TKR Nanners adventure to the other side

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well celebrating my 10 mos anniversary with my new knee. I can tell you it gets better and better all the time. I still have stiffness and expect that to be around a bit more, but its not so often anymore. I do notice, like everyone said, that I am getting more and more ROM all the time. Leg is still not straight, but much improved. Knee goes under the chair comfortably now too. My other knee is much happier since I got it injected and the inflammation in my body is much calmer too.

I did have a big dental emergency and was a bit freaked out for a bit. But dentist gave me 5 days of antibiotics to take after to prevent issues. Just waiting now for the work to be finished. Hope you are all recovering well. Hugs!
 
Glad you are still making forward progress. As you know, patience is the key. It just takes longer for some of us. I'm also happy the shot helped you. Try not to worry about your dental emergency. I know how it can freak you out, though. I had an infected tooth pop up right after my TKR and had a root canal at 7 weeks out. I'm just now (at 4 months) starting to relax about it all, as everything seems just fine. When it's YOU, it's always a bit scary, isn't it!
 
Thanks I am for sure feeling much more hopeful now. Its just a really really slow ride! And Jamie, much calmer now that I know the knee will be okay. At one point he was discussing a root canal, and that made me more nervous. But all is good now!
 
Well today is my one year anniversary of my LTKR. I will tell you that life is functional with my new knee. Is it perfect? Nope! But its good enough, and I am sure it will get better even more over time. I am aware that I had a knee replacement. I still get very stiff frequently, and sometimes I wonder if that's just part of life with a knee replacement. Like you are always going to know that that is not the knee you were born with. I no longer have that bone on bone pain though. Would I do it again? Yes, because how bad the pain was, I couldn't stand that pain anymore. I would say my ROM is still about 105 and 5. But it works!

I worry about the other knee, but so far, I have been able to get it injected and that makes me more comfortable. But wow when the shots wear off, the other knee hurts really bad when its mad, even worse than the replaced knee gave me before surgery. I am sure one day I will have to do the other, but if I can put that off as long as possible, I will. I am not interested in doing this again. I found it so incredibly painful, and with all the other health challenges I have, I can't even go there yet. I am so impressed with those who have gone ahead and done the other knee, you are so brave. My memory I guess is still too fresh to attempt that again. But I do know that when the time comes, I will be better prepared, and make sure I have a good supply of pain meds on hand, so I am not having to have someone run to the docs to pick it up for me. My helpers kinda crapped out on me last time. Hugs to you all!
 
Yeah. Congrats on your anniversary... I had mine July ...like you I still know my knee is fake and still have ocassional stiffness and warmth.. Would I do it over????? YES YES YES.. Those painul times after surgery really just dont compare to the nagging gnawing pain I had with my old knee... Hoping you fix your other one begore more damage is done. Mt doc told me its easier to heal if you dont wait too long...
Thats jp to you tho... I pray you do well either way.... Im facing another spine surgery.... Ouch ouch !!!!! Not sur yet but but. meet with a surgeon in September... Congrats again.... Im so proud of you...lovya girl..
 
Happy Anniversary Nanners!! :yahoo: It certainly sounds like you are in a good place with the new knee and have a plan with your right knee. I expect you are right ~ we will all always have occasional reminders that we don't have our "original equipment," but thank goodness we had the option to eliminate the quality-of-life-sapping pain that brought us to this point. Carry on girl - you are doing awesome!
 
It feels good just hitting the one year mark so you can pause and reflect upon what's transpired in the past year. Glad you can look back and see gains. My one year was a month ago. I know that feeling and agree - the knee is fake and I still have stiffness.
 
Gail, I'm happy to hear that you are glad you had your LTKR done! :thumb: Happy (1 year) Anniversary my friend! It was quite a recovery roller coaster but you made it! :yay: As for your right knee, you'll know when it's time, and you'll be glad when it's behind you when it happens!

Stay well, and do take care!
 
Happy Anniversary Nanners! That is awesome. Sounds like you are happy with your new knee. My anniversary is coming up and I can't believe a whole years has gone by. Just thinking back to a year ago on this day and all the pain I had...I know we've all made the right choices. Everyday is an improvement...way to go! I hear you in regards to the pain, it was incredible, and the health challenges that go along, I hear you on that to, I have a few of my own. So holding off on that other knee as long as you can is a choice I would make as well :)
 
Congrats Nanners! You are the story of persistence! You have been challenged in so many ways yet you keep your chin up and offer support and comfort to anyone who needs it. That's character right there!

I wish you all the best for a year of continued progress.

Be well,

Dawn
 
Happy Anniversary Nanners. I know you have had a bumpy ride with your recovery with your other health issues as well so its nice to read a positive post for your 12month status. I am with you on having the other knee done. I still call my un operated knee my good knee so I don't think Im ready yet to get No. 2 done. I concentrate on the good things I can do now and the best feeling is not to have the bone on bone pain all the time. Hope you keep recovering in great strides. You have been a constant source of reassurance to a lot of people on this forum so Thank You for that. Sending you Hugs x x x
 
Happy Anniversary Nanners! You have had such a tough go of everything - it's impressive to hear how positive you are! I hope your other knee lets you wait as long as you need to and, yes, it will be different because you will be so prepared! Amazing how we got into this not really knowing, huh? It was such a shock to have the pain and need so much help (which wasn't set up!) Good luck, keep coming on and letting us know how you are! xoxom
 
Thank you all! I am glad I did it, and even happier that the knee while not perfect, is working for me! Hugs!
 
Happy anniversary to you and your knee Gail!!! I'm so glad your knee is getting better all the time my dear. How are you feeling in general dearone? I think about you often and pray that Crohns is not making you miserable. You are one strong lady and I know you deal with it every day. Here's hoping you've been in remission!!! Take care my friend. :friends:
 
Hi Gail, Nanners. I can only re-iterate what has been said above. But anyway, congrats on your first anniversary and it is good to hear you saying you are glad you done it, after this roller coaster ride. And what a ride, aye?

Aside from your other health issues, our knee journeys have been very similar. It's always good to hear how you are doing. Love and the best of wishes to you, Gail :flwrysmile:
 
Titianlady thank you for asking. My Crohns is behaving of late, tummy finally calming down from all the trauma the tkr brought. I found after my tkr that I can no longer take Tylenol. It now gives me gastritis. I can take one Tylenol if I have a headache or something, but can't take it twice or the gastritis hits again. So none of the over the counter analgesics is allowed anymore. Sigh!

We have had a very humid summer, and I also have chronic pain and fibromyalgia, and that has been quite ticked off this summer. Normally this time of year I feel my best, but not this year. Been hurting all summer. Spoke to friends across the USA who suffer similar issues, and they have all said the weird summer they have had too, has increased their pain levels too. So I know I am not alone.

I hope you are doing well, I try to pop in every so often so I can see how my buddies are doing. Take care and big hugs!
 
Gail, Happy belated anniversary! We did finally make it even though it sometimes seemed like the year was taking forever. I worry about my other knee too, and it definitely impacts my ability to walk, but I, like you, am not ready to go there anytime soon.
 
Hey Lisa, good to hear from you! I am so glad we became recovery buddies! We both didn't have stellar recoveries, but we did it, sliding in sideways. LOL Hope life is treating you well! xoxo Hugs!
 
Well on Monday I had my one year check up (late), but all looks good. The doc did say that the stiffness more than likely will always be around. I guess that's okay, it doesn't hurt, but that stiffness does get a bit old sometimes. KathyH guess we will just have to live with our occasional stiff knees. :)

Did get my other knee injected. I have been lasting about 5-6 mos., so that keeps things happy for now. Hugs!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom