Guest viewing is limited

TKR Nanners adventure to the other side

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have arthritis in my feet and plantar fasciitis in my heels. Yesterday I put the shoe inserts in and we walked a fair amount. I am not sure if its the amount I walked or becuz of the inserts, but boy am I achey and sore. Even my good knee was yelling at me! I try to keep walking to build my strength, but I hate that I still get that beat up feeling later or the next day. Sigh!
 
Just popping in to say hello! Knee doing okay, still have some stiffness and soreness at 6.5 mos out. But I figure that is normal. Praying that it gets better as time goes on.

Hubby removed the blocks on the couch cuz Flea's ball kept going under it and I thought I was further enough along that it wouldn't cause any issues. Wrong! Had a bad fibromyalgia day yesterday, and getting up from the couch was miserable. Or if we have walked a fair amount, getting up is ouchy. But I guess its probably good therapy to help build up the knee strength at this point. But it sure does make me go "Ouch"! :groan:

Hope everyone is doing well! Hugs!
 
Isn't it funny that even months out it is still a one step forward slide back a half...sure didn't anticipate that! Glad to hear you are walking to build strength and persisting in the face of difficulties. Your thread is one I read for inspiration when I get down so I am always happy to hear of your progress.
 
Well today is my 7 month anniversary since I had my Left TKR. Am I glad I had it done? Yes for the most part. I don't miss that grinding knee pain. But what I have now, while it is functional, its a still slightly stiff knee, that still gets sore once in awhile. I do not have super ROM, but my bend is 105 to 110 and my straigtening is probably about a 5 give or take a few. I find I am able to walk further distances all the time. I am not doing 6-7 miles a day like some, but I am happy that I can walk the boardwalk and back now and take Flea for walks.

I have other health challenges in my life (Crohns Disease, Fibro, Osteoarthritis) that have slowed my journey down and makes it not so fun on some days. I also have Plantar Fasciitis and arthritis in my feet, that was quiet most of the first 6 months or so, but has made a return the past month or so. And that is quite painful once I sit and rest after a walk, then try to walk again, I am so miserable. Its like walking on the bare bones of your feet vs walking on soft pads. I have a podiatrist appt, but thats not until April 24th. I think if I can get that calmed down, maybe I will be able to walk even further.

Hope you are all recovering well! Hugs!
 
Congrats on the 7 months. You are making steady progress despite dealing with your other health issues. There are some shoe inserts which may help the PF. Slightly curling your toes when walking can also take a bit of tension off this troublesome tissue. I hope Flea gets a nice outing on the Boardwalk this Easter weekend.
 
Congratulations on your 7 month anniversary, Nanners!! You have come through quite a journey my dear. I'm so glad you're continuing to improve. Here's hoping the podiatrist will help with the PF.
There's almost nothing worse than painful feet. ( or back!).

((((((((((( HUGS ))))))))) for you Nanners !!
 
Congrats Gail on your 7 month anniversary! I am so glad you are able to walk more. I know your other issues will periodically give you grief, but it is great that your knee gets better and better. Good going recovery buddy! :puppysmooze: :kittykiss:
 
Good to hear from you, Gail. Congratulations on your seven month anniversary. What a journey it has been for us both - more for you with your other health issues though. My ROM is the same as yours and I guess my extension is the same too. Hopefully we can improve on the ROM in due course.

I do hope you can find a solution for the problem with your feet.
 
That's the name of my thread. I really prefer hugging you all than hugging the handrails. So, let's make it a warm group hug! :friends:
 
Thank you all so much for your support. I feel like I am doing well with the knee, but the arthritis and plantar fasciitis are making it harder of late. I was given some supports for my shoes, but when I used them it made my knees and feet hurt even worse. Both of my knees (new and old) hurt incredibly bad when I used them. Was speaking to my GI the other day about it, he uses orthotics too, and he said if they aren't the right ones for your feet that this can happen and has happened to him too. So I have a podiatry appt in a few weeks, so hoping he will have some other ideas to help out. Fingers crossed! Hugs!
 
I was talking with DHare63 about plantar fasciitis recently, too. My orthopedic gave me a plastic brace to wear at night. It was light, but strong and had velcro straps that made it easy to get in and out of. It made a night and day difference to me. When I wore it at night it would keep my foot from stretching out and then the next morning I was fine. If I didn't wear it and my foot slept in a stretched out pointed fashion, I would be in pain when I first started walking the next day. I'm going to talk to my RedCord PT tomorrow to see what she thinks about connections between TKR, arthritic knees and plantar faciitis. I wonder if there may be something to this.
Dhare63
 
Josephine is it normal to have some stiffness and soreness at 7 mos out? I can walk a fair distance now, but later on I am really stiff and sore. And getting up and getting going is still a challenge as I am a gimp for a few steps. Just curious if this is all normal for where I am at? Thank you!
 
"Normal" is such a difficult thing to quantify. It depends what's causing it whether it's 'normal' or not. Got any ideas?
 
Nanners, maybe the stiffness and soreness is being caused by your extension. My PT told me that when the leg doesn't extend all the way when you take a step, that the tendons and muscles are being pulled. Same when we sit for a while and then stand and take that first few steps. The muscles and tendons can't 'stretch' out and become used to being contracted. Can cause some spasms and aching too.

Put that on top of the fibro and your other health issues, and I can only imagine how you must ache you poor dear. But actually, Gail, with everything you have on your plate health wise, you have done sooooo well with this knee recovery!!

My hats off to you for your persistence dearheart.
 
Hey, sweetie! Yes, I think that it is normal. My knee is 8.5 months and although it feels great, it can be stiff at times. What really helps me is the recumbent bike. Oh, does it feel fantastic after a good stretching. I don't go fast, or use tension, I just go at a comfy pace. There are 2 other machines that I found at the gym that really help the tightness. One, believe it or not, is an ab machine. I don't do it for the abs, but it stretches the extension and feels fabulous! The other is one that I use with no tension. I just bend and stretch. This one is so enjoyable and easy that I take my cases and bend and stretch until I've read all of my cases that day.
It's a journey, we knew that way back when the funk set in.....BUT, we have each other and together we will face the ups, downs, and in betweens. Sometimes we are the cheerleader, sometimes the shoulder, if your name is Jacky, you are always upbeat :heehee:, and we will always have understanding and compassion for each other.
I feel blessed that you are one of my journey mates!
 
Gail, I think this sounds normal at seven months. As you know, I'm one week ahead of you and although I can't say I suffer with soreness, the knee does still get stiff at times.
 
Tony I think you maybe right, that my extension is not 100%. I did a good walk yesterday, but I was stiff and a little sore afterwards. Its not a sore I need meds for, just makes it to where I have to walk slower. And yes the stupid fibro and osteoarthritis I have add to the issue. I have to say it does help some for the hip pain (walking). But the stiffness likes to hang around.

Makes me feel better to hear others in my surgical time frame, still have some stiffness. I won't worry about it and just continue doing my walks etc. Hugs!
 
I have had a horrid flare of arthritis and my fibromyalgia for the past week or so. Everything has been so stiff, tight and really inflammed. I felt even like my ROM was going backwards, cuz it just hurt to move too much. So I have had to have pretty quiet days with not much but running a few errands as needed.

Lastnight as I was laying in bed, had taken my nighttime meds, and hubby and I were laying in bed watching TV and just relaxing. I had thrown my legs over him and was just comfy. Thats when it kinda clicked in my head how much BOTH of my legs were bent. I am 100% sure I have MORE bend in my new knee. Even told my husband, "who would have ever thought 7 months ago I would be laying like this again!"

I am not one who is doing super 80 mile walks or even doing any exercises other than walking around in regular life. But to me at least, it seems that it is just coming along with time. So those discouraged with their ROM and worrying if it will ever come, I am proof that it comes without you even trying so hard. It was wierd too as I felt I could have bent it more, but was scared to push it too much. Whoo Hoo! And big hugs to you all!
 
[Bonesmart.org] Nanners adventure to the other side
And for you, Gail, just living your life is getting it done slowly but surely. What a happy little moment for you---thanks for sharing it with us.

Take care and keep us posted. You know we care. [Bonesmart.org] Nanners adventure to the other side
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom