Guest viewing is limited

TKR Nanners adventure to the other side

Status
Not open for further replies.
Congrats on your eight month anniversary, Gail. Sorry to hear you are still having up and down days. You sure are put to the test, but you soldier on, so good on you :thumb:

Pumpkin, that is good to hear that you are still improving after 19 months - very encouraging :thumb:
 
[Bonesmart.org] Nanners adventure to the other side
I think, Gail, that sometimes we might have to accept an outcome that is less than we expected and hoped for. As long as we come out better off than we were and are basically out of pain, that may be what we have to learn to live with and be grateful for. But it never hurts to keep working toward making things better than they are as long as we don't let that take over our lives.


Take care and keep us posted. We care.
[Bonesmart.org] Nanners adventure to the other side
 
You are so right bottomshollow! I am glad not to have that bone on bone pain, so things are better than they were. I don't think I will ever have that perfect happily ever after, but to get what I do have, I am thankful for that. I do have quite a few additional health challenges, so I need to remember that too.

Hey I do have a question about my other knee! With my left knee when I got pain I used to get pain in the lower part of the knee down into the shins. My right knee (non operated) hurts more in the center and the upper part of my knee. Know why it hurts more up higher? By the way this knee still has the meniscus and is not quite bone on bone yet. Just curious........
 
Here it is two weeks since my last post, and still the inflammation is going on. And no I have not gone to the doc yet! :blush: I am going to try to see my family doc early next week, even hubby said lastnight this has been going on too long.

Yesterday was very painful to get up and down and to just walk. Taking pain meds every 6 hours didn't relieve my pain very well. New knee gets sore at times, but nothing like that bone on bone pain. I am still happy I got the knee done, as I can imagine how much worse I would feel. I so wish I could take Advil or Motrin type products as I am sure that would quiet things down.

I am a bit stumped about how they are going to treat this? I feel a bump in pain meds would help, instead of 3 times a day, I think 4 times a day would help. Becuz between my bedtime dose and the morning dose, I feel I am playing catch up with my pain. Not sure if a short course of steroids would help, although I dread that as I feel all the steroids I have taken in my life for my Crohns is what caused my knee needing the tkr in the first place. Nyland, suggested a great natural anti inflammatory, but it is too costly for me at this time.

Anyone else have a natural anti inflammation suggestion? Hugs and hoping everyones new knee are being good to them!
 
Tart cherry juice is supposed to have anti inflammatory properties, and topricin is homeopathic topical anti inflammatory. They may help.
Hoping your knee is better with time!
 
I'm at 11 months one knee, 7 months the other knee and I don't see a difference in either as far as the tightness goes. I can bend them back under a chair for sure but both knees have that constant tight band feeling. I'm getting ready to sell my recumbent bike because I got the coolest step through bike that the base is only 6" off ground, so no more slinging my leg over the bar on my other bike. Do you have the tight band feeling all the time or just some of the time. Mine is all the time and when I don't notice it is when I have taken a couple of tylenol and half a tamerol (sp).
 
Aw sorry to hear you are still having issues with your knee, Gail. We are both still relatively early on in the game, but you shouldn't be suffering like you are. Good idea to see your doc next week.
 
New knee is actually okay. It still gets stiff but I know that is to be expected. But I think all the inflammation in my body is making everything else unhappy. Cflower I do feel the tightness almost all the time, but it doesn't hurt really, just sore sometimes.
 
Well I am now 9 months post LTKR! I am glad I had it done, but I think I am one who is not going to have a perfect knee, and I do accept that now. But I also know, that I still have more healing to go, as I am not even past a year yet. Its kinda wierd, but every so often I have some minor improvement in my ROM. I seem to go back and forth alot. And have read others seem to do the same, so not worrying about that.

But I am wondering if I am doing wrong by my right knee (non operated)? Before I had my left knee operated on I was getting both knee's injected every 3 mos with cortisone. I did have my non operated knee injected October 12, 2012 becuz it was really unhappy with all the extra work it was doing becuz I had the other knee operated on. I have not wanted to repeat the shots, but wondering if I am doing more harm than good. I have lots of inflammation going on in my body right now. I have fibro, Crohn's Disease, and pretty bad osteoarthritis and all are VERY unhappy right now. Sigh!

Do you think I should go ahead and get the knee injected again?
 
Josephine could you advise me on the above post? I have been getting the shots in both knees for over 2 years and was trying hard not to do it again, but the knee became too painful. Will getting all the cortisone shots do any damage, having had so many of them? Thank you!
 
Not at all! I've had dozens of these injections in my shoulders and am still fine! Read this to see why Cortisone shots: are they safe and is there a limit to how many?


As a matter of passing interest, do you ever look in the Library first to see if it's been addressed already? Not that I mind you tagging me at all - just wondered. We have over 200 articles in there, y'know!
 
Josephine, yes I DID read the article first. But it really didn't answer my question, and maybe I didn't post it right. I know that you yourself have had multiple cortisone injections, as I have. What I am trying to ask, is will getting the cortisone shots on fairly regular basis over a long period of time, eventually do damage to my unoperated knee? I know the injections I have already gotten have permanently damaged the skin on my hands and forearms. My skin tears as easily as tissue paper, and/or I get blood blisters under the skin from minor bumps to the areas. So was wondering if it can damage the knee over time too? Thank you for your time.
 
Well, it says it in there as clear as day, Nanners
steroids like prednisolone which is used long term for treating RA and certainly can cause osteoporosis, AVN and various other problems. But the stuff they use for this is neither of those kinds - it's a synthetic steroid called Methylprednisolone.
I have seen no reports of Depo causing issues such as you describe. I would surmise that you were injected with the real stuff - prednisolone - as that does cause those things and it can cause AVN in joints as well. You should check which type you are using.
 
Thank you! I will ask when I see the doc on Wednesday which one they are giving. Cuz right after I get my knee's shot up, the skin issues get worse for like 3-4 months. The skin tears even more easily and blood bruises happen even easier. Thats the answer I was looking for. Because we use steroids (Prednisone) frequently to treat the Crohns Disease, I worry about AVN, as I have had a few friends who have developed it and gone thru hades becuz of it. I will clarify with doc they are using Methylprednisone not Prednisone. Thanks again!
 
Well my nearly 2 months of flaring with my arthritis and fibro are finally quieting down. At least I don't have that burning feeling of the inflammation surging thru my body! That was one of the longest I have had in a long time. But the new knee held up pretty good. Now the right knee is giving me grief, and I will get it injected next week.

If the shots work as well as expected (as they have in the past), I will hopefully be feeling pretty dang good soon. Keep your fingers crossed for me! Hugs!
 
I'm glad to hear you're feeling better!!! Go get that injection in your knee so you will feel fabulous again!!
 
Thanks Nyland those sound promising. Only problem for me right now, is I am waiting approval for my Social Security Disability and have little to no money coming in right now, so can't afford these. But I am going to keep your link and research it again later. Hugs!


Nanners - how is your SSDI application going? I actually filed yesterday since I have so much going on and thought I would check here and see what folks experience might be.

Aileen
 
Also - there are certain foods or spices that have anti-inflammatory properties if you didn't want to purchase an over the counter remedy or prescription. I have a gluten intolerance and my body tends to be inflammed as well and if I stay off gluten then the inflammation reduces I just don't always stay away from gluten.

A friend of mine was on long term high doses of prednisone and she has major medical issues - a lot of neuropathy - also applied for ssdi but waited too long so she is actually losing a bunch of money that she might otherwise would have qualified for.

My eligibility date would be January 2013 I'm just not confident I'll be approved off the bat.
 
Leenie I am currently awaiting a hearing. Attorney says that once he knows who the judge is going to be he will try to get a on the record decision. If not, we still have a excellant chance at the hearing. Most people will get denied on the first try, but don't give up, they are just trying to weed out the fakers. Try to have all your docs on board, your medical records up to date etc and be prepared for a long wait. Also, don't give up, but keep appealling. Those of us over 50 have a better chance, especially if we have the medical records to prove it. Hugs!

As for my knee injection, my right knee is much happier. I can now get up without groaning in pain which is nice. I told hubby today that I would like to try walking again. Before everytime I tried to do any exercise I suffered for 2-3 days after. Time to get back out there and get this knee moving again. Hugs!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom