enzymes.html
 
Thanks Nyland those sound promising. Only problem for me right now, is I am waiting approval for my Social Security Disability and have little to no money coming in right now, so can't afford these. But I am going to keep your link and research it again later. Hugs!
 
I wish you both well! Gail, I am so sorry the fibro has been flaring up so much and Nyland with the lupus. Gee, one would think dealing with new knees would be enough. So far, my fibro has been under control, but I did find the article interesting as well.
 
Well today is my 8th month anniversary! I can't believe how fast time has gone by. I am not perfect, but as I have said I am functional. I think my bend is 105-110 and my straightening is about 5 ish. I really haven't measured in a long time. Its hard with this osteoarthritis and fibro flare to to be super positive as I am so stiff and achey and things are so inflammed. But the new knee is okay and I think some of the numb areas are starting to wake up a bit. I get a wierd burning feeling in the new knee, kinda like when you go to the dentist and the novacaine is wearing off. Some days I feel more positive than others, as I still have good and bad days. But, hey I still got a few months until my year is up right?!? Hope you are all doing well! Hugs!
 
Happy anniversary Gail! My goodness time does fly doesn't it! Yes, the more issues we have with our bodies, it seems the harder the recovery, however it seem like you are moving forward my friend! I also still get that little burning feeling in my knees like something is waking up in there! It's all a waiting period isn't it!

Stay well kiddo! I wish you more good days than bad, and more happy days than sad my friend!:friends:
 
Happy anniversary Gail! :martini: May the anniversary "gift" be an inflamation die-down. And Jacky - you're at 11 months! You made me realize my knee #1 is at 6 months today - still lots of numb spots, but no longer problematic.
 
Nanners,
Happy 8th month anniversary :flwrysmile: , don't worry about that 12 month mark.
I am still improving at 19 months, with a little more ROM, less pain, and increased activity.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom